Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Motorcycle gloves

Poster: A snowHead
This may seem like a daft question. Has anyone ever used motorcycle gloves for skiing? I have a cracking pair from when I had a bike. They are very well insulated. Leather and Kevlar with a suede strip on each first finger to wipe your visor. Seems daft to ditch them (I no longer have a bike), if they would do for skiing.

I'm slowly buying gear for the MyashBash in January and a decent pair of gloves was on my list, then I remembered my biking gloves.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Bike gloves will be fine - just remember to wax them (shouldn't be a problem I get my glove balm from a local m/c shop).

Only problem is running hot - gloves designed for passive cold wet use might be too warm on a sunny day with active exertion.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, Thanks. I have some leather balm somewhere, I'll dig it out. I have another pair that I can use if I do find them too hot. I use the others in the Chillfactore and they are fine in there, but I doubt they are really suitable for "really" cold temperatures. Hence my thought of using my bike gloves Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have used bike gloves with no problem.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I use my snowboard gloves (leather pipe gloves) on my motorbike!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You could also use that full face helmet stashed away so where 🍺
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've been using mbike gloves for Jan holidays for the last 5 years or so, and go for something lighter at Easter.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've thought for a long time that leather bike gloves are remarkably similar to high end leather race gloves.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Given the positive feedback regarding the use of motorcycle gloves, it looks like I've just saved myself some money in not having to buy skiing gloves. Very Happy Happy days.

I've given the gloves a quick treatment with Autoglym Leather Balm. It says it's good for motorcycle leathers. However, I've found Renapur to be the best for treating leather, so I may invest in a jar as mine as long since run out.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi @Awdbugga are they the big gauntlet things that you could tuck the telegram into when you charged up the dales on the BSA Bantam from the Post Office?

I don't know about full face helmet, I think the sort of pudding basin thing with the leather ear covers would be better I think it was Everoak who made them.
That with a set of Stadium MkIX goggles would be just perfect.

I think I'll go and search the shed.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Awdbugga, I buy tiny pots of Grainger's glove balm for about a quid each. A pot does about 2 go arounds on a pair of gloves (and is one of the most zen activities you can do) - leave on the windowsill in the sun to absorb between coatings.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The helmet you want is the "Corker", real style.[/b]
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DrLawn, I have a helmet on order. I know I'm old, but I never owned a BSA Bantam Laughing Mine was a Honda Valkyrie 1500cc flat six. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin I was gutted when I had to sell it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DrLawn wrote:
Hi @Awdbugga are they the big gauntlet things that you could tuck the telegram into when you charged up the dales on the BSA Bantam from the Post Office?

I don't know about full face helmet, I think the sort of pudding basin thing with the leather ear covers would be better I think it was Everoak who made them.
That with a set of Stadium MkIX goggles would be just perfect.

I think I'll go and search the shed.

In my mind's eye I have a picture of a George Formby movie where he is riding in the TT races. Tried to find an image but no luck.
Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bantam, Sloper 600 (Panther) and A65 Lightning . . . happy days, and yes, in a 'corker' with RAF goggles Shocked
snow report
For the last 3 seasons we have used "liftie gloves".
These are yellow leather ones with sheepskin lining (you see most of the lifties and pisteurs with these).
We do around 40-50 days per season, and they cost around €18 from most French hardware / DIY stores.
I have a few pairs of motor bike gloves, which in the absence of anything else would be just fine.
The only issue I have with the winter bike gloves is that sometimes the lining comes out of the fingers, either deliberately to dry them, or unintentionally when taking them off, and it's a real mission to get the fingers back in, without them being twisted and uncomfortable.
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, What, like these?

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/?Locale=en_GB&ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/ssvenitexFBF15&ViewAction=ViewProductViaPortal

They look very warm and are a good price. Only problem is, being yellow, they may clash with my fluorescent orange and blue gear. Confused Very Happy
ski holidays
@WindOfChange, Put the lining glove on your hand first, then put your hand in the shell.
latest report
Awdbugga wrote:
@WindOfChange, What, like these?

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/?Locale=en_GB&ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/ssvenitexFBF15&ViewAction=ViewProductViaPortal

They look very warm and are a good price. Only problem is, being yellow, they may clash with my fluorescent orange and blue gear. Confused Very Happy

Yes, just like that.

Even if I chuck them away at the end of each season ( which I don't, as Mrs WoC will attest I am "careful with my money" - think of the coal-diamond quote from Ferris Buller's Day Off ).
They work about around 35pence per wear.

About 8 years ago I was doing a transfer, and my passenger was a bloke who said his daughter had just set up a ski glove company, he was a nice bloke, telling me about these gloves that were Kid-leather lined with possum fur. He said he could get me a discount on a pair. I never followed through on this, but if I did not have 3 teenage kids to put through college, and 5 Portes Du Soleil Season passes to buy this year etc... then I would be all over a pair if them :

http://www.alexski.com/epages/es114446.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es114446_es122113126086/Categories/%22Men%27s%20Ski%20Gloves%22
snow report
Chamcham wrote:
@WindOfChange, Put the lining glove on your hand first, then put your hand in the shell.

The lining is attached to the glove at the cuff, and is therefore inside-out. Alas that option is not available without your hand entering the glove and getting the lining all gnarled-up.
Or I could try turning my hand inside out too ... Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy