Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

HESTRA GLOVES -hands still cold

Poster: A snowHead
I purchased the 3 fingered Hestra Army gloves a few seasons back, all good.

However. skied 4 weeks this season and hands cold in each resort. I'm going to purchase some quality inners

Suggestions and websites please ! Cost isnt an issue for quality
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tea bags.

They work.

(I mean those little oxidising packs - work best inside mittens.)

Got me through last January with no circulation in my left arm after an arterial occlusion.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hestra do a range of inners, have a look at their website.
However, if the rest of you's not warm enough your hands may still get cold as part of your body's physiological reaction to extremely low temperatures; peripheral shut down kicks in, a type of mild Reynaud's phenomenon.
I've got similar Hestras but I've had similar problems on long slow chairlifts when it's been extremely cold. I know I tend not to layer up enough cause I hate overheating when I'm skiing hard.
So... The answer to your cold hands may lie in a thick hat or similar you can put on before you start to cool down. Works for me...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Tea bags.

They work.

This. I have a friend with Reynaud's - top quality Millet mitts, but he still needs teabags if it's at all chilly. Put them in before you go out; they last all day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Hestra liner gloves (not the removable liners) are very poor. I won't be buying another pair.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Tea bags.

They work.

Interestingly, at 3200m they don't work. Not enough oxygen for the chemical reaction, presumably.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Despite their reputation I have been very unimpressed with Hestra gloves - I've never yet found a pair that properly fit me and those I bought the kids (at some considerable expense and because of their reputation) didn't do a good job of keeping their hands warm at all and wore out very quickly. We all now use other brands and get on just fine.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Not enough oxygen for the chemical reaction, presumably.

that's interesting - never thought of that. They work OK round here though, in a domaine that barely goes above 2000m. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When I tried on some Hestra gloves once I found them far too stiff and unyielding for my poor arthriticky hands. On the other hand, the Gordini Goretex mitts I bought in T K Maxx for about £20 are terrific.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well mine are toasty.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Put on a gilet. It doesn't bulk up your sleeves and make your jacket tight, but it can make a surprising difference to your extremities. Even if you don't feel cold round your body, it could be the reason for your cold hands.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rooster hot hands sailing gloves are excellent. I have used them on their own and as a liner in mitts, bit bulky if your gloves are tight fitting though.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard, I'm not convinced by that bit of science. The proportion of o2 is the same but there is less air at altitude. I would be surprised it that was a significant factor in the chemical reaction. The volume of air inside the glove might be a limiting factor. I used to be good at chemistry, but that was a long time ago. I do know not to be impressed by names though!

snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1969jma, i ski the same gloves and have never had problems - suggest you try the Haglofs lightweight gloves, slightly thicker than inner gloves which IME tend to last about a week, too thin to be of any use. Also agree re the body warmer comment above, keeping the core warm is key, plus a big carb fest breakfast, porridge or meusli with plenty of sugary fruit and honey. Got to stoke up the boiler otherwise it steals heat from the extremities, ie fingers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The other option is to put a pair of goretex mountaineering gauntlets over your usual gloves. They are not that clumsy and make a hell of a difference.
ski holidays
Try adding a pair of thin silk inners
snow report
sport pursuit where selling the zanier heat gtx gloves recently. I suffer from cold hands like you and bought a pair of the zanier last year. Definitely kept my hands warm.
snow report
mine are toasty and nice and soft... maybe it's poor circulation that makes cold hands and not Hestra gloves?
ski holidays
shoogly, I don't have poor circulation, I do have great mid layers and my core is plenty warm and yet I still found the Hestra gloves (the ones with Hestra's own fibrefill insulation) were not warm enough. I'm talking about the army leather GTX model. However, their alpine gloves with Primaloft insulation are much warmer.

I don't think the problem is with Hestra gloves per se, it's certain models with the fibrefill insulation.
ski holidays
Get some of those gloves you see every pisteur or liftie wearing, yellow with a furry liner - picked a pair up for 11 euro in a garage and they are not warm but hot!
snow report
Lizzard,
Quote:

Interestingly, at 3200m they don't work. Not enough oxygen for the chemical reaction, presumably.

Thats interesting I will try and find out, I found that if you take the tea bags out of the packaging and don't put them in your gloves then they do not heat up very well!
snow report
livetoski, that could be because water is a catalyst to the exothermic reaction of the iron filings and the oxygen. There needs to be water vapour for the reaction to happen efficiently. The atmosphere in your glove is easily damper than the outside air on a snowy mountain esp. on a very cold day when the water vapour in the air is locked into ice crystals. For that matter it could help to explain Lizzard's, finding as it is easily much colder at that altitude. In VT in April I've seen it the wrong side of freezing and also when we have been skiing 'inside clouds' then there is lots of water vapour about and I imagine the reaction happens much more efficiently. In fact if you were to hold the 'Tea bag' inside your hands, cupped around your mouth and breathe out on them they could well work quicker due to the water vapour in your breath.
ski holidays
1969jma, one issue you might want to look at before switching is any restriction in circulation at the wrists. I think one reason for the range of reactions to certain glove types may have nothing to do with them at all but rather layers of elastication/padding that accumulate at the wrist and sometimes cuts down on circulation. This obviously will vary from person to person depending on their size/dimensions and what they are wearing and will obviously become more accute as altitude increases. Before you do anything else, try skiing the Hestras 'open' (i.e. not cinching them closed) with no elastication on your wrists or arms and as little material covering the wrist as you feel you can get away with and see what it feels like after an hour or so. I know one person where this adjustment proved a revelation after I suggested it. Remember, the wrist is an area of the body where blood vessels are very close to the surface and in cold environments it does not take much to restrict blood flow at that point.

Also whilst I agree with the dietry advice above you need to leave about a two hour gap between stuffing your gob and skiing otherwise the reverse will prove true.

Quote:

Get some of those gloves you see every pisteur or liftie wearing, yellow with a furry liner - picked a pair up for 11 euro in a garage and they are not warm but hot!

If you decide to go this route, SnowShepherd is yer man - look at his site
ski holidays
RattytheSnowRat wrote:
one issue you might want to look at before switching is any restriction in circulation at the wrists... I know one person where this adjustment proved a revelation after I suggested it.

For me, the tingling and then loss of feeling resulting from restricted blood flow feels different from the burning and numbness caused by cold. I am quite surprised you encountered someone who couldn't tell the difference.
snow conditions
The teabag thing is interesting

We use them here at very simialr altitudes each week for the kids whenever the temp is below about -13 ish

The other week it was cold, proab around minus 18/20. My sons stopped working completely but yet worked again at lunchtime stuck in his gloves still

His hands got very cold and were painful and so i wondered whther it was a minimum tmeperature thing. He had liner gloves on and so the tea bags were between his liners and his mitts. My daugter's hands stayed much warmer and her tea bag worked throughout.

Maybe it was justa duff tea bag
ski holidays
What are these tea bag things, anyone able to post a link?
snow conditions
Markymark29, http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-hot-pad-disposable-hand-warmers-p184340
ski holidays
geepee, Cheers, guess where i'm going tomorrow lunch time...........and what do you do with them, just put them at the back of the glove, or in the palm of your hand?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Markymark29, Just put them where ever it is most comfy - some gloves even have a pocket on their back that you can slip them into. If you are standing around for any length of time don't forget they can also go in your pockets too.
ski holidays
I've always had poor circulation in my hands. Gloves are ok whilst skiing but on chair lifts freezing at -24. Although the gloves have been fine until this season, the rest of body is toastie.

I've also used the t bags which are ok

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?tag=amz07b-21&ie=UTF8&keywords=handwarmer&index=aps&hvadid=8294641569&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7952188261208014852&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&ref=pd_sl_8lrv2ex1eo_b

Silk Inners or Merino Inners seem to be an answer, undecided which.
ski holidays
1969jma,

Poor circulation will likely lead to cold fingers irrespective of what you have over them unless it's several layers which allow warm air to circulate, though this will likely result in very bulky gloves/ mittens. My circulation isnt great but I've had no problems with hestra heli ski gauntlets without the need for extra liners - including a rather nippy time in Norway at -30 and below around the backcountry. I swear by them and brought a second pair for vain reasons - my first pair are still going strong 6+ years later after much abuse skiing, touring, and on expeditions. Plenty of tlc in the form of balm and not over zealous drying on radiators has kept them just as good as the day I brought them. As others have pointed out keeping your wrists and arms warm is equally important if you want toasty hands - heat loss there just makes it worse for your hands. Another solution could be to try wrist warmers - in tandem with merino liners, low bulk and provides another layer under the jacket cuff in addition to the gauntlet of the hestra gloves. If you don't have gauntlet gloves I'd recommend trying this, it seems to work for quite a few blokes I've worked and toured with.
snow conditions
Mrs M here (prone to feeling the cold). We've just come back from a week in Tignes and temps down to -25 and then some. I have Hestra Ski Cross gloves, and wore a (cheap) pair of silk liners under them on colder days. On warmer days (-10 ish) I didn't need the liners, and only on one day when we went over to Le Fornet and it was F cold did I stick a pair of mitts over the gloves. So I'd suggest trying some liners and see how you go. And another base layer.
latest report
Markymark29, my wife moved them around various parts of her body whilst skiing last weekend!!
ski holidays
what Monium says... I use Merino liners after lunch when they get cold and sweaty and it really helps.. I have kinda gone off Hestra gloves and am liking my Mountain Equipment ones better for cold weather
snow report
1969jma,
Quote:

Silk Inners or Merino Inners seem to be an answer, undecided which.

Silk for me, because my gloves are too tight with merino ones, and that in itself leads to cold hands.
snow conditions
I've managed to destroy my Hestra merino liners after 1 and a half weeks. I've Reverted back to a cheap silk pair I also brought which have done the trick and seem much more durable.
ski holidays
+1 for thin inner liners, climbing section of the stores best place to get em. I've found Hestra gloves vastly overrated (mainly on here rolling eyes ). Warmest gloves I have had were Burton AK Yeti "snowboard" gloves - too warm actually for all but the coldest days
latest report
I've just ordered a pair of Marmot 3-in-1 Cirque gloves for my wife from Sportpursuit for a bargainlicous price of £37.50

Hopefully will do the trick for her cold hands!

3-in-1 Mitten System
GORE-TEX® Waterproof/Breathable Mitt Insert with Active Shell Technology - GORE-TEX® Waterproof/Breathable Mitt Insert
Thermal R Insulation
DriClime® Bi-Component Wicking Lining - For Breathability and Excellent Moisture Transfer
Removable High Loft Fleece Glove
Falcon Grip - Articulated for Dexterity and Ease of Grip
Gauntlet Quickdraw - Easy to Use One-Handed Drawcords
Internal Heater Pocket
Nose wipe - Soft fabric to wipe your runny nose
Safety Leash - Keeps Glove Attached to Wrist When Removed from Hand

snow conditions
Quote:

I purchased the 3 fingered Hestra Army gloves a few seasons back, all good.

However. skied 4 weeks this season and hands cold in each resort. I'm going to purchase some quality inners

Suggestions and websites please ! Cost isnt an issue for quality

get some 1 fingered ones.. Mitts Happy
ski holidays
These look pretty damn good... ME stuff tends to be top quality.

http://www.peglers.co.uk/products/ME-Pinnacle-Mitts.html
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy