Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shaped skis

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks,

I went skiing in May in Banff and it was the first time that I'd used "shaped skis" rather than good old straight ones and I found them to be amazing!
I am 6 ft 3, 15.10 stone, intermediate piste skier (on a good day....) and for as long as I can remember I have always skied on 175 skis.

When I hired them, they were 170 and my mate usually uses 170's as well but he has downsized to 155/160's and he says it makes him a much better skier even though he is already an accomplished ski and snowboard instructor.

So my fairly broad question is, if you ski on shaped skis, have you downsized and have you found it better, worse or no difference? Will only be used for piste skiing here in the States.

Thanks in advance,
Den
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Denni, How often do you ski? I only ask as "shaped" skis have been around since the late '90s - and I was on 175s when I was a kid in school all of maybe 160cms and 55kgs...

Broad answer is modern skis are shorter than old skool. And perform significantly more efficiently.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, the first skis I owned were 180s! Shocked Laughing (For those who don't know me, I am short of stature.)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Denni, I am 6'4" and used to be 13 and a half stone (probably pushing 14 now). Skinnies I used to have were 2 metres give or take. Nowadays with "shaped" ski's it's around 185.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
With old school skis, I used either 195 or 2m skis....I'm 5'10" and 64kg.

I now have some 157 SL, 170 Piste ski and 180 All Mountain ski.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I learned on straight skis 200 moving to 215s

I am 6' 3" and chunky.

Now as wrinkly I ski on early shaped Atomics 195s I tried the current generation 180/176 and just never felt as confident especially at speed. I enjoy hooning down motorway blues doing the GS bit when I find an empty piste.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@TQA, in eg 1988, 215s even then would have been somewhat tricky to find. I owned a pair but they were intended for SG/DH...

Few people week a year skiers would have gone beyond 190.

Going back much further of course, things were even longer.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bought my first skis in 1988 I think, K2 TRC at 195's, Andy Lockerbie tried to sell me his Dynastar course GS in about a 205 but I wasn't that daft! Next I got some Salomon force 9 3s I think in a 198. I'm 5 foot 9!!

Now on some 180 Scott the ski, and have some 170 Salomon something or other for in the fridges.

Times have changed. Loved the K2's though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
endoman wrote:
Bought my first skis in 1988 I think, K2 TRC at 195's, Andy Lockerbie tried to sell me his Dynastar course GS in about a 205 but I wasn't that daft! Next I got some Salomon force 9 3s I think in a 198. I'm 5 foot 9!!

Now on some 180 Scott the ski, and have some 170 Salomon something or other for in the fridges.

Times have changed. Loved the K2's though.

My ski history is not that different....though I bought my first skis a few years earlier.

I looked at the K2 5500 in a 195, but they were too expensive, so ended up with the Volkl Renntiger.

My F9 3s were PR8 IIRC 201 (they were the only pair left in the UK).....a friend picked them up from S&R in London and brought them over to NI when coming for a visit. They were not too stiff, so very manageable.

I also have Scott The Ski in a 180....again, at 64kg, I can only go that long, as they are not a stiff ski.

My rock hoppers are the original Salomon X Scream Series 179
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My current skis top out at 201 (Völkl SG) ... I think 218 is the longest I've skied, at 5' 6" , 62kgs ...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
My current skis top out at 201 (Völkl SG) ... I think 218 is the longest I've skied, at 5' 6" , 62kgs ...

....but you're a bloody Lunatic. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@TQA, in eg 1988, 215s even then would have been somewhat tricky to find. I owned a pair but they were intended for SG/DH...

Few people week a year skiers would have gone beyond 190.

Going back much further of course, things were even longer.

They were race quality Authier skis and I paid 10 quid a pair for three pairs at an Easter closing down sale in Verbier. 1982 They suited me down to the ground as they ran as if on rails at speed. Crap in moguls though. Good for your technique.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@TQA, nice, almost certainly I think early SG race skis - or maybe junior DH.

I'm sure they railed!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Crap in moguls though

@TQA,

the only thing crap in moguls is the skier...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

Crap in moguls though

@TQA,

the only thing crap in moguls is the skier...

Is OK my BASI instructor described my skiing as proof that a sack of poo-poo can ski.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
@under a new name, the first skis I owned were 180s! Shocked Laughing (For those who don't know me, I am short of stature.)

There's the new measure for newbies Twisted Evil Start on skis that are twice your height . . . I'd give my right nut to see Hurtle stomping around on 180 planks Laughing
ski holidays
TQA wrote:

Is OK my BASI instructor described my skiing as proof that a sack of poo-poo can ski.

That's totally fine then. Non?
snow report
Masque wrote:
I'd give my right nut to see Hurtle stomping around on 180 planks Laughing

You still have it? Shocked wink
latest report
horizon wrote:
Masque wrote:
I'd give my right nut to see Hurtle stomping around on 180 planks Laughing

You still have it? Shocked wink
Haha. If he is to be believed, I deprived him of one of them by skiing into him a few years ago! Arguably he therefore owes me a few insults
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy