Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercise. Fitness and a bit less of the fatness

Poster: A snowHead
chrisdavis wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:
chrisdavis wrote:

They're a good bunch up at Durham.

They come over to race with us. They talk funny but you couldn't meet a nicer bunch of lads and lasses. Massively competitive at every level with every crew but once you hit the bar everyone is equal. There are a couple of clubs from a bit further south who are a bunch of snobby bastards. I would rather sink them than have a drink with them.

When you say 'up at Durham' can I assume you are a bit further south? wink

I row at Bradford. Yorkshire, not on Avon wink

Just re-read my reply. My comment wasn't about that club at all, they've always been lovely too - it's just that other clubs hear 'Bradford' and think we're them...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chrisdavis, Bit more south east. wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last October I was a 33 year old programmer, smoker, 105 kg at 176cm, blood pressure 160/120 and a collection of small and annoying health issues people don't usually talk about. Could hardly walk a mile at a brisk tempo, couldn't play football with the son for more than 5 minutes, couldn't ski properly, etc...

Today - non smoker, 83 kg (and keep loosing), blood pressure almost back to normal, all small annoying issues gone, can easily run 7.5km, do 10 pull ups and even some stuff on the gym bar I've never been able to do before. Generally feel like I'm born again.

All thanks to 5:2, or rather 4:3 diet.

On diet days, I simply have a protein rich breakfast (2-3 boiled eggs, a toast, black tea), lots of water during the day, trip to the gym instead of lunch (I do HIIT on an x-trainer), a bowl of salad for dinner. Simple and easy.

I did find, that I can't have free for all on non-diet days, as it undoes everything I achieved, so I have to keep myself more or less under control and avoid snacks, esp late night.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@oleksii, well done. How did you reduce the blood pressure?

I do have a confession to make.

I can have incredibly high blood pressure and it really is severe white coat syndrome. After having to visit Briancon hospital with a serious ankle infection thought they were going to hospitalise me!

Three or four years ago I had a series of major tests and scans (nuclear medicine) on my heart, as BP was high, (they cancelled my ACL op until they knew more about my condition) and nothing, also 48hr blood pressure monitor.

About a year after the 48hr test I had to go to the Doctors and I asked them as I'd heard nothing and was told it was all ok and within the accepted levels!!!

So fast forward to now, and I thought I'd start monitoring it again as just maybe I'd have to accept that I might have to go on "pills", my worry is how it will affect my cycling performance.

So if I monitor first thing in the morning it's really high 165 / 100 etc but my resting HR is 45 - if I monitor it again after an easy dog walk it's 150/90 resting HR 52 - then if I'm back from a ride where I've pushed myself it's nigh on normal with a resting HR of 70

So seems the lower my HR is the higher the BP ?????
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Weathercam, for me it was simply a matter of loosing weight, stopping smoking and reducing salt intake (I used to have those boiled eggs and salads with salt, now I don't) and generally being more active and healthy.

When I say 'almost back to normal', it's still pretty high into 140s, occasionally low 150s, but me and my doctor decided to give it time as I'm making a very good progress.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, if those figures are your resting BP, you need to take a set of regular readings down to your GP.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As BMI (Body Mass Index) can mean someone is overweight or has a high muscle mass, a low heart rate can mean someone is fit or has a medical condition (e.g. Bradycardia).

http://www.topendsports.com/testing/heart-rate-resting-chart.htm

I'm late 40's with a resting heart rate between 47 and 53 - the lower rate corresponding to when I'm fitter.

Chris Froome's (Professional Cyclist) resting heart rate has been measured as low as 29 bpm.

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/scicurious/slow-heartbeat-athletes-not-so-funny

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 4-09-17 15:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Resting HR when I was proper fit was 43, went up to about 70 after a year of no cycling. Back in the low 50's now after 3 weeks on the bike. Daren't look at BMI yet, but there's a steady weight loss. Hopefully will mean I can get out and do some hillier rides in The Peak without going into the red too much.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

or has a medical condition (e.g. Bradycardia).

bradycardia just means low heart rate.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Weathercam, People can live with HP all there lives (very long). It is when Doctors interfere with BP pills that folks end up dying.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.expertrain.com/blog/fitness/squash-is-the-healthiest-sport.htm
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hells Bells, I know, that's sort of where I'm at - appt is for this Fri but only with a feckin nurse, who is going to suggest exactly what I've been doing and will probably base her prognosis on one or two readings and what's the betting she will not have bothered reading my BP history rolling eyes

Think I'm going to try and ween myself off salt as that's where I know I'm not good, but I just need to have it on food.

Maybe I have hardened arteries hence HP at rest and then once heart is more active it's pumping better ??????

Like I say, I've been here before but now I'm a wee bit older so should be careful etc

And then there's the other little enlarged matter brought about by a new bike and saddle not at the right angle, thought I'd corrected it and all was fine and had been doing some long rides sans issue then I went out on the MTB at the weekend Puzzled
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

or has a medical condition (e.g. Bradycardia).

bradycardia just means low heart rate.

Most Websites talk about it as being a condition, assumed it was a recognised medical condition. So what is the medical term for a low heart beat?

Quote:
If you have bradycardia, your brain and other organs might not get enough oxygen, possibly causing these symptoms:
•Near-fainting or fainting (syncope)
•Dizziness or lightheadedness
•Fatigue
•Shortness of breath
•Chest pains
•Confusion or memory problems
•Easily tiring during physical activity

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bradycardia/symptoms-causes/dxc-20321638
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, try using more black pepper and less salt. I know it sounds kinda obvious and banal, but it worked for me - it's difficult for the first couple of weeks but then you get used to it. I don't salt most of my foods and don't feel a need to.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DB, bradycardia can be a symptom of a medical condition (e.g. hypothryoidism, ) or a side-effect of medication (beta-blockers) but all it really means is slow heart rate. Being very fit is one cause of bradycardia. It is not a condition in its own right. The page you linked to says that.
snow report
@Weathercam, it is quite normal to attend for an appointment with a practice nurse or nurse practioner for BP measurement.You don't really need a GP unless he/she is concerned. They will read your history, as they will need to know if they need to refer you straight to the GP. Take your own readings along too.
snow conditions
Quote:

So what is the medical term for a low heart beat?

bradycardia
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, like I say "Watch this space" - my old surgery closed down and was brilliant, they opened up at 07:30 and you just went up there and waited and was never a long wait as for many was just too early in the day. I tried to see the Doctor about my other matter and I have to wait for Tues week and then it's only a telephone call, it's truly amazing how we go backwards in terms of service etc I'm actually thinking of paying to see a Dr, do it France and pay €25-30 so why not here?
ski holidays
@Weathercam,

Were the high blood pressure readings always in the morning - if so might be worth getting checked up for Sleep Apnea.

https://www.cardiosmart.org/news-and-events/2015/05/sleep-apnea-and-high-blood-pressure-a-dangerous-pair

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/11/161117105115.htm
snow report
This is all very interesting for a 230lb, 64 yr old with severe RA, two VERY boogered shoulders, 1.5 lungs and a kermit Meccano leg . . . I spend a minimum of 11 hrs a day sitting on my butt with BP all over the map anything from 116/59 to 165/129 . . . BUT . . . I've been on a fixed route for the last four months and I manage to hit an 'Anytime Gym' 4 times a week. The RA is a real hinderance to upper body weight training . . . seriously when trying a 10kg chest press and it feels like a firework has just exploded inside your shoulders . . . it's a bit of a downer Evil or Very Mad

But, I can walk forever and I can now work a 'Life Fitness' eliptical at 100% load for an hour keeping my HR below 145bpm and my resting HR is now bouncing on 67 . . . AND I STILL WEIGH 230lb!!!!

As far as I can tell I'm going to need to lower my calory intake to below 1K Kcal a day to lose any weight but as soon as I skip a meal or two I get really faint, BP drops like a stone . . . not good when I'm a 40 ton kinetic bomb . . . any suggestions?
snow report
@Masque, espresso is the answer...
snow report
@Steilhang, I have a Nespresso in my truck and it lifts my soul but spikes my BP nearly every morning. It may be good for my heart but it does boogeral for my weight Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
AND I STILL WEIGH 230lb!!!!

As far as I can tell I'm going to need to lower my calorie intake to below 1K Kcal a day to lose any weight but as soon as I skip a meal or two I get really faint, BP drops like a stone . . . not good when I'm a 40 ton kinetic bomb . . . any suggestions?

Stop eating so much shite?

You need more than 1k calories just to move 230 lbs around and breathe and live. If you are doing an hour on an elliptical you are burning a lot of energy and increasing your metabolic rate by some random amount which no-one has ever been able to calculate.

You know how your 40 ton kinetic bomb works....If you put in more fuel than you burn every day then eventually it starts spilling over. If you don't put enough in then you run out and it stops.

I wouldn't worry about the weights.....the big muscles (your back bottom) can burn energy more quickly than the skinny little ones. You could be 5'6 with a 30" waist and still be 230 lb.....so stick with the elliptical....I like non impact exercise.

As previously posted, keep an honesty diary of what you really eat rather than what you think you eat. Every little snack has to go in the diary. Working out the snack calories for the first week is a bit of a PITA but it will probably be the same in the second week, so much easier. I haven't bought coffee, sugar or salt in years. I used to get the shakes if I had too much coffee and a blinding headache if I didn't have enough.....and then maybe bung in a couple of sugars for an energy boost. Terrible idea.

I'm not convinced about the relationship between salt and hypertension but we have done that on another thread. I can't imagine that you have much time for cooking after 11 hours in the truck but for your future well being I suspect that you need to stop snacking and start making healthy meals. Some sort of healthy cereal for brekkie, home cooked lean meat (lean beef is entirely acceptable and can actually stabilise BP) and salad for lunch and maybe afternoon snack. Cook a fresh meal when you get home.* Go easy on the carbs.

*I know. It isn't easy. When my family bail on me I can't be ar5ed making a healthy meal for one so I just eat shite. A can of tuna, 9 slices of white toast and a packet of Custard Creams seems entirely appropriate sometimes. wink
snow conditions
Anyone know how many calories in a McVities digestive? I can live without many things but not without these!
snow report
@Steilhang, assuming you are not eating the Canadian 1oz variety (90 ) there are 71 calories per standard 14.8g biscuit. A chocolate biscuit takes it up to 86.

source: MyFitnessPal

That's a lot of steps...
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, how depressing!
latest report
How many in a large packet of milk chocolate ones? Embarassed
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, oh dear. Must be 20 or so. A mere 1720 calories...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Steilhang wrote:
Anyone know how many calories in a McVities digestive? I can live without many things but not without these!

Two digestives a day is about the same as a stone of weight gain a year. Enjoy wink
snow report
@Masque, as @Thornyhill says, the maths is very simple:
- To lose keep your weight stable you need to burn exact amount of energy you consume
- To gain weight you need to burn less than you consume
- To lose weight you need to burn more than you consume

So to lose, you need to create an energy deficit. Whether you do it on a daily level (traditional low calorie diet) or weekly level (intermittent fasting) doesn't matter that much. For some people daily diet works best, but I'm not one of them - I don't have enough will power.

Whatever you do, get as much exercise as you can. Any exercise is better than no exercise.
Try HIIT - it takes 30 minutes and is very effective.
My schema on an elliptical is 35 minutes:
1. 5 min 30 sec warm up
2. 30/30 burst-recovery sequence, i.e. 5.30-6.00 burst, 6.00-6.30 recovery, 6.30-7.00 burst..... and last burst 9.30-10.00
3. 5 min 30 sec cooldown, i.e. 10.00 - 15.30
4. Again 30/30 sequence (15.30 - 20.00)
5. 5 min 30 sec cooldown (20.00 - 25.30)
6. Another 30/30 sequqnce (25.30 - 30.00)
7. Final 5 minutes cooldown

Because I combined it with my fast day and had no lunch, the effect was drastic. Just be careful not to lose too much weight.
For the first couple of weeks I used to lose 2-2.5kg per week - this is too much and could be dangerous mind you, but I just couldn't stop.

The second best thing that made a difference for me as mentioned above is snacks. Just don't. Especially after dinner. Snacks are virtually always full of sugar, which means your pancreas needs to produce insulin to process it. And insulin inhibits fat breakdown and stimulates fat grows.

Eat as much as you need for breakfast and lunch, but try to resist overeating for dinner. Have a large bowl of salad and baked salmon, or chicken filet. Little or no carbs. Then hot tea (try pu-erh) or coffee. Go to bed as early as you can before you feel hunger again. If you wake up with cravings, just have a large glass of water and wait for 2 minutes, you will be surprised to find that it kills hunger most of the time. If you still can't sleep, think about a nice meal you are gonna have in the morning.

I went through all this. My usual late night snack was a pint of milk and a pack of biscuits. Embarassed
snow conditions
@oleksii, out of interest how many calories would that HIIT 30 min workout burn?

I did a 27 min outdoor run with descending intervals last night, ie 5 min fast, 1m walk, 4min fast, 1 min walk, 3,2 1 and that supposedly burnt 459 calories
ski holidays
@kitenski, around 500 according to the machine. HIIT is also supposed to give you that after-burn effect that lasts a couple of hours later, especially in combination with fasting.
snow conditions
Thornyhill wrote:
Steilhang wrote:

Two digestives a day is about the same as a stone of weight gain a year. Enjoy wink
Now I understand, and here was me blaming the beer.
ski holidays
If you dunk it too long and it falls in then I take it you can knock a few calories off as you never get all the sludge from the bottom of the cup,right?
snow report
Steilhang wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:
Steilhang wrote:

Now I understand, and here was me blaming the beer.

If it wasn't for beer I would have disappeared several decades ago. I would now be somewhere around minus 300 stone.
ski holidays
Masque wrote:
This is all very interesting for a 230lb, 64 yr old with severe RA, two VERY boogered shoulders, 1.5 lungs and a kermit Meccano leg . . . I spend a minimum of 11 hrs a day sitting on my butt with BP all over the map anything from 116/59 to 165/129 . . . BUT . . . I've been on a fixed route for the last four months and I manage to hit an 'Anytime Gym' 4 times a week. The RA is a real hinderance to upper body weight training . . . seriously when trying a 10kg chest press and it feels like a firework has just exploded inside your shoulders . . . it's a bit of a downer Evil or Very Mad

But, I can walk forever and I can now work a 'Life Fitness' eliptical at 100% load for an hour keeping my HR below 145bpm and my resting HR is now bouncing on 67 . . . AND I STILL WEIGH 230lb!!!!

As far as I can tell I'm going to need to lower my calory intake to below 1K Kcal a day to lose any weight but as soon as I skip a meal or two I get really faint, BP drops like a stone . . . not good when I'm a 40 ton kinetic bomb . . . any suggestions?

The first of these books I have read - plan to read the second.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Why-We-Get-Fat-Vintage/dp/0307474259?tag=amz07b-21

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Obesity-Code-unlocking-secrets-weight/dp/1925228797/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=QX9WDJD72G573KFF9MTD&tag=amz07b-21

If you torture yourself to diet and exercise you probably won't sustain it in the long run. The books should make it easier for you to find a sustainable solution.
latest report
So far. Mixed results. No real weight loss so far, apart from what I'd gained on holiday, but I've made some positive changes, and joined Slimming World, which is the only thing that has worked for me in the past. I've restarted my Pilates classes, and upped both pace and distance on the dog walking, so we're doing double the usual, although with dark nights approaching that's going to be more difficult on at least three night per week. Emptying out my kitchen has meant lots of trips upstairs with heavy boxes too.

Conclusions so far.
I need to gain 12 inches in height so I can actually eat and lose weight.
5:2 diet gives me appaling headaches. I can manage with fruit or no breakfast, but once that gets to the evening it isn't pleasant. Even if I sip water throughout the day.
snow report
@Hells Bells, do you stop drinking caffeine (either via tea or coffee) on the fast days? It could be that that gives you the headaches as opposed to the fasting itself? I personally consume same amount of coffee as normal days just with less milk in.
ski holidays
@NickyJ, no I don't , caffeine intake is the same regardless.
ski holidays
Hells Bells wrote:
@NickyJ, no I don't , caffeine intake is the same regardless.

Oh well. When I stopped having caffeine I had the most horrendous headaches. Made me realise I had been having far too much.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy