Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercise. Fitness and a bit less of the fatness

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/YiAn5DSSI48
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As many have said, the only way to lose weight quickly is to eat fewer calories e.g. cut out sugar, fat, alcohol. I walk twice a week (7 to 10 miles usually), cycle once a week and work in the garage one or two days a week. None of that seems to result in significant weight loss. I decided a long time ago never to increase my waist size, so if my trousers get too tight I do something about it e.g. cut out biscuits, cut out desert, cut out cake (!!) for a while. That works. I've never followed a published diet, it's not rocket science.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hells Bells, Given what you've already tried and dislike, I think increasing pace/distance with the dog walking and eating/drinking less would do the trick.

Have you tried a free app called MyFitnesspal? I find it very useful, at setup you give it a target weight and how much you want to lose (per week I think) you have to get into the mind set of logging everything you eat and drink (everything inc the 'odd' snack here and there) and then "simply" stick to what the calories it tells you to eat daily.

The only other suggestion is group "indoor" bike rides using Zwift. It really is a "social" way to ride https://zwift.com/what-is-zwift

Get an idea of the events here http://zwift.com/en/events/

and a podcast about ladies using the platform https://zwiftcast.com/podcast/zwiftcast-episode-27-zc-feminine/

and a video of a ladies only training ride https://www.facebook.com/ZwiftCommunityLive/videos/1950202858570580/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hells Bells wrote:
@KenX, my honesty is because I really need to do something about it and stop procrastinating. I know that there are probably others on here feeling exactly the same.

Count me amongst them!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Through the winter, I had a very cheap cross trainer in front of the telly with skiing vids on auto play on Youtube.

Bit of fun and made it less boring. Less faff as you don't have to get anywhere but a hulking big machine in the living room.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair wrote:
Hells Bells wrote:
@KenX, my honesty is because I really need to do something about it and stop procrastinating. I know that there are probably others on here feeling exactly the same.

Count me amongst them!

Yeah me to

Appreciate OP hates and will never run - but running is the thing which helped me 12 pounds off since Feb and diet only marginally changed. Couldn't do cycling at high enough intensity to make a difference but was able to up runs from 3*5k to closer to 2*10k and 1*14k which really helped shift the weight and improved figure.

Unfortunately there is no quick and easy way and what works for one person won't work for others.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hells Bells wrote:
@abc, yes, the 2.5 miles is on very busy roads, although nothing compared to London traffic.
There's no cycle path between home and there unless you count the short stretch along a dual carriageway which is the main route from the motorway. We have 2 dogs to let out at lunchtime which is why I drive so I can still go home. I don't need sporty cycle clothing to get there, but I would need to change into work attire, and not be hot and sweaty on arrival. Cycling home at lunchtime does double the exercise difference to 10 miles not 5, but I wouldn't have time to let dogs out, eat my lunch and then get changed back into work clothes again at the other end. And right now, I am probably not fit enough to manage the steep hills out of the city home in a short time. Walking it would increase the time considerably. .

Cycling paths are not what the be all end all solution to cycling. Best to find roads that are not too heavily travelled, with few side streets and driveways. You'd be quite safe in those roads. As for the steep hills, that's precisely what you NEED to get a decent workout!!! (Mind you, you only need to do it in one direction!)

So, your 2.5 mile commute really isn't "too short" after all. Once you got round to solve the few practical obstacles, it WILL provide you with quite excellent exercise!

And if 4x2.5 is too much to begin with, how about starting just with the office that is shorter distance away? 4x1.2 is still better than zero.

One other option is an e-bike. It'll get you up the hill when you initially have difficulty doing it on your own. You can supplement it with your leg power. And as you get fitter, you'll be able to get up the hill without the motor.

Lunch time dog walk -- As jedster puts it, you need to incorporate that into your exercise routine. What kind of dogs are they? Can you run with them?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weight training can help I find as it gives a whole body exercise which walking & running does not , so tends to be more effective in toning up the whole body, a lot of people dont really use their upper body muscles .
have bought some hand weights & a kettlebell to use at home so can just do a whole body work out in 20 or 30 minutes twice a week

or do a body weight only one like squats , starjumps , lunges , burpees ,pressups , situps , planks ,which are also good for skiing , & then do some yoga & stretches ,

the HIITT system is also good as it takes such little time .

Another thing is if you have not exercised much your body can take a longer time to respond to it
whereas if you have done alot of sport previously you get quicker results

the thing is to actually start, little & often but vary it i.e. try doing a different one each day cycling , swimming , tennis , weights ,
walking quickly up hill , HITT , yoga , I found that helps with boredom
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well I've managed to swim twice this week so far, and enjoyed it lots this morning.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My friend had an amazing result doing the body coach programme (joe wickes or something)?!

Not someone who is a fan of exercise at all but decided enough was enough and now enjoys exercise because, as she is much fitter, stronger and slimmer than she was, exercise - like going for a short run or a swim - has become more enjoyable. I know it's about fitness and health but got to say she also looks fab.

She fitted it in around working and having two small children - put it this way, I went round for dinner and sat in the kitchen with a glass of wine whilst she cooked and she said "excuse me while I do my 10 minutes of exercise" and got out a barbell I could barely lift and did some exercises in the kitchen, while I stirred the risotto and chatted to the kids. She then ate the risotto and drank some wine too but just had less than me (though I'm greedy).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I went round for dinner and sat in the kitchen with a glass of wine whilst she cooked and she said "excuse me while I do my 10 minutes of exercise" and got out a barbell I could barely lift and did some exercises in the kitchen, while I stirred the risotto

Golly! Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It was quite amusing the next time I was there and OH and I stayed over - in the morning the kids sat on her feet while she did some sit ups as her OH prepared breakfast for everyone. By the end of it we were all having a go with the barbell and doing sit ups in the kitchen. It seems to be that there are short bursts of exercise combos that have to be done on certain days or something but she just punctuates her day with them and gets on with life normally other than that - think the longest thing you had to do was a 20 minute run or something like that (though maybe I'm misremembering that).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My tuppence worth.

First off, exercising, for all its benefits, is not a great way of losing weight. You have to exercise a lot before you start burning off a significant amount of calories, and for most of us, with jobs that take up a large chunk of our week, it's not all that possible. I reckon exercising is more about getting/staying fit than losing significant weight. Still worth it for that reason, and in that regard every bit helps, so the usual advice of e.g. getting off the train one stop earlier and walking the rest of the way to work (or parking a bit further away if you're driving) applies.

As an example, I live about 1.8 miles from work and walk there and back which gives me about an hour of exercise every day. I also walk down the 12 flights of stairs from my office in the evening on the way home (get the lift up to one of two floors down and walk up the remainder on the way in, 12 floors is a bit too much!). It's not much, and I'm on the younger side, but it does help me stay fit.

The most efficient way of losing weight is through eating and drinking habits. Simple rule of "eat a bit of everything, not too much, mostly vegetables" works well, and you should try as much as possible to limit your alcohol intake. Alcohol = lots of calories. Simple things like using smaller plates/glasses can work by tricking the mind into reducing portion size.

Agree with others that any change you make to your diet and/or activity levels has to be sustainable.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Agree with others that any change you make to your diet and/or activity levels has to be sustainable.

Not entirely. My weight has sometimes crept up above what I wanted it to be, then I've cut down on calorie intake and upped my activity a bit, till weight gets down to where I want it. That's quite hard work. Then for "maintenance" I can take it a bit easy. Just watch if it begins to creep up - then have another diet and exercise binge. I'm not talking about yo-yo dieting here. Not much more than one stone up or down since I was a teenager - and the diet binge maybe once every two years.

Getting 9 or 10 lbs off is hard work. I couldn't face trying to lose loads of stones - so I make sure I don't put them on!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Exercise is great but once your past 40 you need to eat n drink less.. I'm often amazed what my chums can put away a day in food. I only eat twice a day now ..
Post 50 you deffo need to swim or do upper body weights three times a week unless you want one of those skinny upper arm zero shoulder bodies !
snow report
Boris wrote:
Appreciate OP hates and will never run - but running is the thing which helped me 12 pounds off since Feb and diet only marginally changed. Couldn't do cycling at high enough intensity to make a difference but was able to up runs from 3*5k to closer to 2*10k and 1*14k which really helped shift the weight and improved figure.

Unfortunately there is no quick and easy way and what works for one person won't work for others.

The thing I don't like about running is the joint impact when running roads, heard of/know of many people who ran on roads and ended up needing new hips & knees etc.
ski holidays
Gilberts Fridge wrote:
Through the winter, I had a very cheap cross trainer in front of the telly with skiing vids on auto play on Youtube.

Bit of fun and made it less boring. Less faff as you don't have to get anywhere but a hulking big machine in the living room.

There are some cross trainer designs that take up less space e.g. Bowflex
http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/bowflex-max-trainer-m5.html

Water rowers are another good option for the living room - fold up vertically and the wood versions look more like a piece of furnitiure
http://world.waterrower.com/
latest report
@pam w,
Quote:

Not much more than one stone up or down since I was a teenager
+1, but I'm either skinny (well, perhaps not exactly skinny) or porky at either end of that scale, on account of being vertically challenged.

@CANV CANVINGTON,
Quote:

I only eat twice a day now ..
+1
snow report
@DB,
Quote:

Water rowers are another good option for the living room - fold up vertically and the wood versions look more like a piece of furnitiure
Ooh, I might have a look at those. Floor space is at a premium in my house and the rower is my favourite machine by far.
snow conditions
Go proper rowing. No-one lives that far from a river. You can race with yourself based on previous stroke rates, times and skill level or race against another person at which point most rowers would rather die trying than lose. You can scull (you have two oars and you are on your own), team scull (2,4 or 8 members of a crew) or sweep (you only have one oar...much more of a team sport but you need to be in a crew of similar talent and fitness) Our eldest member is 83. She regularly embarrasses people who are 20 or 30 years younger. Non impact sport. No knee replacements required.....main problem is that a few drinks afterwards is nearly mandatory! If you get into team mode you get those evenings where you might not bother with the gym or a machine but you always have that nagging feeling of not letting the team down. So you drag your sorry ass off to the club even when you don't want to. An hour long hard training session might burn >800 calories....three sessions a week will have you fit as a butchers dog and losing weight unless you eat a bit more cheese and have another drink.

If you factor in race day when you invariably throw up your lunch after the race you might need three or four extra drinks Happy
latest report
Isn't the problem with a lot of outdoor fitness activities that weather or darkness causes a break and then it's a lot of work to get the outdoor fitness activity rolling again?
snow report
@DB, We row all year round. Maybe the odd day where it is mad windy we will give it a miss. Nothing like hammering down the Lagan in complete darkness while you trust the cox to navigate by streetlights and memory.
snow report
Thornyhill wrote:
@DB, We row all year round. Maybe the odd day where it is mad windy we will give it a miss. Nothing like hammering down the Lagan in complete darkness while you trust the cox to navigate by streetlights and memory.

Where I live winter temps of minus 15 Deg C are not uncommon so probably wouldn't work all year round here but in Durham ......

"Rowing is a sport that can be learnt at any age with sections and competitions for all the different age groups from 9 to 90. There are opportunities for Recreational rowing and for Competitive rowing."

http://www.durham-arc.org.uk/thinking-of-rowing/

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 1-09-17 23:29; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Eh when I were a lad... winter water training. By end of session, when street lights were bright in the gloom, I remember the coach peeling our hands off t'oars: the water were regularly frozen between fingers and wood. But we was hard, and it made men of us, lad.

Bit of advice tho - don't think that as a fit J16, winning regattas and tankards in the 1970's, you can just jump in a boat 20 years later and row with the youngsters... technique gets you only so far.
latest report
A few fitness motivational quotes to help Hells Bells and other snowheads get fit

Making excuses burns Zero calories per hour

You won't get the ass you want by sitting on it

Get fit in the gym, lose weight in the kitchen

Food is the most abused anxiety drug, exercise is the most underused antidepressant

Skinny girls look good in clothes, fit girls look good naked.

Sweat is just fat crying

It's not about having time, it's about making time.

Health is not about the fat you lose but the life you gain.

A one hour workout is 4% of your day

The only bad workout is the one you didn't do

Fitness is like a marriage, you can't cheat on it and expect it to work.

Junk food satisfies you for a minute, being & staying fit satisfies you for life.

Be stronger than your excuses

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 1-09-17 23:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@DB, minus 15 might be a bit of a challenge on the technical side....more like an erg than a boat possibly...loads of effort and you don't move. Laughing

@Arctic Roll, After a 25 year holiday I jumped back in the boat and could hold my own with anyone over a 500m sprint....took me a while to get back to previous 2k times. That isn't the point though. It is good fun, non impact sport, you can compete with yourself, you feel an obligation to not let the crew down and it has its own social life. There are so many race categories that you will absolutely get to compete against someone of a similar level of skill and fitness. The crew thing is good because when you get home from work knackered you wouldn't consider the gym or a run but you can't let your seven mates down.

p.s. - Your handle shouldn't be wet....work on your technique wink
latest report
DB wrote:
here but in Durham ......

"Rowing is a sport that can be learnt at any age with sections and competitions for all the different age groups from 9 to 90. There are opportunities for Recreational rowing and for Competitive rowing."

That linky makes it seem a bit formal. As a rule you show up and say 'Can I have a go?' and you will be in a boat before you can get your shoes off. Rowers converting non rowers make religious zealots look like they aren't making much effort.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/FctsxV2fygM
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Thornyhill, oh I agree about the crew thing. It is the ultimate team sport - if you no show, the team don't go. And that's the motivation entirely.

As for not splashing the oars, well yes. But sometimes in winter, the Thames can get a little choppy...
latest report
Arctic Roll wrote:
@Thornyhill, oh I agree about the crew thing. It is the ultimate team sport - if you no show, the team don't go. And that's the motivation entirely.

As for not splashing the oars, well yes. But sometimes in winter, the Thames can get a little choppy...

I started rowing in the sea when I was 9. A place called 'Drains Bay'. It was called Drains Bay because all the raw sewage from 25,000 people was discharged into the sea there. Excellent way to improve your no splash technique in a 10 ft swell when the penalty was a turd in the face. Very Happy
snow conditions
@Hells Bells, I hear what you have posted a lot via Mrs Sunshine81. She is a full time group fitness instructor and personal trainer and trains a wide spectrum of people. Each person has their own story of why they want help with their training (ranges from people with eating disorders, new mums, people wanting to tone up, people training for Great North Run, hiking holidays... the list is endless).

There are couple of principals that makes her clients achieve their goals and most of it is based around commitment and honesty. She believes in 80% diet 20% exercise and making changes in lifestyle to support clients goals. She will not entertain fad diets and works off macro's giving clients their protein, carbs and fat allowance and then support with diet and nutrition as well as the training element,

In terms of credentials she has all her qualifications but perhaps more interestingly she practices what she preaches and competes in bikini fitness competitions (one category down from body building).

We are up the road from you in Newcastle so probably a bit far to travel but she can train people remotely. PM me if you want more details.

Anyway I hope this hasn't come across as a shameful plug for my wife, the point of the post was that a PT may be able to overcome some of the issues and barriers that you have as well as having someone that you are accountable to.
ski holidays
A member of my daughter-in-law's family started working with a PT - her marriage was a mess at the time and she felt she needed a new challenge etc etc. Anyway, a new challenge was forthcoming. She and her (female) PT fell in love and are now living together. But it wasn't straightforward.
ski holidays
3 weeks in for me, and 3kg off, all going nicely to plan. Cycling plus diet. I will fit in the matching ski trousers by January!!
Diet is becoming easier, My Fitness Pal certainly helps a lot, stops me cheating when I see it in numbers of me.
snow report
DB wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:

Where I live winter temps of minus 15 Deg C are not uncommon so probably wouldn't work all year round here but in Durham .

Winter is the main season for whitewater kayaking in the UK - generally not enough rain/water the rest of the year. I think the coldest we ever paddled with the uni canoe club in Aberdeen was -13°C, and the top 30cms of the river was literally slush. I was VERY appreciative of my drysuit - pull it on over jeans and a hoodie in a car park and then off again at the end - but every splash feels like fire on your hands in those temps. Was quite funny watching the freshers in the club wetsuits - really happy to finish and get off the water, until they remembered they had to get naked in the windy car park when changing Laughing

Worth pointing out that cold is actually an excellent way to burn some extra calories too. Can start or finish a shower with a minute under cold water, or just turn the heating down a bit. Sleeping in a cold room (windows open in winter) works too (and there's no better feeling than hiding under a warm duvet with just your nose poking out in the cold air - at least until you have to get up!).
ski holidays
Thornyhill wrote:
DB wrote:
here but in Durham ......

That linky makes it seem a bit formal. As a rule you show up and say 'Can I have a go?' and you will be in a boat before you can get your shoes off. Rowers converting non rowers make religious zealots look like they aren't making much effort.

They're a good bunch up at Durham.
snow report
chrisdavis wrote:

They come over to race with us. They talk funny but you couldn't meet a nicer bunch of lads and lasses. Massively competitive at every level with every crew but once you hit the bar everyone is equal. There are a couple of clubs from a bit further south who are a bunch of snobby bastards. I would rather sink them than have a drink with them.

When you say 'up at Durham' can I assume you are a bit further south? wink
ski holidays
Thornyhill wrote:
chrisdavis wrote:

They come over to race with us. They talk funny but you couldn't meet a nicer bunch of lads and lasses. Massively competitive at every level with every crew but once you hit the bar everyone is equal. There are a couple of clubs from a bit further south who are a bunch of snobby bastards. I would rather sink them than have a drink with them.

When you say 'up at Durham' can I assume you are a bit further south? wink

I row at Bradford. Yorkshire, not on Avon wink
snow report
@clarky999, although I did a bit of kayaking in the UK as a teenager, but I'm not sure whitewater would really be my thing. I'd be terrified. Laughing Laughing . I've already got the cold bedroom. Hubby grew up in a large Victorian house with no heating above the first floor.
snow report
@DB, some good quotes there snowHead snowHead
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@clarky999, although I did a bit of kayaking in the UK as a teenager, but I'm not sure whitewater would really be my thing. I'd be terrified. Laughing Laughing . I've already got the cold bedroom. Hubby grew up in a large Victorian house with no heating above the first floor.

Ah, I was just responding to the winter/cold water bit. Kayaking sucks for fitness as if you do it properly the river does most of the work for you wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy