Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2016/2017 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon & Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
As it is less than a month away until Flaine is due to open I thought it long overdue to kick this thread off. I've not got any up to date pics to share but there are lots on other threads and more on links from those threads. I was in Flaine in the summer and it was good to see various works going on, in particular the new lift from the bottom of Molieres to Tete des Saix. I will be going to Flaine on 12 December, mainly to attend meetings with other apartment owners, but hoping to get some skiing in if conditions permit.

Wishing everyone a great season and looking forward to reading your posts.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll be in Flaine for a long weekend over the 17 December. Hope to be able to report back good news. Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well I'll be stuck to this thread for the next 12 weeks until our family trip at half term. Our first visit to the area, we'll be staying at Flaine. Can't wait! (Must wait)! Keep the reports rolling and here's hoping for the best season ever.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Will be in Samoens from 21 Dec till 1 Jan and back and forth over the winter. Hopefully more Xmas snow this year than last when the hiking boots got more action than the skis.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Samoens for half term so looking forward to it! Driving again as the last few years it's been just as easy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Going to Samoens 23 Dec to 1 Jan and hoping there will be some snow! Happy skiing everyone!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
13 Jan for me. Bit later than normal but will there for a while.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Virtual snow dance happening on this thread!
The Samoens webcam is not working but this webcam (watching the club med build) is quite a good way to anxiously and obsessively check conditions...😮
http://m.webcam-hd.com/samoens/panoramique
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We will be in Morillon for two and a half weeks from 22 December (apart from a quick trip to Italy for some racing). Hoping to make it back for Easter, whether the snow is still there or not! Have a good season everyone!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone know how the slopes are looking in Flaine at the moment.

I'm heading out there for Christmas.

Doesn't look like there's any snow forecast for at least another week, although temps are fairly low.

What's the snow making like there? I've read that only 25% of the pistes have snow cannons.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have accommodation arranged for the whole season in Les Carroz and can't wait to get out there. I will be visiting to sort out my appartment from 8th Dec so will post any information or snow pictures that I can take. I intend to get a few days skiing at Flaine while there and return again in late December for the rest of the season. Can't believe that it's going to happen!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Seahoob, good man (or woman).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Please do post. Deadline for season tickets is 10 Dec I think. If it's like last Xmas will be complete waste of money. Just looked at webcams, foehn has melted all the snow Sad fingers crossed for a big dump soon
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will be in Morillon from 19/12/16 ... Looks like I will be doing Jobs and staring wistfully at the sky, rather than skiing.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's not sounding promising...

"Despite the anticyclonic conditions installed over the last few days on the whole of the Massif Alpin, the ski area of ​​Flaine will partially open its tracks from December 10, as originally planned.

Only the signposted area of ​​the Aup de Véran offers the necessary safety conditions for skiing. Any off-road practice is formally discouraged.

Accessible ski lifts: Aup de Véran gondola lift, Meadow carpet, Michalet carpet
Trails served: Mephisto (blue), Calcite (red), Pin and Erable (green)

For the following weekend of December 17th, the opening of the Grand Massif ski area remains subject to changes in weather conditions over the next few days and will be the subject of a new press release around December 13th."

Source: http://www.flaine.com/en/winter/actualite-opening-flaine-ski-area-10-16-12-16-83.html

The forecast looks rather warm. Currently considering taking my running gear. Sad
ski holidays
Confirmed the opening lift (!) with the tourist office in Flaine today Sad , but seeing as I am very close atm, I think it would be very rude not to ski there tomorrow and report back Very Happy Stay Tuned. Very Happy
snow report
Seahoob wrote:
Confirmed the opening lift (!) with the tourist office in Flaine today Sad , but seeing as I am very close atm, I think it would be very rude not to ski there tomorrow and report back Very Happy Stay Tuned. Very Happy

please do
snow report
Spent the day at Flaine today and achieved a dream of skiing on an opening day of the season Very Happy
As reported above the only lift working was the Aup de Veran gondola which tips out at the top of the Mephisto run this was in reasonable condition and I skied it till exhausted. That is the end of the good news unfortunately, Flaine is looking very brown at the moment and the dog's barking echoing around the concrete blocks reinforced its soviet style appearance. Snowmaking in the bowl / plateau area seems to have had very limited success so I think they will not be able to open more pistes without a fall of fresh white stuff Sad
The temperature hovered around 5 deg all day, with an inversion in the valley which was hovering around zero yesterday.
I hope the snowgods are getting their act together or there will be a lot of cheesed off skiers at Christmas.
snow report
@Seahoob, is everything else closed because it is in-skiable, or because they just want to preserve what little snow there is?

I've been on the Flaine facebook page today, and they've put up a few photos - carefully selected ofcoarse, to make it look like everything is fine. Trouble is that everyone else who has been there today has added their own photos (in the comments section), to give a more accurate idea of the current situation. In many of these photos, there are totally green/brown pistes.

Temperatures should get a little cooler this week (not much), so hopefully they can put the snow cannons to work. Do you know how extensive the snow making is? - is it just on the lower pistes?

Also, any idea on how things are looking above 2000m? Presumably there are no snow cannons above that height?
snow report
@mikeycharlton, Snowmaking is on the lower slopes only, at some points there are reasonable mounds of artificial snow sitting on green and brown slopes looking isolated and sad. Will check the facebook page later.
snow report
@Seahoob, any idea how the upper slopes are looking? I know they've only opened one lift so far, but is that because everywhere else is un-skiable?

How long are you out there for?
snow report
@mikeycharlton, The upper slopes are patchy but I am not familiar with Flaine so I could not really work out the route of the upper pistes, Generaly it did not look good to me. Back home on Weds but returning at Christmas for a really long spell Toofy Grin
snow report
We will be taking the hiking boots and some good books again this year. Of course, if we don't go, it will bucket down with snow.
latest report
The snow never really comes until a few days before Christmas... chill wink
latest report
whoops;

Communiqué de Grand Massif Domaines Skiables
Le 13/12/2016
Cher client,
A lack of precipitation and of sufficiently cold conditions have seriously impacted the opening of the Grand Massif resort. Weather forecasts for coming days are not predicting improved conditions.
In spite of our team's best efforts, Morillon, Samoëns and Sixt will not be able to open to skiers for the week of December 17th to 23rd.
The Samoëns and Morillon gondolas will be open to pedestrians every day from Sunday 18/12 onwards, from 10AM to 4PM. Skis, toboggans, bikes and all other forms of sports equipment will not be permitten in the gondolas for safety reasons.
The Platé and Aup de Véran sectors of Flaine will be open. Snow conditions are good above 2000m but only restricted pistes will be open to provide return access to Flaine village. Below is a list of lifts and pistes that will be open in Flaine
snow report
Not a surprise when you look at the webcams and the forecast. Bigger question is will they be able to open the following week?
ski holidays
Well the good news is that there will be quite a bit more open next week compared to this week in Flaine.
latest report
Nn@mikeycharlton, agreed.

I'll be there for the weekend. Anyone else?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
UkuleleDave wrote:
Nn@mikeycharlton, agreed.

I'll be there for the weekend. Anyone else?

I get there on the 24th.
latest report

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 14-12-16 15:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I've just come back from a walk down to the bottom of the DMC and it's all looking rather sad. The piste bashers were working around the bottom of the Desert Blanc chair last night, I assume trying to get enough snow onto the pistes to open them this weekend. 2 large lorries passed me full of snow, appeared to be heading for the bottom of Grands Vans. I would guess that the snow will be taken higher so that the pistes back to Flaine have better cover. The cover above the bottom of Desert Bland/top of Tetes de Verts looks OK but it's impossible to judge the depth of it from down here. This time last year was about the same.

C'est la vie!
snow report
Forgot to mention, no snow cannons working in Flaine but when I drove past Molliets this morning they were puffing away in full force.
snow report
Just got on the tunnel . Running gear and bikes will be getting some use this week !!
snow report
Arrived last night at 1am, so not the earliest start this morning. As expected only the run down from Aup de Veran open today, but it's well covered, a few pebbles here and there, but seen worse in high season in other resorts. €20 for today's lift pass, so not all bad.

Looking forward to tomorrow when they'll be opening a bit more, as reported above. They're working hard, harvesting from some pistes and the end of the run joining on from what will open tomorrow to get back to resort looks well covered. Seen a few pisteurs and security coming in from that direction.
snow report
@UkuleleDave, are the snow cannons on?
ski holidays
Good to hear . We also arrived yesterday but haven't ventured up . After your post will give flaine a go tomorrow..
snow conditions
@mikeycharlton, they were on as we came up last night, but not this morning.
ski holidays
Snow cannons are on this morning, so proper chilly I guess. Nice to have more opening today, though for the last hour I skied yesterday I pretty much had place to myself. Smile Bon ski à tous et à toutes.
latest report
Skied Serpentine and Cristal so far this morning. Both pretty firm underfoot; they could do with a bit of sunshine to soften them up a bit. On the whole though, coverage is good. The shape of the terrain underneath is more apparent than it would otherwise be, but it's making for nice skiing. There's hardly anyone around again. A few schools are out and about, but that's about it. It's really rather nice. Smile
ski holidays
End of a good days skiing, given the limited piste opening.

FWIW, if you're staying up in the Foret bit of Flaine, whilst the bissac nursery slope isn't open, the bissac magic carpet *is*. This takes you up to meet epicea which runs down to the front de neige, saving a bit of walking.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy