Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2017/18 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Not experienced any big queues on our trips so far.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tatmanstours wrote:
@toyah807, Lift queues in Saalbach are normally negligible, even in peak season (although I do try to avoid heading up the mountain at the same time as all the ski schools).
that's cos you are still in bed generally Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kb36, Ouch! (Maybe half-true) 😉
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurrah! Wife is finally recovering from the flu and managed to get out for a few runs this afternoon. Lunch on the mountain in the sunshine really cheered her up after a week stuck in the apartment. I started in Saalbach this morning instead of Hinterglemm and I found it noticeably busier, with 5mins plus queues at most lifts. Went back to the apartment late morning to get wife then headed up to Hinterglemm. No real queues at all on Zwolferkogel.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I’ve queued longer in the summer with my mountain bike than I have with skis in the winter!

@Valkyrie, glad your wife is feeling better.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
been a quiet few days on here just when im searching for every nugget, now in to final countdown less than 20 days to go before we set off , wonder if 68 will still be open by the time we arrive as I think it has been shut the last few years beginning of march.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
been a quiet few days on here just when im searching for every nugget, now in to final countdown less than 20 days to go before we set off , wonder if 68 will still be open by the time we arrive as I think it has been shut the last few years beginning of march.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ski for fun, The last week has been mixed, weather-wise, but cold with excellent piste conditions. Yesterday was a bluebird day, and we had a great skiing day over at Fieberbrunn. Last time I headed eastwards a few days ago, piste 68 was open, as it has been for most of the season. I would be surprised if it's not still open, as there is plenty of snow and temperatures have been relatively cold. A further dump (up to 40cm) is forecast over the next 48 hours, which will freshen things up nicely. However heavy rain is forecast for Thursday, which is a shame. Next week - who knows?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@tatmanstours, thanks for the update, piste 68 has always been shut on our previous later season visits and before my knees finally give in im hell bent on getting down it one day and especially now son and dil having taken your and mine advice have done it a couple of weeks ago so its now a must do
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ski for fun, Our current guests, who return every year, did piste 68 yesterday for the first time and are raving about it, and also about the delightful Hecherhuette restaurant, which is about two-thirds of the way down it. So much so that they have decided to return in the summer to sample the Hecherhuette’s swimming pool and weekly “all you can eat for 15 euros, including fillet steak” barbecue.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Now that our favourite pizzeria, Wallners, has closed its doors to the public, we have been on a mission to discover the best pizzas in Saalbach. So far the Alpzell restaurant is in first place, followed by Il Desco, and then Bobby’s. Also ran the Schattberg Stubn (inferior bases), and we haven’t tried the Trattoria (as we’ve heard reports of poor service and food) or Del Rossi (as we know from past experience that, though it excels in other dishes, its pizzas are not recommended).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tatmanstours, oh, I had 2 pizzas from Del Rossi in January and I thought they were yummy!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We had great pizzas and service at Trattoria.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@VolklAttivaS5, and @PeteMan, Well, that’s given me a dilemma.
I had an awful pizza at Del Rossi a few years ago and was subsequently advised, both by customers and staff, not to judge the restaurant on its pizzas, as it doesn’t have a proper pizza oven and doesn’t claim to do good ones.
We haven’t been in the Trattoria for many years, as a member of the family was spoken to rudely by the manager; also we rated Wallners far higher (and the wine was better and much cheaper in Wallners). Also, if you scroll back through this thread, you’ll see that someone else has slated the Trattoria for bad food and service.
Having said that, in the light of your positive feedback, it seems that we may have to set aside our preconceived notions and give them an opportunity to impress us.
Incidentally, when we visited the Alpzell, we did mention to the waitress (who I believe may well have been the owner’s/manager’s wife) that we were former regular customers of Wallners, owned apartments in Saalbach, and were on a quest to find the best pizza restaurant in Saalbach, so that we could recommend it to our guests. This didn’t seemingly earn us any special treatment, not even the round of schnapps that we always used to get at the end of the meal at Wallners.
The quest continues!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
just had a look at the webcam/weather looks as if love is in the air skiing wise at least this valentines day
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
@Mountain Lover,
As an illustration of the latter point, last Friday I took a relatively cautious and inexperienced skier over to Fieberbrunn, where there are usually gloriously well-groomed and uncrowded (easy) pistes to be found. Whilst Mrs tt and I skied the more challenging red runs to get over there and back, she happily travelled in the gondolas, and generally we tended to arrive at about the same time. By the end of day our cautious companion felt that she’d not only had a good day’s skiing, but that she’d also travelled some distance and had a bit of an adventure (without over-extending herself).

Just been reading this on another thread and would love to know the route the skier took to get to the easy slopes and which slope numbers in Fieberbrunn are the easier ones? Also when you got back to Saalbach, how did you take the skier back to the village? From top of the Tirol S at Reiterkogel did you go down blue32 to Reiterkogelbahn mountain station and then download or down blue 37, up Wetterkreuz lift and then top of blue 46 to bernkogelbahn?
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
I had an awful pizza at Del Rossi a few years ago and was subsequently advised, both by customers and staff, not to judge the restaurant on its pizzas, as it doesn’t have a proper pizza oven and doesn’t claim to do good ones.
We haven’t been in the Trattoria for many years, as a member of the family was spoken to rudely by the manager; also we rated Wallners far higher (and the wine was better and much cheaper in Wallners). Also, if you scroll back through this thread, you’ll see that someone else has slated the Trattoria for bad food and service...
The quest continues!

I suppose if for example, one in three had a bad dining experience for what ever reason, twice as many would review positively as opposed to warn off. Yet I wouldn't recommend anywhere that had such a low satisfaction rate.

I didn't mind the pizza at Del Rossi but like you I was told by the staff that steak was their thing and to avoid the pizza.
latest report
@Penry, It’s comparative of course. I was probably disappointed by Del Rossi’s pizza because I was used to those served up by Wallners, which were the best I’ve ever had. It’s the all-important bases that let so many down.
latest report
Yep, we need @tatmanstours to give us a lazy / crappy skier guide to skiing Fieberbrunn.
snow report
jimmybog wrote:
Just been reading this on another thread and would love to know the route the skier took to get to the easy slopes and which slope numbers in Fieberbrunn are the easier ones? Also when you got back to Saalbach, how did you take the skier back to the village? From top of the Tirol S at Reiterkogel did you go down blue32 to Reiterkogelbahn mountain station and then download or down blue 37, up Wetterkreuz lift and then top of blue 46 to bernkogelbahn?

37 then 46 is the direct route back, however 37 is a little steep (albeit short) for someone very nervous and at the end of a warm day can be a bit chopped up.

46 however is delightful and if tired you can always download on the Bernkogelbahn lift.
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
We haven’t been in the Trattoria for many years, as a member of the family was spoken to rudely by the manager; also we rated Wallners far higher (and the wine was better and much cheaper in Wallners). Also, if you scroll back through this thread, you’ll see that someone else has slated the Trattoria for bad food and service....

We are in Saalbach for the first time at the moment and just love the place.

We have had some fabulous meals but the one that stands out, and for the wrong reasons, is the Trattoria. The food was ok (I had pizza), nothing special IMHO, but the service was very poor. I was so surprised as everyone else in every restaurant and shop has been pleasant and helpful. Given the wide variety of choice in Saalbach, I wouldn’t recommend the Trattoria.
snow conditions
@Homey, It seems that the Trattoria is acquiring quite a reputation! The previous reports we’ve had of poor/rude service is one of the three reasons we haven’t been going there (the other two being that the wine is expensive, and the food is nothing special). No doubt it will thrive though, being in a prime location and looking quite appealing from the exterior.
By the way, the brilliant Irish band, Cuckoo, are on in Bobby’s tonight - watching them as I write this.
snow report
PeteMan wrote:

37 then 46 is the direct route back, however 37 is a little steep (albeit short) for someone very nervous and at the end of a warm day can be a bit chopped up.

46 however is delightful and if tired you can always download on the Bernkogelbahn lift.

Yeah 37 looked quite steep (for a blue) when I was there last year. Think the wife might freak out a bit if I took her down there. Would probably have to take her back via blue 32 which again looks quite steep (for a blue) but at least it is wide, which should help.

Also when blue 32 comes out to the main slope below the Hasenauer chair, it looked like you could ski right across to another slope which comes down from the Rosswald chair (blue 31), but which joins 32 a bit further down. That looked a little less intimidating but its hard to tell when viewing it from the Hasenauer chair. Ive only skied down to the hasenauer chair base via blue 34 and then turned off right before the Reiteralm. Trouble is the section before the turn off is a bit steeper and was really chopped up and bloody hard work.
latest report
My nervous companion seemed to cope quite well with 37, which may be slightly more challenging than going in the other direction towards Hinterglemm, but is relatively short. We were returning to Saalbach at around 4.00pm, and going down 37, followed by the Bernkogel was immensely preferable to heading off to Hinterglemm and having to get a bus or taxi.
Anyone who found 37 too daunting could take the chair lift down of course.
When I get a little more time I’ll write a more detailed guide to taking a nervous intermediate on excursion to Fieberbrunn, which I can see might be useful - probably more doable than going to Leogang actually.
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
My nervous companion seemed to cope quite well with 37, which may be slightly more challenging than going in the other direction towards Hinterglemm, but is relatively short. We were returning to Saalbach at around 4.00pm, and going down 37, followed by the Bernkogel was immensely preferable to heading off to Hinterglemm and having to get a bus or taxi.
When I get a little more time I’ll write a more detailed guide to taking a nervous intermediate on excursion to Fieberbrunn, which I can see might be useful - probably more doable than going to Leogang actually.

Are you allowed to take the chair down (below run 37) Richard? I thought the chairs were for going up only??

A guide for Fiberbrunn would be great. Studying the piste map, it looks fairly doable with lots of gondola upload/download options to avoid the red runs there. Never even considered it last year!
ski holidays
@jimmybog, I don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t go down on the chair. Speak to the lift attendant first.
Once you get down into Fieberbrunn the skiing gets easier, and some red runs are actually easier than some of the blues at Saalbach.
ski holidays
Hi everyone,

Been following this thread closely for the last few months and we finally set off for a week in Saalbach on Saturday morning Very Happy Very Happy

We're looking for one final restaurant recommendation for evening dinner. We are a group of 11 and currently have the following places booked:

Del Rossi
Speilberhaus
Eva Alm

We have a booking at La Trattoria however i'd like to replace this due to the feedback above. Do you have any further recommendations? I couldn't find details of Kohlmaisstub'n nor Baeckstattstall - are these bookable online/via phone?

We have Bobby's earmarked as an easy go-to for the other nights (it doesn't seem we need to book for Bobby's?).

We have lunches booked at:

Walleggalm
mama-thresl
AsitzBrau

Thank you Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@davidbevan10, Kohlmaisstub’n and Baeckstaettstall are the two that immediately sprang to mind, and it shouldn’t be a problem to pre-book on-line or by phone.
Other possibilities are Hotel Peter (friendly, traditional Austrian, magic show on Friday evenings), and Schattberg Stub’n (good menu/food, friendly staff).
I’m currently sitting in the Bergeralm, talking to someone who enjoyed the Pipamex - if you like Mexican food (although they do offer other dishes including pizzas).
We enjoyed the Alpzell a few nights ago - friendly service and seemed to have a good kitchen.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Richard - I just tried to book the Schattberg Stub’n via email but received a bounce back - I may pop in there on Saturday on arrival and book face to face.

I find something quite odd about eating Mexican food in the Austrian Alps! Although a change of cuisine could become welcome.

Hotel Peter looks to be a good option - is the food of a decent quality? It seems the place could be more about 'the experience'.
ski holidays
davidbevan10 wrote:
Thanks Richard - I just tried to book the Schattberg Stub’n via email but received a bounce back - I may pop in there on Saturday on arrival and book face to face.

I find something quite odd about eating Mexican food in the Austrian Alps! Although a change of cuisine could become welcome.

Hotel Peter looks to be a good option - is the food of a decent quality? It seems the place could be more about 'the experience'.

My recent visit in January ranked Hotel Peter well above La Trattoria for food. However the best part is Herr Peter himself going round greeting all the guests. It's worth going just for that.
snow conditions
For the record, whilst I had no issue with La Trattoria, I would place Il Desco above it for ambience and food.
snow report
@PeteMan, I’m not at all surprised. Although we’ve only been in Il Desco a couple of times, I quite like it and may visit it more often, now that Wallners has closed. As for La Trattoria, a picture seems to be emerging!
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:

That guide would be great as would one for getting to Leogang the easy way (see my post above).

I've been mulling the grading of runs over this afternoon. A minor problem with Saalbach is that many of the blues are reds are basically of similar gradient and difficulty. But there are definitely some runs that are at the easy end of blue (46, 47, 34, 29, 25, 63, 68, 88, 90, 90a, etc I think). Conversely, there are some blue runs that many intermediates will hate (2b, 22a, middle section of 81, etc). I believe you and I have similar views on which runs we consider to be in each category.

I'm not that weak to be totally put off but we are benefiting from having skied Saalbach for a few years and know the runs that we enjoy most. Obviously, it's not in the piste map designers interest to reflect the above in the piste map but if you could give a list of easier runs then people could perhaps annotate the piste map themselves. Or perhaps in your guide to Saalbach you could produce some suggested circuits or itineraries for weak and / or nervous skiers.

Of course, pizza is important too!
latest report
PeteMan wrote:

That guide would be great as would one for getting to Leogang the easy way (see my post above).

I've been mulling the grading of runs over this afternoon. A minor problem with Saalbach is that many of the blues are reds are basically of similar gradient and difficulty. But there are definitely some runs that are at the easy end of blue (46, 47, 34, 29, 25, 63, 68, 88, 90, 90a, etc I think). Conversely, there are some blue runs that many intermediates will hate (2b, 22a, middle section of 81, etc). I believe you and I have similar views on which runs we consider to be in each category.

I'm not that weak to be totally put off but we are benefiting from having skied Saalbach for a few years and know the runs that we enjoy most. Obviously, it's not in the piste map designers interest to reflect the above in the piste map but if you could give a list of easier runs then people could perhaps annotate the piste map themselves. Or perhaps in your guide to Saalbach you could produce some suggested circuits or itineraries for weak and / or nervous skiers.

Of course, pizza is important too!

If you look at Richards Saalbach guide then you will see that there is already advice on some appropriate runs. Also over the past few years if you look at the Saalbach threads there is lots of additional information on the easier runs. Last year Richard kindly gave me even more additional information on routes and runs specifically suited for my wife (who in the end did not even ski). And overall his information was excellant. A fully detailed guide of all the blue runs, whether they are easy or hard would be great, but I suspect it would be quite time consuming considering there are so many of them across the skicircus. Probably a better idea is for more than 1 person to contribute to a guide that one person can collate and then maybe Richard could add the finalised list to his Saalbach guide or have it as a separate guide.
snow report
@PeteMan, and @jimmybog, I did actually draft a couple of recommended itineraries, which I've been sending out to people with my guide. I intended to add a few more suggested itineraries but haven't yet got around to it (too busy skiing, having fun or being ill). I can see that a couple of itineraries, aimed at less confident intermediates, and focusing on Leogang and Fieberbrunn, might well be useful, so I'll endeavour to get it done. More competent/confident skiers are of course happy to tackle whatever they might encounter, and to plan their own itineraries without worrying too much about the difficulty of runs.

One of the points that should be made however is that the prevailing piste conditions can have a considerable effect on how a particular run might be viewed, according to the weather, the time of the season and the time of day - for example the notorious piste 2b is often delightful if tackled early in the day, whereas, when icy or slushy/chopped up, it might be greeted with horror by an early intermediate.
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
@PeteMan, and @jimmybog, I did actually draft a couple of recommended itineraries, which I've been sending out to people with my guide. I intended to add a few more suggested itineraries but haven't yet got around to it (too busy skiing, having fun or being ill). I can see that a couple of itineraries, aimed at less confident intermediates, and focusing on Leogang and Fieberbrunn, might well be useful, so I'll endeavour to get it done. More competent/confident skiers are of course happy to tackle whatever they might encounter, and to plan their own itineraries without worrying too much about the difficulty of runs.

One of the points that should be made however is that the prevailing piste conditions can have a considerable effect on how a particular run might be viewed, according to the weather, the time of the season and the time of day - for example the notorious piste 2b is often delightful if tackled early in the day, whereas, when icy or slushy/chopped up, it might be greeted with horror by an early intermediate.

@tatmanstours, that would be great. If you want me to peer review or test the runs next year I'd be more than happy to!

I totally agree that it's dependent on conditions and time of day. For example, an nice way for someone who's not strong skier to spend a morning would be...

1) Up Schatterberg Express
2) Ski 2a and 2b whist the skier and runs are fresh (stop at bottom of 2b Jauseralm for refreshments (Jager Tea / Coffee / Beer)
3) Up Schonleitenbahn Lift
4) Ski 62 and 63 (63 being great for weaker skiers)
5) Ski 68 (stop half way for Gulash Soup at Hecherhutte)
6) Bus back to Saalbach (on the hour then every 20 minutes)

Spend the rest of the day as you choose!
latest report
looks like tatman will have to ski every run in every condition including snow depth, type of snow,temperature, weather, morning or afternoon, time of day wether in sun shade or has been etc to regrade all the runs either blue light blue dark blue ultra marine or whatever shade of blue ( same for red) it is that particular day and . surely folks have to be a little more savvy and be aware that conditions at the time have as much if not more influence of the run last time I skied 2 it was mush in parts frozen in others mogulled to hell and strewn with folks in difficulty including me yet the morning before early it was bliss, ah well should keep him busy for the next few seasons and no time for the chicken man or happy hour at the bergeralm (just joshing ho ho)
ski holidays
Anyone been to the Backstatt since the change to the Soul House?
snow conditions
@radar, Funny you should ask that. We went there last night - 12 of us - and we were very favourably impressed. Good menu and great food - possibly the best ribs I’ve had, and that’s saying something, because I’ve always sworn by Bobby’s ribs on Wednesday nights.
Everyone was very happy with their meal, and the surroundings/ambience were just as pleasant as they have always been - nothing has changed in that respect, although the staff are all new, now that the place is under new management.
We will certainly be going there more often and recommending it to our guests.
It’s a little off the beaten track so tends to get overlooked by the hoi polloi, who pile into the village centre restaurants, making it a good bet when other places are full (an increasing problem at busy times, aggravated by some of the hotels switching to B&B, and of course by the closure of Wallners).
latest report
@tatmanstours, thank you, we eat there before on your recommendation and will do again on our next visit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy