Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach - Hinterglemm - Leogang - Fieberbrunn 2017/18 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@boabski, yeah there will be plenty in Saalbach but as I’ve never been to either I will go and have a nose in Zell.
It’s only 30 mins on the bus so not too bad. I wanted to see what it was like to ski back to that bus stop near Viehhofen-down ski route X4, it looks like the bus from there back to Saalbach is only 15 mins max?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
News from Saalbach:

http://www.salzburg24.at/ski-alpin-card-im-pinzgau-bietet-ab-2018-ganzjahreskarte-an/5110561
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Am I reading that right when I understand that the missing lower section of the Viehhofen - Schmittenhöhe lift is coming one year later than expected till now, i.e. 2019/20 rather than 2018/19? The article also speaks of 2020/21 for the "connection" - what connection? Is the link from Viehhofen to Saalbach-Leogang maybe what is being talked about there?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Am I reading that right when I understand that the missing lower section of the Viehhofen - Schmittenhöhe lift is coming one year later than expected till now, i.e. 2019/20 rather than 2018/19?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
2019 ist eine Seilbahn von Viehhofen aus geplant, so dass man zur Schmitten hinauf fahren könne. Der Geschäftsführer der Saalbacher Bergbahnen, Hannes Dschulnigg, hält 2020/2021 als einen “realistischen Rahmen” für die Anbindung.

Rough Translation =

A cable car from Viehhofen to Schmitten is planned for 2019. Saalbach's Bergbahn (lift company) managing director Hannes Dschulngig sees 2020/2021 as a more realistic timescale for the connection.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@espri, Patience is a virtue Smile (There are those who are dubious about the merits of the link - from Saalbach's point of view - in any event)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
where's the best place to buy the ski pass? Any discounts around?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Wilip,
https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/skitickets/skitickets-shlf
I'm having a little sniff around now.
@Tatman's Tours, is likely to have some ideas!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Wilip, The link posted above will tell you everything you need to know. Those of us who will be wanting a whole season pass (Ski Alpin card is the local one, which also covers Zell am See/Kaprun) will no doubt buy it before 6th December in order to secure the 15% discount. It's worth bearing in mind that it costs less than two 7 day lift passes! Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Two interesting links for Saalbach fans, though I have only been able to find the German versions:

A new issue of the Saalbach magazine Hoch hinaus is available, with i.a. some discussion of the replacement of the Kohlmais lift (and a recipe for local delicacies): https://www.saalbach.com/de/winter/skigebiet/hoch-hinaus-magazin

There is also a report which explains that a sawmill in Viehhofen is being removed to make it possible to shift the main Glemmtal road by 50 metres, so opening up various possibilities for the village (a building with apartments and businesses and a hotel - partying should stay centred in Saalbach): https://www.meinbezirk.at/pinzgau/wirtschaft/verlegung-der-ortsdurchfahrt-glemmtaler-strasse-weicht-der-seilbahn-d2279990.html

The aim is to finish this next year, allowing the link to Zell am See/Schmittenhöhe to be completed for season 2018/19. It is also hoped that the lift on the Saalbach-Leogang side can be completed for 2019/20.

I can also report, from the Fieberbrunn area, that while I was at a Musik am Berg at the Pulvermacher Scherm hut last Friday we were entertained not only by local music but also by the delivery of a new Prinoth Leitwolf 8890 S piste basher. This arrived on a low-loader...

It was impressive how quickly it was unloaded and mounted onto its tracks...

I can also report that on a hike up the Reckmoos Nord piste on Saturday I saw several snow cannons which I think are new there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Double post deleted.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 1-11-17 11:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@espri, Thanks for this (both times wink )
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Please could anyone tell me what the Power of Zehn is all about?

http://www.powerofzehn.at/

Sadly, my German isn't up to much.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Penry wrote:
Please could anyone tell me what the Power of Zehn is all about?

http://www.powerofzehn.at/

Sadly, my German isn't up to much.

It basically says under-19 day tickets are only €10 every Saturday at the resorts listed. Zehn is German for ten, so there's a crafty bit of wordplay going on.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@honved, Many thanks, I got the Zehn bit, it was the Saturday bit I wanted confirmation on. Essentially I think could save €1.50 by getting laddo a 6 day card and a €10 Saturday special so no real benefit that I can see?
ski holidays
“Power” is clearly a relative term Confused
snow conditions
https://www.facebook.com/SaalbachHinterglemm/videos/10150853204339982/

Hope this hyperlink works. It's to a 1960s ski film from Saalbach that appeared on the Saalbach Tourist Office Facebook this morning. If you know the village, it's amazing to see what wasn't built back then.
latest report
@honved, The golden age of drag lifts! Confused (And not a helmet to be seen anywhere!)
ski holidays
I am considering a 4 night break around 9th December. Is Saalbach worth considering for that short a trip and am I likely to be able to find accommodation for less than a week? -prob apartment to keep cost down and sell to my friends, but open to other suggestions!
No need to mention the weather/ snow in any replies (though all help gratefully received) ....I know the risk anywhere outside glacier locations at that time of year and will take that gamble with any decision......currently have Gressoney ski for free deal, Saalbach (there is a festival there so may be busy) and Tignes (with the obvious snow advantages) on the list
snow report
@toyah807, much as I love Saalbach, that early in the season I'd go for Tignes as there's a better chance of decent snow.

But Mr Tatman can give good advice on what conditions are likely to be in Saalbach..
ski holidays
@toyah807, The Bergfestival is from 10th - 14th so will finish on the day after your arrival. No reason why it should impinge unduly on you; you might even enjoy it for one night if you're into that sort of thing. As for weather/snow, you say that there's no need to mention it, which is just as well as I don't have a crystal ball. All I would say is that last year, which was reportedly the worst in living memory for early season snow, the resort opened punctually on 2nd December and the piste skiing when we arrived on 10th Dec was genuinely of good quality, as well as extensive (at least 150km open). We had guests during the last week of November (before the resort had officially opened), who simply got in their car most days and drove 30 mins to the Kitzsteinhorn glacier at Kaprun and enjoyed some great skiing. Some days they didn't have to do that as conditions were good enough for Saalbach to open for skiing on the November weekends that they were there.
We can accommodate you until 14th - if interested send me a PM.
ski holidays
is this the first snow expected? http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Saalbach/6day/mid
snow report
Wilip: It already snowed in Saalbach yesterday...
ski holidays
Quote:

It already snowed in Saalbach yesterday...

By a striking coincidence, Saalbach was deep in snow this day three years ago (as Facebook has reminded me from a post put up by the Hinterhagalm on that day). Doesn't mean much at this stage, but it's nice to see it on the webcams all the same.
ski holidays
Hiya, i was looking at a webcam from the Kohlmais valley station, looks like construction work going on there, anyone know what they're doing?
Cheers!
snow conditions
@shiva_71, Things were going on when I was there during the summer. There's a hell of a lot of work to be done on the reconstruction work for the new Kohlmaisgipfelbahn, and, although the actual demolition and rebuilding is scheduled for next summer, I imagine that they're doing whatever can be done in advance. As I understand it, the gondola will be running as normal this ski season. However some of the ancillary infrastructure around it can be worked on, if it won't affect its running. The new mid-station has already been built. Don't know about the top station - maybe they will have to wait for the end of the season before they can start work on that. I did wonder if the resort closing date of 8th April, which is at least a week earlier than I would have expected, has been chosen to enable work to start as early as possible. However, as they always close that side of the valley for the last week, maybe that doesn't make any sense.
snow report
Thanks for the info TT. I now recall seeing the work at the middle station when i was there on my mtb over the summer. It was a bit of an odd lift, the way it arrived/left in bunches so its good that its being updated!
snow conditions
@shiva_71, It will be a ten-seater gondola, like the Schoenleitenbahn.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Weather is looking good!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 3-11-17 11:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Bit of long term Kohlmais news...

Quote:
Next summer will come for sure! Smile The operating periods of the gondolas will be extended in spring and autumn 2018. Due to the reconstruction of the Kohlmais gondola, the Schönleiten gondola will be operating.

I wonder if they'll put a new mountain bike run down to the Schönleiten or whether everyone will have to ride along the rooty hell that is the Wurzel Trail?
snow report
Weather is looking good!

snow conditions
I'm starting to get a little giddy now, less than 2 months to go. As usual I have a few questions...

Is Hansi's best price still the go to place for ski hire? Currently offering 25% off for on-line bookings and, if i read it correctly, a free pair of socks.

Ski school recommendations? We're based in the centre of Saalbach. Anything to look out for?

Security - There have been a few threads recently around anti-theft devices for hire skis. It's not something I've come across before, is it something everyone does?
snow report
@Penry, I do recommend you to go to Hansi's Best-Price rental shop and say that I sent you. I don't know what discount it will be this season for our friends and guests, but it won't be any less than the on-line one. As he's "his own boss", he can decide for himself what discount to offer. Our friends and guests are always very happy with his service and prices, and he makes a genuine effort to be obliging and ensure customer satisfaction. He can also arrange packages, to include equipment and ski-school lessons (with Furstauer Ski School, the biggest and probably the best in Saalbach, at least for group lessons).

If you have some bog-standard hire skis and want to spare yourself the experience of emerging from a restaurant or apres-ski bar and finding that some idiot has wandered off with your skis and/or poles, a retractable cable lock is one answer. I got mine for a few euros from Hagleitners shop on Schulstrasse, but obviously you can get them anywhere - some with codes and some with keys. If you have a pair of very desirable, new 'V.I.P.' skis, that's obviously a different story...but trackers are all the rage these days, aren't they?
snow report
@tatmanstours, That's great, many thanks again. We'll be arriving late on Saturday (get into Salzburg at 3:45), is it worth getting in contact beforehand or just rock up?
snow report
@Penry, It might be worth dropping Hansi an email or phoning him, say the day before, to let him know your ETA (presumably around 5.30pm if your flight's on time and you get through baggage reclaim and passport check without too much delay). However by the time you've checked in and dumped your bags and got down to his shop, it might be nearer 6.00pm, and to be honest it's leaving it a bit late in the day to get fixed up with your equipment. He does often stay open till that time; however he may advise you to "rock up" first thing in the morning.

By the sound of it you're going for the week beginning 6th January (coincidentally the only week when still have availability before the middle of March), which is of course significantly less busy than the previous week and shouldn't be a problem from the point of view of waiting behind a queue of people - but try to get down there before the Ski Miquel crowd rock up en masse.
ski holidays
Thanks @tatmanstours, unfortunately we'll be there for the significantly busier week before, i.e. arriving 30th Dec. I'll get in touch with him before we fly out.
snow report
The Tirol Snow Card: it says it is valid in Fieberbrunn but not in Saalbach, Hinterglemm and Leogang.
How do you sort it so you can ski over? Is there an upgrade cost for the day or something?
snow conditions
There is no (cheap) solution. The day upgrade for the ski circus that was available last season isn't available now. So you would have to buy a day ticket or stick with the Salzburg Super Ski/Kitzbüheler AllStar cards rather than the Tirol Snow Card.
latest report
@espri, ok thanks
snow conditions
I've just received an invoice from crystal.....................which means its only 10 weeks till Saalbach Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Can't wait, that's all.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy