Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercise. Fitness and a bit less of the fatness

Poster: A snowHead
@NickyJ, I used to get these headaches when I skipped school lunch as a teenager. Not for wieght purposes,but if I didn't like the food, ot if I wanted the cash for something else. I'd come home and have to go to bed. I obviously haven't grown out of it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well I am 70 fat and have a bum knee.

2 months before I go skiing I cut out bread potatoes and rice.

For exercise I swim I will admit that this is easier for me than for most as I live on a sailboat in the Caribbean. I wake up and fall over the side most mornings.. Swimming is excellent exercise for wrinklies as it is non weight bearing. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hells Bells,
It might be dehydration or a lack of salt

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/headaches-on-diet-days/

http://www.hormonesmatter.com/dehydration-salt-deficiency-trigger-migraines/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
7 weeks of cycling now, 7 kg gone, legs are good when skiing in the fridges, and I'm a notch in on the belt. Cut down on booze a lot, but not totally. Just got to keep it going!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, Just picked up on this thread as I must have missed it earlier. Reading your description of your blood pressure "issues" I got a feeling that I might have written it myself ie. always been reasonably fit, not overweight, careful diet but blood pressure all over the shop (especially at Doctors / hospital / nurse), low heartrate etc. Had so many ECG's and echocardiograms (private and NHS) that I reckon I could pretty well do them myself now. Final answer from a very experienced blood pressure consultant is "sometimes that's the way it is, keep taking the drugs though, just in case" rolling eyes
Fortunately I do not have any immediate reaction from them, the drugs that is, but long term I have to say it does concern me and am just hoping some new method of analysis is going to appear soon to maybe give a more definitive diagnosis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@DB, shouldn't be, I drink plenty of fluids, and it is highly unlikely to be a salt deficiency.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It might also be low blood sugar levels.
https://www.migrainetrust.org/about-migraine/trigger-factors/hypoglycaemia/

Regarding salt/sodium - I used to have problems after doing a lot of exercise where I sweated a lot (mountain biking, ski touring & boxing training) causing sodiums levels to drop. It took me a long time to realise that although I was drinking a lot of water my body was just throwing it out so as not to further dilute the low sodium levels. Once I added a little bit of salt to the water I was drinking I wasn't peeing every 5 mins = the body hydrated. Can't say for sure if the ski touring headaches came from the altitude or the low sodium levels or from a combination of both.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 11-10-17 16:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The dog thwarted my plans for a much longer walk this afternoon. Which was a shame as I'd already delayed it due to pouring rain, and the sun was back out and it was lovely.
He just plonked himself down, rolled over in the damp grass and refused to go any further. They've both had upset tummies, so probably not quite better yet.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells wrote:
The dog thwarted my plans for a much longer walk this afternoon. Which was a shame as I'd already delayed it due to pouring rain, and the sun was back out and it was lovely.
He just plonked himself down, rolled over in the damp grass and refused to go any further.

My girlfriend can be like that sometimes Toofy Grin

Exercise is like rolling a stone ball, it takes a lot to get going and then get fit but if you let the ball stop it takes a lot to get it going again.
Something crops up, an exercise session is missed; then another and then the thought of getting the ball rolling again is a big put off and the get fit/slim plan falls apart.
So as not to lose full momentum I have the cross trainer in the cellar so whatever happens (weather, dog etc) I can at least do something.

Actually enjoying the cross trainer at the moment after installing a smart TV with Amazon prime, Netflix & YouTube (ski clips). Forget I'm even training and have done around 10 hours on it during the last 8 days.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I do wish I had somewhere to keep an exercise machine, but one would look really horrible in any room in my house and the cellar isn't suitable (unless your name is Fritzl.)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't really have room or the desire to have one hanging round my lounge either.
Laughing Laughing Laughing .
I can't quite picture Hurtle on a cross trainer in her cellar
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is how any room in your house looks (lounge, spare room, cellar etc) more important than your health?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@DB, the choice isn't quite that black and white, fortunately.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It’s the lack of desire which colors how the exercise looks in the room Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@abc, you also need the space for the items without getting rid of what you have. Like my dogs and piano.
snow report
I want to be top fit and slim but it's not going to work because they don't make an exercise machine to match the curtains and cushions in the lounge, yeah right. Laughing
ski holidays
@DB, that isn't what either of us said. Now butt out if you haven't anything more constructive to say.
ski holidays
This is where Virtual Reality could really come into it's own. Then you really wouldn't care what the cellar looked like, cos you wouldn't be able to see it!
latest report
@Hurtle, one cellar + one Zwift subscription (and suitable hardware/TV/monitor) and you'll be fine Smile

Interesting things happening with smart bikes...first out the blocks was/is Wattbike with the Atom

and a "concept" Tacx Neo Smart Bike

latest report
@kitenski, you haven't seen my cellar.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@DB, that isn't what either of us said. Now butt out if you haven't anything more constructive to say.

So what are you saying? there isn't enough space in the cellar?
snow report
@DB,
Quote:

there isn't enough space in the cellar?
Correct
snow conditions
I think a Concept II (rowing machine) would be better than a bike, unless you're thinking of bike specific training.
latest report
@philwig, yep, the rower is my favourite machine.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@DB,
Quote:

there isn't enough space in the cellar?
Correct

Had the same problem so had a big sort out and took loads of stuff to the tip.
There are many fitness machines that take up very little floor space and some even fold up.

e.g.
https://www.topfitnessmag.com/elliptical-reviews/nordictrack-spacesaver-se9i-elliptical-review/

Fold up rowing machines take up even less space than a cross trainer
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st_review-rank?rh=n%3A318949011%2Cn%3A%21319530011%2Cn%3A319535011%2Cn%3A458412031%2Cn%3A319550011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A1297113031&qid=1507824561&sort=review-rank&tag=amz07b-21

Like I keep saying if there's a will there's a way.

... and if space really is that tight then gyms have cross trainers.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 12-10-17 16:10; edited 2 times in total
snow report
That new watt bike does look the business. May have a go at connecting my LeMond to Zwift via bike's powermeter and a dongle this winter.
snow conditions
@DB, thanks, but I have researched various options on the basis of cost, aesthetics and space and going to the gym is the best bet for me. You seem to have assumed that I do nothing to keep fit, for some unknown reason.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@DB, thanks, but I have researched various options on the basis of cost, aesthetics and space and going to the gym is the best bet for me. You seem to have assumed that I do nothing to keep fit, for some unknown reason.

OK quote where I said that ......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB,
Quote:

quote where I said that
This implies it:
Quote:

Like I keep saying if there's a will there's a way.

... and if space really is that tight then gyms have cross trainers.
snow report
@Hurtle,

You said ...

Hurtle wrote:
I do wish I had somewhere to keep an exercise machine, but one would look really horrible in any room in my house and the cellar isn't suitable (unless your name is Fritzl.)

... and I was trying to give you advice on how to achieve that. Nothing more nothing less.
snow report
@DB, the 'something more' was your reference to the gym. And my post was just a statement of fact, not a request for advice.
ski holidays
I'm with those who don't want exercise kit cluttering up their living space. I had to have an exercise bike in my living room for 6 months for rehab purposes and I hated it. I live in the countryside with lots of exercise options on the doorstep (apart from a rowable river) so would never go to the gym unless it was out of necessity for a specific rehab programme; but, one day, when I live in a proper house with a truly 'spare' room, I'm going to get a Concept II - over and beyond the fitness aspect, strengthening my back muscles massively helps my inherent back issues. Not sure there's ever such a thing as a 'spare' room, though - when I lived alone in quite a spacious 3-bed garden flat I filled the whole space perfectly!
ski holidays
@Hurtle,
Other people are also giving you advice (e.g. Kittenski) why single me out?
The advice I gave earlier in the thread you even thanked me for but suddenly you don't want advice?
To be honest most of my advice is to Hells Bells not you but you keep chipping in.
This isn't getting either of us anywhere let's agree to disagree, I'll ignore your posts you can ignore mine (esp. if they are not directed to you) - deal?
snow report
@DB, OK. This is the bit I - incorrectly, as it turns out - inferred was directed at both @Hells Bells and me, and which I found mildly offensive:
Quote:

I want to be top fit and slim but it's not going to work because they don't make an exercise machine to match the curtains and cushions in the lounge, yeah right

Apologies for the incorrect inference.
snow report
For anyone looking for a rowing machine for a domestic environment, the WaterRower is also worth a look. A new one is a little more expensive than the Concept II, but if you live in a flat or terraced house the lower noise output can be beneficial to your neighbourly relations! Spare parts are easy to obtain too.
snow conditions
DB - I can see you're trying to be helpful but with the quote highlighted by Hurtle, in addition to "and if space really is that tight then gyms have cross trainers", it can come across as a tad patronising. I'm sure both Hurtle and HB are aware of the existence of gyms... indeed, Hurtle uses one!
ski holidays
Hand Wringer wrote:
DB - I can see you're trying to be helpful but with the quote highlighted by Hurtle, in addition to "and if space really is that tight then gyms have cross trainers", it can come across as a tad patronising. I'm sure both Hurtle and HB are aware of the existence of gyms... indeed, Hurtle uses one!

OK fair enough. Suppose not every one has my warped sense of sexist humour.
I'll let others give advice now and try not to let the door slam my back bottom on the way out of this thread, have fun with it.
snow report
@DB, I'm sure your slim back bottom will slip through the doorway quite easily before the door reaches it.
snow report
@Hells Bells, I managed to accidentally delete a long and rambling response and so I'll restrict this to a recommendation, never miss breakfast ever. And a question, after eating a high carb meal do you feel energised or bloated and dopey?
latest report
Hells Bells wrote:
5:2 diet gives me appaling headaches. I can manage with fruit or no breakfast, but once that gets to the evening it isn't pleasant. Even if I sip water throughout the day.

Before you give up on it I would suggest you try increasing the amount of calories on the fast day to say 750 - or something that you feel is achievable for the long term. 500 is only a guide.
It takes a while before you get used to the fast days but you do and they cease to be uncomfortable.
Drink the same amount of tea/coffee and other drinks but also drink water.
Make sure that you don't over-compensate on the day after as well.
That said, I recognise that 5:2 doesn't work for everyone though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy