Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2017-2018

Poster: A snowHead
Kooky wrote:
his music was awesome! I will really miss that hut too, you could really tell almost everything in it was proper home made especially the zirben schnapps we always seemed to get plied with! Tell you what though, if you loved that place you wil llike our new local,the Moosalm, its a short 30 min ski tour from our house and only seats about 40 people. Its as oringinal as they come and impossible to leave after just one beer. Took my dad in there and a friend of Scarpas and they both said it was the best hut they have been to, not for decor but for sheer ambience and home made food.
The ski down to the house is a bit perilous though Shocked

Kooky where is this Moosalm please, I’m thinking a trip there in March is needed Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Redman77, eben
https://www.facebook.com/moosalmeben/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@holidaylover thanks for the heads up.
In all the years I have been skiing in Altenmarkt I have never been to Eben (and we have actually stayed at Sinnhubbauer a couple of times too🙈), but I might try and convince the group to head up that way this year so we can try Moosalm out Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Redman77, we had a lovely few hours there at Christmas. It's not very big but worth it in good conditions after a lie in.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Look for some suggestions from the experts.

I am hoping to head out to Ski Amade 3rd March for 6 days with my friend and 10 year old son. I was looking at Landhaus Steiner in Altenmarkt which seems a decent central location to explore from. I just wondered if anyone had any other ideas or top tips?

Sadly Haus Susanne seems to be fully booked (well happily for them Smile ). We don't need anything too lively but a bit of life would be nice. We will probably go to Therme Amade whilst there, and from my experience we have enjoyed skiing Zauchensee, Wagrain, Hochkonig, Flachauwinkl etc. We will have a car, and I'd like to ski Werfenweng on one day. My son loves Pizza, so any votes for a good pizza place would be great. Should I be looking at a different place to base myself? Or does someone know of any great small hotels or pensions that would be worth a look?

Thanks

Jon
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jonkgray78, I should be out there that week with my sons and grandson. You chose the wrong week for Haus Suzanne as it will be full of Snowheads I believe.

There’s a great pizza place in Altenmarkt here. http://pinocchio-altenmarkt.at/ But you may need to book.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have stayed at steiner...nice people
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Redman77, it's nothing fancy in there. I don't think it's been changed in all the time it's been there but my goodness the food is good and the ambience if you get a good day is amazing. Almost only locals in there from about 4pm and every night in the season it's open til 20.00 sometimes a lot later if there is a crowd. Alois the owner has sledges for the way down although there are some serious drops it's really quite dangerous so take it easy. I think you can also ski down on the piste at night as there is no winch work but I will ask him just in case. If you let me know when you are here we can meet you for a few beers up there if you like!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[@Kooky
Saw this late and thanks for offer...i am in maria alm at mo...and my off piste not up to yours and would delay you😂😂...what a 6 days of powder tho😀..awesome time..
Home tom tjen back to schladming 5th..
Hope timing is as good as this time
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@geepee, Thanks for the recommendation, it looks great!

@holidayloverxx, Thanks Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Kooky it certainly does sound like a worthwhile venture up there, especially the sledge back down, we return to Hochnossler every time for that very same reason 😂
It’s now just a matter of convincing the rest of the group to leave their safety net of Zauchensee and trying Eben for the day rolling eyes
It would be good if we could all meet up for a drink though 👍🏻
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Redman77, tbh Eben only has 2 runs which although are long and fun there's not more than a mornings skiing there. It's a great place for beginners or families with small kids but I think you would be done in a couple of hours.

@seany1, Have a great time over there!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Kooky, Sounds like a morning skiing and a long lunch day. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kooky wrote:
Anyone out here this week will be having a ball Very Happy

I can confirm that we had a ball out here. Very Happy

Lovely accommodation - thanks Kooky! Love the town and love the resorts. Did Altenmarkt/Radstadt then Zauchensee/Flachauwinkl then Flachau/Kleinarl/Flachauwinkl. Snow was epic on days 1 & 2 (visibility not so great but snow made up for it - powder EVERYWHERE) and just "great" on day 3 when the sun got his hat on.

Had a great trip and it's high on our list to repeat now we know where everything is and how it works.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@carled, Did you manage to get to the Dampfkessel? Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@geepee, yes indeedy!
@carled, I am really glad you had a lovely time here....but then I knew you would wink Have a safe travel back, no time to ski in the morning? You can always grab a quick morning session if you have a late afternoon flight!
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
@carled, Did you manage to get to the Dampfkessel? Madeye-Smiley

Sadly, no. We intended to but Flachau was filled with crowds of nobbish skiers (and some boarders to be fair) and I was getting concerned about my daughters safety so we headed up to Kleinarl in the afternoon. For a future trip!
snow report
Kooky wrote:
@geepee, yes indeedy!
@carled, I am really glad you had a lovely time here....but then I knew you would wink Have a safe travel back, no time to ski in the morning? You can always grab a quick morning session if you have a late afternoon flight!

Off early, I'm afraid. 12 noon flight, so leaving altenmarkt before 9am. Thanks again for letting us stay!
ski holidays
Just returned from 3 nights in Flachau. Had an awesome time. Perfect conditions.
I intend to post a quick TR separately but thought I would come on this thread to thank you all for your advice and suggestions.
12 very tired and very hoarse men are extremely grateful!
latest report
@jonkgray78. I have been leading school parties to this area for more than 15 now. Altenmarkt is a perfect base for some outstanding skiing. In addition to the slopes you have mentioned you should also consider Forstau and Reiteralm. Forstau does not have the greatest uplift (old 2 man chairs X2 and lots of T-bars) but once at the top it has some superb slopes that I am sure your son would enjoy. Our kids go there on day 3 and always improve enormously. Reiteralm is much larger and modern and is one of the Austrian Ski Teams training bases. There is a huge variety of skiing. Back in Altenmarkt, make sure you try Noah's Ark (l'Arche Noah) restaurant for Pizza or other Italian style food. Superb.
latest report
Visited Maria Alm today and a) really liked it and b) was surprised that it was part of the Ski Amade area. Question for the folks with property out here - how did you decide where to buy? There seems to be an endless selection of lovely little ski villages and I don't know where to begin!
snow conditions
@Valkyrie, I couldn't afford what I wanted in Maria Alm or Zell am See. I saw my apt online, went to see it and bought it. I had never heard of Flachau, never seen it in winter. I posted about it and Flangesax basically said I couldn't go wrong - they were right.

I had a wish list, as I expect you do. I had to compromise e.g. no balcony and on the 4th floor with no lift, but bigger than other flats I looked at and nearer the lift. TBH I got lucky location wise
ski holidays
@Valkyrie, there is an endless selection of lovely little ski villages. Unfortunately there isn’t an endless selection of lovely properties in those villages. Certainly not when you’re unable to live in one full time (yet).
latest report
@hammerite, you´d be surprised what you can find if you know where to look wink
Scarpa and me found our gorgeous little mountain side house through a page called Willhaben. Its mainly for private buyers/sellers so you dont pay horrific estate agen fees. There are some wonderful places there and still realtively affordble. Here is the link, obviously its all in German but if anyone need help translating just pm me.
https://www.willhaben.at/iad/immobilien/
snow report
@hammerite, and there's your 2 bed apt in Flachau €250,000 but it is through an agent (SAGE...the people I bought mine through)

https://www.willhaben.at/iad/immobilien/eigentumswohnung/salzburg/sankt-johann-im-pongau/schoene-2-zimmerwohnung-im-zentrum-von-flachau-235946055/
ski holidays
I found my lovely rental apartment on Willhaben too. No agency fees. Bonus!
ski holidays
You could always buy my 3 bed flat, its wonderful!
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
@hammerite, and there's your 2 bed apt in Flachau €250,000 but it is through an agent (SAGE...the people I bought mine through)

https://www.willhaben.at/iad/immobilien/eigentumswohnung/salzburg/sankt-johann-im-pongau/schoene-2-zimmerwohnung-im-zentrum-von-flachau-235946055/

Caroline at Sage already emailed this to me and has called me a couple of times. Not a holiday home or second home unfortunately. We’re a couple of years off being able to make a full time move unfortunately.

Willhaben is a new site for me though so thanks.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BTW flying out on Saturday for the week. Staying in the Winterer near the Hochwurzen lift mid point. In the middle of nowhere but it’s a week organised by Jnr’s ski team. The OH and I will be around if anyone else is around and not worried about avoiding crowds!
ski holidays
Just come back from 2 weeks in Ski Amade - 1 week in Bad Hofgastein then a week in Wagrain.
We only lost 1 day's actual skiing (most lifts closed in Gastein valley due to blizzards and avalanche risk), but there was a bit of duff weather - which didn't stop us!
Both places were excellent - great skiing apart from a few zippety-doo-dah straight-liners (as someone above said, Flachau was probably the worst for this), and some great restaurants in Bad Hofgastein (especially the Italian Gastronomie) - stayed 1/2 board in Wagrain so only went to PeopleZ bar forDunkel bier.
Only downside to the skiing was signposting left something to be desired, and the Ski Amade app was generally a bit rubbish - on the map you couldn't tell what was up or down, no run numbers and weather forecast and trend was in German though the rest of the app was English.
Would definitely go again - but possibly not driving this time; it seemed to take forever, especially as we got caught in big jams in Brussels, Stuttgart and Munich.
latest report
Heading out to Bad Hofgastein in a couple of weeks, been there once 12 years ago, did you go up to Sportgastein or as the snow is good this season is it not worth it? Have booked ski hire from one of the shops at the lift station as they mentioned lockers which would save carting them on the ski bus every day, any experience of this?
snow conditions
somborneski wrote:
Heading out to Bad Hofgastein in a couple of weeks, been there once 12 years ago, did you go up to Sportgastein or as the snow is good this season is it not worth it? Have booked ski hire from one of the shops at the lift station as they mentioned lockers which would save carting them on the ski bus every day, any experience of this?

Didn't get to Sportgastein as the snow was excellent everywhere else - was advised to choose a calm day with really good visibility. The only really good weather day we were changing accommodation to Wagrain so went to Dorfgastein instead.
Saw the lockers but never used them - it was about 100m to the skibus from our apartment then the same from the bus to the lift so didn't think it was worth the 5euro each!
ski holidays
@burkeyblue, Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.
ski holidays
Leonard Smalls.Just back from great week in Bad Hofgastein.Found the skiing really good plenty of tough long red runs.Skied all the areas and our favourite was the Dorfgastein area especially the Grossarl side of the valley.We found the mountain huts much better quality in the Grossarl area than any of the gastein ones.Sprortgastein was enjoyable for a half days skiing . We ate a few times in the Italian restaurant in Bad Hof and all agreed it to be top class.Only down side to to the area was the zero Apres ski and the slightly dated lift system.All in all we really enjoyed the area.
snow report
@chick, @Leonard smalls thanks for the tips. Looks about 250m to the bus stop so will see how we get on. Not much into the Apres so not worried about the lack of it.
snow report
I’ve skied scandinavia for the last 5 years but thought we’d give this area a try. It was so lovely having a hot chocolate sat outside in the sun. As much as I have enjoyed Scandinavia, we never really saw any sun.
ski holidays
So yesterday we decided to take the blue off 1A at Haus to take us to the Tauren Seilbahn. Never been down there before and I don’t think we will ever again! It was nice enough for a tourist trip but not for the speed of getting back to the top to meet KevWal for lunch.

Locals, what’s the deal with it?

Firstly there some artistic licence with the piste map - it looks like the blue goes all the way to the lift station. The blue stops in the village and then there’s an uphill walk for a couple of hundred metres.

When we arrived at the lift station we saw the tiny ancient biscuit tin going up with its huge capacity of 80 passengers an hour. There was another bloke waiting who was equally as bemused as us. Why hasn’t it been replaced with something more modern (the surrounding lift station building looks fairly modern)? Does it have protected/listed status? In reality is it viewed as a tourist attraction as opposed to a ski lift?
snow report
@Chick, we had a short break in bad hof in jan and could have written your review ,exactly as we found the area we had fun but the lack of apres would put us off going back for more than a few days and the constant bussing here and there but we did enjoy the ski areas and the italian restaurant if you mean the one in the corner of the square is as you say very good both food wise and value
ski holidays
@hammerite, its quaint! A real bit of history, I have never used it but Scarpa has Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
@hammerite, They keep it as a quaint throw back. I've only taken it from the very bottom once and downloaded Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy