Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 footbeds in one boot

Poster: A snowHead
Had my boots fitted at Nevada Sports in Tignes. They've always felt a tiny bit big. Last year I added a pair of cycling shoe cheap insoles under the custom footbeds and this helped a lot. Today I was searching through the garage for the leafblower, when I came across an old pair of Salomons from about 15 years ago, only skied 2 weeks on them cos they were horrid fit ( S &R ) but they did have a lovely pair of Sidas custom insoles. Swapped these for the cycling shoe ones, so now have 2 custom footbeds in each boot. Feel lovely and snug now, and strangely seem to offer more arch support. Shall find out more on next week's trip to Cas. A simple way to decrease the volume of the inners maybe a quarter to half size?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@endoman, but you'll have are supports on top of arch supports. I have low volume feet and find cork floor tiles make great volume reducers for ski boots.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Won't it just move the same level of support a couple of mm's higher up the boot? If I stacked 15 identical supports on top of each other the arch will still get the same support won't it? Just thinking out loud here
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try a third pair.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@endoman,
Crikey, I have just entered a parallel skiing universe! Who needs CEM?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
anyone wanna buy a shop in bicester rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
endoman wrote:
Had my boots fitted at Nevada Sports in Tignes. They've always felt a tiny bit big.

You don't say... rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@endoman, I think everyone is trying to suggest you turn that frown upside down and start again with correctly sized boots. Chuck the two pairs you have on Ebay and put it down to experience.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yep, I shall certainly be using CEM for the next set of boots.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Took them to cas today. 2 runs and the extra insole was removed , you'll not be surprised to know. Back to the original config with buckles done up one more. Feels a bit roomy but no discomfort. New boots for next year, mrs endo would be the former mrs endo if I got some this year!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kelskii wrote:
......I have low volume feet and find cork floor tiles make great volume reducers for ski boots.

This is the type of solution for the short term until you get new boots, ie either a flat shim underneath your existing footbed inside the liner or a flat firm rubber'ish shim on top of the boot board below the liner.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon wrote:
Kelskii wrote:
......I have low volume feet and find cork floor tiles make great volume reducers for ski boots.

This is the type of solution for the short term until you get new boots, ie either a flat shim underneath your existing footbed inside the liner or a flat firm rubber'ish shim on top of the boot board below the liner.

Cool, my cycling insoles are pretty flat and thin, I'll cut the arches out and see if they will work as a shim, they did ok last year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@endoman, I found that the only problem with using insoles as volume reducers is that they're too compressible and not firm enough. This can affect feel/proprioception when skiing. You can buy sheets of firm proprietary volume reducing foam material online to create the shims that Jon mentions above but I prefer to use cork as it's easier to grind if this is required. You may find that you need to feather/taper the toe end of a shim to prevent pinching of toes. In my current Scarpa touring boots I use a bit of cork just under the forefoot to create a flatter platform for my foot, removing the Scarpa 'bump'. These boots don't have a boot board.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wouldnt the insoels slide agaisnt each other and then cause other problems? Would it be best to just buy insoles that are higher in the arch support?
latest report
Well I managed 8 days skiing with my cut down to flat cycling insole as a volume reducer. Never had to unclip all day, and zero discomfort / numbness. Still will get new boots for next year though as if all goes to plan I should manage quite a bit more skiing.
snow report
Update on this. I went to S4Feet last week for boot fitting. Confirmed that my previous boots were a full mondo point size too big. Now have some lovely shiny new boots in a low volume model, so I know a bit more about my foot shape etc. Shall hopefully get to a fridge soon as mrs endo starts to take some lessons.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy