Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Amadé 2017-2018

Poster: A snowHead
So maybe 3rd September is a bit premature for a new season snow report thread, but there is snow to report! In true Germanic calendar-related seasonal change we went from 30+ temperatures in August a few days ago to struggling to reach double figures and a dusting of snow at higher levels in early September.

[/img]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like the second pic a lot. Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A bit less vis and it would look like Obertauern Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pfft, lives there 2 minutes and thinks she owns the place wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarpa wrote:
A bit less vis and it would look like Obertauern Laughing

Oh rats. We are going there in February. Is there something about the place I should know then?!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was glorious on the 2 days I skied there Wink
And 4C in the July the year I drove over the Tauernpass rather than thru the Tauerntunnel en route to Slovenia where it was 37C.

Really must try to get down to Ski Amade area again. This season.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @queen bodecia, looking at snowy pictures (however foggy) beats working on a Monday morning Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@andy, I have some holiday left to take. Oh, I seem to have said that before. Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@geepee, I have loads still to take. Just like the last time I mentioned that.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bambionskiis, I actually had a lot of my best days in Obertauern last season. It can be a litte cloudier than some resorts as it is higher and out on it's own but i love the place.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Timberwolf, queen b is now queen a(madé)...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia wrote:
@Timberwolf, queen b is now queen a(madé)...

Shouldn't that be Königin Amadé now? wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ooh...name change!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Fingers crossed it's a good sign. Staying at Haus Susanne with @flangex in January snowHead
ski holidays
@bambionskiis, maybe pack some high-viz clothing Twisted Evil
snow report
@queen bodecia, pleased to hear that you are now resident and look forward to catching up with you and @Kooky at the weekend.
snow conditions
@bobbev999, absolutely! snowHead
ski holidays
Scarpa wrote:
@bambionskiis, I actually had a lot of my best days in Obertauern last season. It can be a litte cloudier than some resorts as it is higher and out on it's own but i love the place.

Ah right. We've been doing Norway and Finland and both resorts have suffered badly from cloud when we were there, so used to it really. Makes sense what you are saying; I just hadn't thought it through about it being so high and therefore more prone to cloud. Glad you've enjoyed it though.
ski holidays
Snow down to about 1,000m today, it's bloody cold. I don't quite feel ready for this, it was baking hot sunshine not three weeks ago. There are a lot of news reports locally predicting a very cold winter. The ground is pretty well frozen already.
ski holidays
Looked good on the Planai this morning.
snow report
@queen bodecia, it will all be green again in a couple of days, fret not! The proper long lasting snows usually hit mid November.
ski holidays
After a bit of an Indian summer last week, there's some new snow this morning from about 1,400m upwards. Plus the cannons are being moved into position. It's coming folks! I have NEW SKI BOOTS in preparation...
snow report
I am getting very excited Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Indian summer returned again last week but today is cold and drizzly with snow down to about 1,400m. The snow line is forecast to drop to 1,000m tonight. Any lower would make my journey to work tomorrow mighty interesting, must be time to change the wheels...
snow conditions
Am going to Schladming in January for the Nightrace, keep watching the webcams and spotted a good covering the other week. Getting very excited!! So jealous of you living out there!
ski holidays
@mjrogers1, have you been to the Night Race before? Its such an incredible experience Madeye-Smiley
latest report
@Kooky, no this will be first time! We have booked yellow zone right next to finish line, not sure if this is good or bad. Have done Schladming for quite a few years now and absolutely love the place.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mjrogers1, well put it this way, you wont see a thing but there are live screens all over the place! Don't forget your flags and car horns to cheer Dave Ryding on!
latest report
Which zone would people recommend to book? We're going for the night race too, for the first time.
snow conditions
I was going to book the red zone, but we will have our 2 year old with us, so thought it would be better to stay lower down. The stadium seats look good but are quite far back from the action. Definitely going to have a huge Union Jack in amongst all the red!!
latest report
I presume the different zones have food outlets/bars etc in them? Wouldn't want to get thirsty while the race is on. Very Happy
snow conditions
I was in the blue zone a few years ago, about 10 gates from the finish. Booked it around now. Great view if you get in early enough to be near the front. Your feet get pretty cold standing on the ice for 4 hours though Wink
latest report
@briand6868, take a bit of cut off camping carry mat
snow report
@holidayloverxx, I found out quickly why people had chunks of " insulation" !! A great night though.
snow report
If anyone is thinking of going in the Red card east and hiking up the side of the hill to view I will say 2 things.
Firstly, its is fooooooking steep Shocked Shocked Shocked
Seriously the pics on the TV in no way do it justice.
Secondly take some spikes for your shoes for the way down. They carve the whole side of the hill into massive steps and after tens of thousands of people have climbed up and down them they are as slippery as hell. I saw countless people falling down them when I was there.( indeed I fell a few times myself, but that my have been due to the fact I consumer rather a large amount of alcohol)

Alternatively you can join us lot we always stand in the town square by the big screen, you don't get a great view but you are right by the bars and food Skullie
snow report

This was my place on the Red Section, there are no food and drink facilities up there, you have to hike down through the crowds, not too pleasant but you do have a couple of hours after the first run and before the second.
I smuggled in a load of Willies and wine and the crowd next to me traded some of that for their food!
It really is an incredible atmosphere Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Just on another note, we're wanting to give cross country a whirl while we're in Schladming. Any recommendations for venues/lessons? We're complete novices on the skinny skis.
snow report
@ajpaul, Main cross country area is at Ramsau.
snow report
ajpaul wrote:
Just on another note, we're wanting to give cross country a whirl while we're in Schladming. Any recommendations for venues/lessons? We're complete novices on the skinny skis.

Go up to Ramsay which is on the way to Dachstein glacier, this is a huge cross country area, the stadium area will sort you out with hire and lessons
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy