Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2017-2018

Poster: A snowHead
Def the forests at Zauchensee but you can't ski to there from Wagrain.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
but you can get the bus to Kleinarl and ski over from Flachauwinkl, but perhaps only runs from the graffenberg lift station
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
holidayloverxx wrote:
but you can get the bus to Kleinarl and ski over from Flachauwinkl, but perhaps only runs from the graffenberg lift station

Yep, I'm familiar with this route (although because I started from alpendorf I only made it to the Kleinarl ski area). How long does it take from the top of Kleinarl to get over to Z?

Thanks for the info all, btw.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pendodave, from the top of Kleinarl to the bottom of Flachauwinkl I would say 10-15 mins, then the bus 15 mins if you just miss one. Highpoint lift to top of Zauch 10 mins
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi all
We’ll be visiting Schladming from the 27th and I was wondering where best to take a 3rd week skier (my other half) on the first day. She just started tackling a few reds at Christmas but I’d like to ski some easier stuff with her on the first morning (at least). I skied there myself a few years ago and thought it was great, but unfortunately can’t remember where the gentler slopes are.

So would you bypass Planai altogether to start with and head to the Rohrmoos or Hauser Kaibling blues? Or would the blue slopes on Planai around the Super Park be a good starting point?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@holidayloverxx, good to meet you too and look forward to skiing with you again.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Valluga, i would start at Hauser....quiet easy slopes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nobrainbcn wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of finally coming to Ski Amadé from next Saturday (20 Jan), just a couple of questions:

- where would you advise me to stay, considering I won't have a car and I'd like to explore as much of the area as I can? is there a place from which a lot of slopes are connected by skis, or is it mostly done via skibus?

- any advice on accommodation? I'll be travelling alone, looking for a not-too-expensive-but-not-too-tiny-either room - if it has a micro-kitchen, great, otherwise I'll make do with salads at night Wink

Thanks for your tips in advance Smile

Flachau/Wagrain would be worthwhile bases. Easy access to a wide area either directly or with a short journey on the ski bus (Wagrain to Kleinark or Flachau to Flachauwinkl). Schladming also has direct access to a large area plus a short bus ride to Fageralm if you want a change.

Kooky’s suggestion of Saalbach is a good one too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saalbach is not on the Amade pass. Just incase you didn't know.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for the advice @holidayloverxx,
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the advice @holidayloverxx,
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Think it's about €25 per week to upgrade the Amade pass to the SuperSalzburg which covers a much larger area.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi, all you wonderful Ski Amadeans! Thanks to your advice I have booked a group of us to stay in Flachau (Hotel Kristall near Achterlift) for 3 nights from Wednesday next week and I really can't wait. You have given good advice about Apres (one of the bars at the bottom of the piste- eg Umbrella bar/Dampfkessel, followed by Musistadl and Yetis), but I am not sure about best ski routes/ areas. I thought maybe one day to head over towards Alpendorf and another to Zauchensee- is it worth the bus trip? Are there any runs in particular we should head for? We are all decent skiers, with a couple who are keen on off piste and a couple of borders to slow us down.
I'm also struggling to see whether there is any night skiing in town?
Finally, do you have any tips for good piste side eateries?

Many thanks again in advance.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@EdYarker, omgosh where do I start!
Zauchensee is 100% worth the trip if we have fresh snow, maybe give Scarpa a shout out he´d be very happy to show you about our secret stashes!
If you are over that way head to the newly owned Adlershorst for lunch, incredible food and very reasonable its my new favourite place to eat over there.
https://www.facebook.com/AdlerhorstZauchensee/

In Flachau almost every hut is great, I am very fond of the Lisa Alm although it is pricey, or for really great value try the Auhofalm on the mid station down to Wagrain (Flying Mozart) It can get a bit busy but you can always try and sit upstairs, a lot of people forget that,and its quieter up there if you can get a table.

There is Night Skiing but I seem to remember its not on the ski pass Puzzled

The Musistadl is always a fun night out too......if you have the energy!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have just remembered on of the absloute best places to eat if you like hefty home made Austrian food, The Frauernalm over on Flachauwinkl side of Zauchensee. Its probably the cheapest food on the mountain but boy is it good! Its a very basic hut and self service,and sometimes the food comes out on weird looking plates but they do one of the best Tiroler Gröstls, I can almost feel my waistband expanding just thinking about it Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@EdYarker, next door to my place - very nice. yes to zauchensee (its only 10 minutes in the bus - the stop is at the bottom of the street and turn right, about 50 yards - runs every 20 minutes. it will say Flachauwinkl but stops at Highport first for the Zauch side. on the way back get off at the Paulerei - just after the Jagdhof restaurant on the corner) and alpendorf via the g-link, or ski to the bottom of the flying mozart and get the bus to wagrain, grafenberg lift. On the way back (make sure you are back at the flying mozart before the last lift otherwise it's a taxi back) ski down to the bottom of the acherjet for the umbrella bar or the bottom of the space jet 1 for the dampfkessel. No night skiing.

Best huts in Flachau are the Auhofalm just above the Flying Mozart mid station, Herzerlalm at the bottom of the achterjet, Lisa Alm underneath the top of the achterjet (sort of). There are loads but I tend to go to the ones I like.

Runs in Flachau: Run 1 world cup run, Flying Mozart and Rote 8 (don't know the actual numbers) - the 2 runs from teh top of the mountain going over the Wagrain side. Black run at the top of the Top liner lift. Any of the runs down from the top of the star jet 3 lift (the very top) down to the valley - there are several alternatives and you can do it several times doing different bits
snow report
@Kooky, I think they stopped night skiing years ago - I have never seen it in 6 years - you are right it wasn't on the pass.

also yes, upstairs at the auholfalm for service
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, has the night skiing stopped? It it just the rodelbahn thats lit up at night?
re.Herzerlalm, have you ever had the cheeseboard in there? I think its one of the best I have ever had, comes with home made pastries and about 3 different relishes.
latest report
@Kooky, yep. you see floodlights but there is no skiing.

Herzerlalm - no so I need to do that. BTW Tuesday ribs at Herzerlalm - better than Auhofalm!
snow report
@holidayloverxx, sorry to hijack this thread with food, but have you eaten in the Essgalerie yet? I have heard very mixed reports but as its owned by Max, the ex chef from Lisa Alm, I am really curious.
ski holidays
@holidayloverxx, ah, but are they as good as the TrinkerAlm? Thats a hard one to top!
ski holidays
@Kooky, I think so; Trinkeralm ribs are good but i thought these the best ever - you will have to try; tuesday special

Essgalerie - yes about 5 times. I agree mixed, but good more often than not. The menu is quite limited, service can be iffy but it has improved recently. Possruck is my number 1 (and they know me there now) and Zum Holzwurm is number 2. Essgalerie sits with Schusterhausl and Hoagascht in "the rest" of the posh category. I want to try Flachauerhof since it's been done up and there is fondue at the Ennshof. Salzburger is great for burgers, Weinstadl for pizza and pasta, Jagdhof good pizzas and OK austrian but the smoking area is next to the non-smoking (which is not big enough). Schnitzel Eck is ok, not the best schnitzel but you can basically make your own up from all the options.
snow report
Thank you for your replies. I now feel ridiculously hungry!
Shame to hear that's there's no night skiing, especially when Flachau is known for it's World Cup Night ski event. Oh well, all the more time for a longer dinner- which looks like it will be needed.

Thanks for the instructions on how to get to Zauchensee by bus. Is it possible to get from the Zauchensee area to the Flachauwinkl area by ski/foot? The map I'm looking at shows quite a main road between them but it's difficult to see how easy that is to cross.
latest report
@EdYarker, there is a shuttle bus that runs between Zauchensee and Flachauwinkl which only takes a few minutes so the two areas are effectively linked.
snow report
@EdYarker, there is a shuttle bus runs every 10 mins and takes 4 mins. It is walkable (under the motorway) but there isn't any point really. The shuttle bus says "shuttle" on the side and stops just outside the High Port entrance. You get the bus back to Flachau from Flachauwinkl (same bus as serves Zauch - it will say Flachau on the destination). I you go to Flachauwinkl, as Debbie says Frauernalm is great - just underneath the Powder Shuttle lift, or Winklalm at the top of the 1st lift (Sunshine Shuttle)
snow report
That's great. Thanks. And is the snow decent at the moment? I'm guessing 'yes.'
ski holidays
@EdYarker, terrific last week. could do with a top up esp for off piste (think it snowed over the last couple of days and more forecast) but best for years IMO
latest report
Superb! The forecasts I've viewed say plenty of snow over the next few days and the weekend and then nice and clear for when we are there. I know that can all change in the next 7 days but I dare to dream!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@EdYarker, its supposed to be a major dump here overnight, will post you a pic in the morning, at the moment only a few cms but damn freezing!
snow report
@holidayloverxx, when you are next here you must do Tischlerei in Schladming.

http://www.dietischlerei.co.at/de/
Without a doubt the finest food I have ever eaten in Austria, but my wallet cant keep up Sad Well worth the trip if you want to spoil yourself or for a special occasion.
snow report
@Kooky, would love too but someone has to drive
latest report
@holidayloverxx, we do have taxis in Austria wink
snow report
@Kooky, how much though?
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, between 4 its about 15 each. Although tbh the last time I ate there the wine was so expensive I left sober, so I will offer to be designated driver if you want!
snow conditions
@Kooky, I'll bear it in mind!
snow conditions
I just want ski-prawns
ski holidays
Drooling on my pillow
ski holidays
lots of snow to wake up to! Anyone coming out this week will have a blast! Trying to upload a pic but I am a bit dim Puzzled
snow report
Kooky wrote:
Anyone coming out this week will have a blast! /

That'll be me then Cool
ski holidays
Sounds great... so where in Ski Amade would you say is the absolute best place to stay if you don't have a car, in terms of access to most slopes?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy