Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercise. Fitness and a bit less of the fatness

Poster: A snowHead
@pam w,
We have faith in ya, ain't no mountain high enough and you will survive.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh yes, I shall certainly survive - but nothing to boast about!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To be fair to Weathercam, him getting up these steep hills at the rate he does without exploading is a milestone for him as a 7kg drop is for Hellsbells.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Frosty the Snowman,

Maybe this helps ....

http://youtube.com/v/yeLQwNgU_Qo
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
...... but nothing to boast about!....

@pam w, no you've just posted the fact that you're doing it in circa three or four different threads, and those are just the ones I've happened to read rolling eyes

And re cycling up hills, that post in this thread was about the guy I did it with and his immense effort and mindset doing stuff like that, in much the same way as Scarpa's brother, if you want it that much you can do it - bit like a sportswear Co's slogan.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
if I can't get out on the MTB or go mountain walking because of weather or other commitments I'm on the cross trainer in the cellar - this really motivates me to do something outside in the summer.
I find this incredibly hard to do. My solution over the last few months has been to go to 'spinning' classes at least twice a week. Along with consciously cutting out everything that contains sugar from my diet, so, obviously, chocolate and sweets, but more importantly stuff like joghurt and processed fruit juice. Along with skiing and walking the dog (well biking the dog actually) I've come down from 93 to 84 Kg since September. Have now flattened off at 84, probably because I drink too much beer again... Still, not so bad. Has improved the whole experience on the MTB for me as an added bonus.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 17-05-18 12:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Oh yes, I shall certainly survive - but nothing to boast about!
It's all relative snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steilhang wrote:
Quote:
if I can't get out on the MTB or go mountain walking because of weather or other commitments I'm on the cross trainer in the cellar - this really motivates me to do something outside in the summer.
I find this incredibly hard to do. My solution over the last few months has been to go to 'spinning' classes at least twice a week. Along with conciously cutting out everything that contains sugar from my diet, so, obviously, chocolate and sweets, but more importantly stuff like joghurt and processed fruit juice. Along with skiing and walking the dog (well biking the dog actually) I've come down from 93 to 84 Kg since September. Have now flattened off at 84, probably because I drink too much beer again... Still, not so bad. Has improved the whole experience on the MTB for me as an added bonus.

Good for you. I'm working shifts at the moment (until approx. the end of the year when some more trading systems are fully automated). It's hard to find a class I can attend on a regular basis as they are all geared around normal office working hours. I hate gyms and signing up for a gym membership just to go spinning every other week doesn't make much sense. I have TV, Amazon prime, Netflix and music in the cellar so it's not too bad. Yes space is a bit tight as naturally that's where we keep the bodies here in Austria. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@DB, cheers. I do a lot of similar stuff that my physio gave me to get ski fit. Knacks the other knackered bits snowHead Getting old sucks
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

you've just posted the fact that you're doing it in circa three or four different threads

I'm proud of the fact that I'm doing it - it's a challenge for me as I've never been a "cyclist" - and have much appreciated the helpful encouragement and support I've had. In the same way, Hells Bells is proud of her progress in losing weight, and FtS pleased to be feeling so much fitter. But that's quite different from boasting about my achievement, which will be miniscule. And even I, prolix as I can be, would struggle to compete with the column inches we've had from you about the heights you have scaled, skinned or spun.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Anyway, didn't you say you were out of this thread?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@DB, I can see that the bodies would get in the way. It's a problem.
We have a very nice gym here in Gauting, with nice views onto the surrounding fields and river, so I also use it for sauna and just generally doing some exercises, and as an escape from the teenagers at home. Works for me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steilhang wrote:
@DB, I can see that the bodies would get in the way. It's a problem.
We have a very nice gym here in Gauting, with nice views onto the surrounding fields and river, so I also use it for sauna and just generally doing some exercises, and as an escape from the teenagers at home. Works for me.

Yeah I don't know how many more dutch internet trolls I can fit in here. Sounds a great setup you've got, nice part of the world there with great ski connections. We don't have any gyms like that out here in the village, getting in and out of Vienna is 40+ mins each way so until next year it's "Keller arbeit".
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Feeling a bit pleased just now , having put on a fair bit of weight with the knee problem that I have had and being a little overweight before that I have been trying to lose weight since first skiing holiday of the year which was essentially a non skiing holiday due to the knee, though it doesn't sound as bad as many in the knee thread.
On three successive weigh in's this week I am down to an official healthy BMI having lost around 14kg. Aim is to lose another 8-10kg which would stick me in the middle of the healthy range. Mrs T Bar is getting concerned that it would make me look a bit scrawny but I want a bit of room for error. and less pressure on the knees for skiing.
Planning to get an ebike for commuting to work and hoping that may help.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@T Bar, 14kg loss is immense, well done! how far is the commute, as a non ebike may do you and the knee more good!
snow report
@T Bar, excellent news Happy
snow conditions
@kitenski,
The commute is around 11-12 miles each way depending on precise route. I used to do it on a non e bike the problem is that there is around 200m of climbing each way and on the way home most of it is in a single relatively steep climb and physio has told me too avoid hills when cycling.
ski holidays
@kitenski, @Hells Bells,
Thanks very much as well.
ski holidays
Another kilo ticked off this week.
latest report
Result!!!!!!!

and T Bar, wow, great effort

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 21-05-18 11:38; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
pam w wrote:
...... but nothing to boast about!....

@pam w, no you've just posted the fact that you're doing it in circa three or four different threads, and those are just the ones I've happened to read rolling eyes

LOL, pot, kettle, black; never knowingly under posted??
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
Another kilo ticked off this week.

Nice work!
snow conditions
@T Bar, awesome! Add some press ups, chin ups and squats to keep Mrs T-Bar happy 😉
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, @BobinCH,
Many thanks , trying to do a bit of resistance work , but I have to confess I have never been exactly a powerhouse.

@Hells Bells,
Brilliant great stuff. snowHead snowHead
latest report
HIIT

I jog regularly, and have decided recently to incorporate some High Intensity Interval Training within the jog. As I am reasonably old at 49, I decided to do a check on my heart rate whilst I was doing what I have been doing.

My normal run took about 1 hour 6 minutes from when I reset the heart monitor to until I took the strap off. I averaged 142 hbpm, with a HI score of 174. Total calories burned (my monitor is nonsence) = 794 calories!

So I run half of the distance at a slowish easy pace for me. Then on the return, I do 4 or 5 20/30 second all out sprints and then slow to a gentle pace. Before each sprint my heart rate will be about 130-140 and at the end it will be 160-170.

This made me check previous statistics on my runs. Interestingly about 4-5 years ago, 174 was the highest reading on one of my runs (when I was doing time trials over a certain distance). 135-140 is my normal average heart rate over a shorter jogging time depending on how fast I run.

For me these recent figures look consistent with my historical statistics.

I have done a maximum heart rate test before in which I got over 200. I do not do that anymore, and believe it is bad idea for oldies like me. What is interesting though is that the formula for maximum heart rate for someone my age is 170-174 which is bang on my highest reading. (which occurs within some sprints)

What heart rate zone am I working in? (I am thinking twilight zone!)
latest report
I hope it went well @pam w.

I lost 20lb (9kg) in 7 weeks this summer and have maintained the loss, all by doing the 5:2 diet. I also added in some exercise each morning and have got bigger (legs, arms, shoulders) so the weight loss is actually more than the scales say. This has been easy to do.

I now fast one day a week and eat/drink normally (well, maybe my drinking isn't normal) for the rest of the week and I have maintained my new weight.

The cycling benefits of being lighter have been useful and my 50 mile rides are now comfortably under 3 hours. I'm doing 2x 25 miles and 2x 50 miles, every week but that's because my GF is training for a 400 mile ride in October.

Losing weight needn't mean months of rabbit food.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy