Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercise. Fitness and a bit less of the fatness

Poster: A snowHead
I'm doing an 8 week "Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction" course at the moment (half way through). I signed up to become more skilled in dealing with a major emotional problem I'm grappling with at the moment but mindfulness is relevant in helping people know themselves better and see how they react to stress (which might be with food, or drink, or ruminating about how difficult somebody has made your life!). It's an interesting process with a good deal of neuroscience evidence of its effectiveness - very far from being "mumbo jumbo". I can highly recommend it - though be prepared for some hard work. There are courses which deal specifically with "mindful eating". Sounds a bit daft, but it's not..... worth trying.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@DB, If you considered my comment about people being rude and patronising to be about you, then, if the cap fits wear it !! I didn't name anyone, or even imply that it was you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chaletgirl,
I can see what you are saying. Despite what some may think my input here was aimed to help. Yes I‘m aware I come across harsh at times but I‘m not going to wallow with someone else in their own self pity because nothing good comes out of self pity.
Many pages back Hellsbells and I had a bit of a spat over a Crosstrainer not matching the curtains - I thought it was over but the many snipe posts came.
Like any addiction at the end of the day the harsh fact is it‘s you that makes the change. Yes you have to eat but not that food or so much of that food. 63% of the people in a country being overweight is sureal when others around the world are starving. Have we really become that spoilt? To them we must be living in heaven yet so many have problems with their diet which will probably only come back to bite them in the rear at a later date with health problems as it did my brother.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hells Bells wrote:
@DB, If you considered my comment about people being rude and patronising to be about you, then, if the cap fits wear it !! I didn't name anyone, or even imply that it was you.

I asked you direct and you didn‘t deny it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hells Bells, then I think you're comment (it seemed) was directed at anyone who had the temerity to suggest that you might be dragging your heels when it comes to loosing weight whilst on here making excuses Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

This was yesterday, as you can see he's a big boy and he had the amazing capacity to take on a challenge, nigh on 100kgs (he has lost a lot of weight) - he's actually lean and muscular just a very big frame, compared to the beanpole in the background (a well known Serre Che Brit ski instructor).

His mindset is on another planet, at the extreme end, he's an athlete (rugby) and simply does not accept that he should not be dragging his frame up mountains on bikes. He did the Etap last year and this year will be doing the Marmot, one of the toughest cycle sportives there is.

Last year on the Etap whilst I was enduring pain and suffering due to cramps he actually beat me, even though based on previous rides I should have beaten him by an hour or more, so yes a great deal is in the mind!

In a monthly cycle magazine I buy every month there is a feature on how someone has pulled off an amazing weight loss achievement and how they have continued to exercise, again mindset of getting on with it.

We were 6hrs in the saddle, 137kms and over 2,300m of climbing and the interesting stat only 3,514 calories used - which I certainly tried to put back in over the course of the evening.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@DB, I didn't even see your comment, or I would have replied.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
I'm doing an 8 week "Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction" course at the moment (half way through). I signed up to become more skilled in dealing with a major emotional problem I'm grappling with at the moment but mindfulness is relevant in helping people know themselves better and see how they react to stress (which might be with food, or drink, or ruminating about how difficult somebody has made your life!). It's an interesting process with a good deal of neuroscience evidence of its effectiveness - very far from being "mumbo jumbo". I can highly recommend it - though be prepared for some hard work. There are courses which deal specifically with "mindful eating". Sounds a bit daft, but it's not..... worth trying.

Totally agree with this. If for whatever unfortunate reason you don't have the willpower/strength of mind then invest your time in something like the above rather than low fat foods.

I'll use other people's achievements and problems which dwarf my own to motivate me mentally. My own Mum suffered a serious car accident when she was young (the other driver was at fault). She suffered life changing back injuries, she also worked and brought up 4 children. I can only remember her once putting on lots of weight but she turned it around with healthy eating, yoga etc and to this day has kept it that way into her 70's.
Read recently about a 14 year old girl in India who was gang raped and became subsequently pregant. She admitted herself into hospital with problems but she and the child died, no one came to collect the bodies for burial ...... and my greatest problem is an addiction to peanut M&M's rolling eyes

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 16-05-18 9:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, good for you. My day yesterday started at 7am. I made breakfast, showered and went to work from 8.30 until 5pm. Hubby does morning walks as he doesn't start until 9am. I climbed the flight of stairs between the room I work in and reception 10 times during the course of the day, then went home at 5pm and took the dogs out until 6pm. I was unable to stay out longer as dog no 2 decided he was too hot and lay down on the field and wouldn't go any further. I then went to do the weekly shop, so another 30 minutes walking round a hugE TESCO, came home unpacked shop, fed 4 animals, and made dinner. I finally sat down on the sofa just after 8.30pm and I was in bed by 9.15.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
@Weathercam, so in effect I maintained my weight loss of 7kg which is what I was implying in the first place. You weren't the one I considered to be rude and patronising.

Was that me?

PS well done on dropping the 7 kg.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weathercam wrote:
@Hells Bells, then I think you're comment (it seemed) was directed at anyone who had the temerity to suggest that you might be dragging your heels when it comes to loosing weight whilst on here making excuses Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

My first reaction was that'll be that smug git Weathercam until Hellsbells said it wasn't and I realised it was me Laughing wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hells Bells, I just don't accept this excuse of work / dogs get in the way that you come up with.

Like I said a few pages back when you made your snipe that I'm able to do all this because I live in the mountains etc and I said I was at my fittest when I was holding down an immense stressful job in the newspaper industry and I found the time to train.

And what about the weekends, what's your excuse then?

Pretty well accepted training plans be it running or cycling and even not so called sporting activities (as most do not have the luxury of time mid week) is shorter distances mid week and then put the hours in at the weekend.

So when I cycled up to upper Nevache at the weekend I saw loads of people, majority oldies out rambling, in fact the only rotund people I saw were on electric mountain bikes, but that's another topic of discussion Laughing

I wouldn't be surprised if a moderator locks this thread shortly Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, who said I don't go for longer walks with the dogs on weekends? I didn't.
Although it does have to be combined with visiting elderly parents who don't live on the doorstep. @DB, @Weathercam can be a smug git, but at the beginning of the thread he was actually quite helpful.

What am I supposed to be 'training' for anyway? I'm not planning on doing the Etape or the London Marathon. I wanted to gradually improve my fitness for skiing last season. My comments on my subsequent weight loss, not being so tired, and lasting longer on the slopes each day would seem to suggest I did just that. But hey, you think what you like.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok, so you think you can do better?

How would you structure MY day to include more exercise/training or whatever you like to call it?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hells Bells, it might be better to consider a week rather than a day - if you can shift your weekly activities around to create some space on one or two weekdays to do an activity that you enjoy that might work better for you.

Sounds like you are doing well though and you are in a much improved position than this time last year (7kg down). What you are doing must be working for you. Just keep doing that - as you say, you're not training for anything.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hells Bells, I wouldn't even attempt to advise as you always think you know better, and they'll be even more excuses to counteract the suggestions.

And it's not just about exercise but diet as well and you already made an excuse that you don't want a boring diet, so as ever wannbe weight loosers are looking for the holy grail of eating what they'd like to and doing little or no exercise rolling eyes

Think I'll leave this thread now, though I bet it's still going this time next year Laughing
ski holidays
@Weathercam, mwwaaa. I think losing 7kg may already mean that I have made changes, and I am losing weight without a boring diet, so yes, lets just leave it there.
snow conditions
Quote:

so as ever wannbe weight loosers are looking for the holy grail of eating what they'd like to and doing little or no exercise

Shocked Nothing @Hells Bells has posted gives you any excuse for that comment, @Weathercam. You do have a way of implying that anyone who doesn't beast themselves cycling over cols (or whatever) is some kind of copping-out namby pamby. You've done the same to me in the past but, like @Hells Bells, I don't GAFF what you think of me!
snow report
@pam w, and I snipe? I'm having salmon, samphire and asparagus for dinner tonight. None of it boring, and none of it unhealthy. Ive made a sorrel sauce with a little but of reduced fat creme fraiche. If WC wants to eat brown rice and plain chicken he can.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, yum, I'm planning much the same for tomorrow, I've got some sorrel which needs harvesting.

@pam w, hope you're OK.
ski holidays
Good to see Hells Bells ignoring the fitness maniacs and cycling fundamentalists.

Just eat, train and rest in moderation.

Don't become one of them skeleton fitness bores in Reebok sneakers.
snow report
@Whitegold, thanks for your support.
snow conditions
Whitegold wrote:
Good to see Hells Bells ignoring the fitness maniacs and cycling fundamentalists.

Just eat, train and rest in moderation.

Don't become one of them skeleton fitness bores in Reebok sneakers.

Whitegold, what have you done with Whitegold, and where's the body?
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:
@pam w, and I snipe? I'm having salmon, samphire and asparagus for dinner tonight. None of it boring, and none of it unhealthy. Ive made a sorrel sauce with a little but of reduced fat creme fraiche. If WC wants to eat brown rice and plain chicken he can.

Delicious
ski holidays
@Weathercam, My brother did the Marmot several years ago. He was 5'10" and 18.5 stone, ex rugby player so a big lad. He really got into his biking, did a few 100 mile sportives and the entered the Marmot with a bunch of his slim cycling mates Shocked he trained like hell, got down to 14.5 stone and finished it, although just ahead of the mop up at 12hrs 50 mins. A hell of an achievment, I am very proud of him Toofy Grin
latest report
@Hells Bells, It can be more healthy to lose weight slowly and also to gain fitness at a slow pace. Too many people go mad at it and end up with injuries or burn out and lose all motivation.

My bro had a big goal so he was training for something specific... he ended up getting up at 5am and doing 10 ascents of the Horseshoe Pass before going into work in the afternoon. Way too dedicated for me LOL, I much prefer an easier life with more fun.
snow report
@pam w, as ever getting your knickers in a twist, sorry but what was so wrong / offensive about that comment ?

People that often want to loose weight attempt to seek out the easiest way rolling eyes

Geees you lot will have StAnton agreeing with you next, now that is an insult Laughing

And I sincerely hope, and I think she knows this, that Hells Bells, goes out of her way to prove me wrong, like I said a few pages back, sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

Ciao
snow report
DB wrote:
Weathercam wrote:

My first reaction was that'll be that smug git Weathercam until Hellsbells said it wasn't and I realised it was me Laughing wink
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
@Weathercam, mwwaaa. I think losing 7kg may already mean that I have made changes, and I am losing weight without a boring diet, so yes, lets just leave it there.
And there endeth the lesson. Losing weight and getting fitter need not be a race. The medical profession say that the optimum weight loss is 0.5 kg a week. For a woman of your height (not a big number for those that don't know you wink ) that figure could well be less. As long as you are losing weight it really doesn't matter how fast you are doing it. 0.25 a week is 13kg a year.

If I was to bug off riding my bike all day a couple of times a week I would be single fairly quickly. If what you do within your personal circumstances is working then just be happy with what you are achieving. As long as the trend is downwards for weight and upwards for fitness then you are winning. I cut the lawn on Saturday, lovely day, quite a big lawn with slopes. 18 months ago every joint would be aching, back would be sore, and I would be sweating heavily and bushed by the end. On Saturday I didn't draw sweat , and then me and the Boss went out for a ride together on the moors.

I set myself a goal for skiing in mid march, achieved it, but came back with very sore old joints, in pain and knowing I had achieved my goal and within a few weeks had piled on 3.5 kg.. I was feeling so good before skiing that getting back on it was easy. I thought it wouldn't be, but it was. 0.5 kg off this week, 0.5 kg off last week. I still eat well, just only at meal times Toofy Grin My rather wonderful other half has been very supportive, giving praise even when the tiniest of results has been achieved. My hip replacement was 14 and a half months ago and that now equates to 1 kg a month - A figure not worth considering by some, but You would not recognise me as a person now - Active, a lot lighter, massively fitter, 1 very happy and much included partner, and not looking like a pork ball. 7kg, is great, let's have another 7kg in the next 7 months.

You are getting lighter and fitter....end of.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
within a few weeks had piled on 3.5 kg..

S'Funny how quickly you can put weight on, but then it's much harder to lose again, although I'd guess 1kg of that would drop off again fairly quickly once you cut down again on the "treats" and booze....but then the rest takes a bit longer.
latest report
@Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Such a lovely post (no surprise). I only hope that your post-skiing pain won't result in you giving up. One of my fitness-related goals is to ski with you again!
snow report
@kitenski, and if you are on a rigorous diet the weight gain can be even more dramatic. Losing slowly you know that the weight you are losing is all fat - Not muscle, bone density, nutrients, minerals etc.... But that said, if crash dieting works for someone, then where is the problem. If it works it works. IMV losing weight and getting fit is nearly all in the mind and so you have to find a way that suits your mindset and personal circumstances.
Weathercam has said that he puts on timber during the winter and he has a way of losing that weight and getting bike fit - it works for him and that is all that counts. Thursdays are weigh days for me, but last night some friends took us out for a meal - It was a great meal and I had 3 fabulous courses; A crab cannelloni, Coley with asparagus and a pea risotto, Lime and passionfruit pannacotta, nice wine etc etc. Man cannot live by kale alone. Keep up the good work all snowHead

@Hurtle, [insert blowing kiss emoji]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 17-05-18 9:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
... People that often want to loose weight attempt to seek out the easiest way rolling eyes ...

You seem to imply there is something wrong with that approach - but most of us would say that this is the most important thing - to find the easiest way to lose weight?
Much more likely to be a long-term change if it is 'easier' and possible to incorporate within your lifestyle.
Surely???
ski holidays
Quote:

If I was to bug off riding my bike all day a couple of times a week I would be single fairly quickly.

Laughing Whereas as it is, FtS, not only are you not single, there are people (including me) who have never met you, but have inferred from your posts over the years that they would very much like to, and to go skiing with you.

It's not about getting your heart rate up - it's about getting your heart in the right place. wink
latest report
@pam w, @Hurtle, +1....he is lovely...far too long since i last skied with him. Looking forward to the next time.
snow report
Not sure I'd go that far...
ski holidays
There's a technique in cycling for tackling difficult hills, losing weight / getting fit is like tackling such a hill. Maintaining your slimmer / fitter self is like climbing hill after hill after hill.

It goes like this -
Don't look at the top of the hill.
Concentrate on keeping your wheels rotating always, even if it's only at the slowest speed that enables you to keep balance (without fighting for balance).
Don't go hell for leather because you will run out of steam and stop. Getting going again on a steep hill is sometimes impossible.
When you get to the top you should have a reserve of energy and not be looking as if your head is going to expload.
The same hill will be easier next time round. You will start looking for more difficult hills.
The only real danger is that you will progress so far that you start posting your massive hill climbing achievements on the internet to pee off others and become a right smug twit (spelling?). This is where you can use one of two techniques called "be a nice person" or if you can't manage that "don't be a tw@t". This is clearly one aspect I myself have not quite perfected. Toofy Grin

To translate this into losing weight / getting fit -
Don't keep putting yourself on the scales, don't keep comparing your current weight with the target weight because your mind could start saying I'm miles away I'll never achieve this.
Your exercise plan should have a minium programme. e.g. if I can't get out on the MTB or go mountain walking because of weather or other commitments I'm on the cross trainer in the cellar - this really motivates me to do something outside in the summer.
People often go hell for leather on a diet and lose weight, they "reach the top of the hill" but they are mentally / physically finished and it's not sustainable. They give up and slide back down the hill. They don't attempt the next hill.
Eventually you get to a stage where it becomes routine just like brushing your teeth, it becomes normal, it doesn't feel like a lot of effort, you feel great, it improves so many aspects of your life (sleep, health, looks, mood, skiing, performance between the sheets) and nothing would convince to go back. Not even the odd sheep telling you your life is no fun wink

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 17-05-18 11:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

The only real danger is that you will progress so far that you start posting your massive hill climbinhg achievements on the internet to pee off others and become a right smug twit

Laughing My "100 miles in Normandy" challenge starts when I catch the ferry tonight to Ouistreham - along with the other folk doing this sponsored ride for the new St Wilfrid's hospice in Chichester. I can safely say I shall be posting no hill climbing achievements on the internet. I shall be delighted if I end up without having to get off and walk up a gentle incline which our internet achievers would not even notice.
snow report
@DB, snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
@pam w, good luck
ski holidays
@pam w, good luck!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy