Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going beyond the basics...ideas for teens

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be in La Rosiere next February with my 13 year old daughter, and friends who have a son the same age. Both kids passed ESF gold star last winter, so they are decent skiers but still with plenty to learn. We'd like them to continue with lessons, and they enjoy skiing together and with other kids, so we're looking for options that maximise fun and improve their all-mountain skiing. Neither is interested in racing, and they (particularly the boy) enjoy a lap or two through the park but don't want to be there all day.
ESF have been fine for us so far, but the option beyond gold star looks to be race-focused, which I'm sure is good for technique but not really what either of them wants. I'm also a little concerned that they may be the only english kids in a race group (we are going the week of 17 Feb). I know there's an Evo2 in La Ros, but we've no experience of Evo2 and their website is very short on actual information.

So I'm looking for suggestions - a few private sessions with an instructor perhaps (recommendations please) or something else - info on advanced group lessons, that sort of thing.
Thanks Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
See if any ski school does Freeride club or something similar?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mgrolf, Evo2 have teenage freeride groups per their French website.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The race groups in our local ESF (Argentiere), aren't particularly race-obsessed. In 6 days ours will typically do one or two half days on gates (which, although might not initially appeal, basically means a dedicated piste where you can go as fast as possible if its GS or SG, so can be a lot of fun particularly with other kids involved). There's also a half day of actual races. The remaining 4.5 days are spent skiing everything on the mountain at a relatively high level - powder, bumps, steeps, etc. and usually trying to get very early or late runs in so they can ski flat out on empty pistes. They even did biathlon with laser rifles last year. In short, if you haven't spoken to the ski school already, its worth checking what ESF La Ros actually does with its race classes; ours are little different to a freeride class.

Nationality-wise, our race classes are very international, but that also fits mix of clientele in the resort. The good local kids are in the ski club, not ESF.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mgrolf why can't you and the other parents just ski with them? Why do you want them to continue with lessons? What do you want them to learn that they haven't already (especially given they aren't going to race)?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Layne, gold star isn't particularly advanced is it?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, thanks, I'd not found the right bit of the Evo2 website. And I agree that gold star isn't really that advanced, I'd say it's competent but with so much more to learn.
@Layne, I like to delude myself and think I'm still better than my daughter. What I definitely am, is good enough to know I can't teach her, either technically or about mountain safety. I'm acutely aware that I am by no means an expert skiier. I'm still learning myself, and I want her to learn too, so we can continue to develop our skiing and ski together as she gets older, doing stuff that we both enjoy (and this is a shared view, not just me as a parent pushing her). Also, she does stuff in lessons that I can't (or won't) do - last time I followed her and an instructor through some trees, I nearly went headfirst into one - and she loves this kind of stuff. The same goes for the other family (and one of them is a boarder Shocked).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name wrote:
@Layne, gold star isn't particularly advanced is it?

I had no idea before you asked though given it's the top level I assumed it was fairly advanced. Googling a bit I read on La Tania ESF:

Quote:
MY GOALS:

Discover skiing in all forms.
To be able to ski without stopping on long and steep slopes, on all types of snow whilst respecting the rules of the line of skiers.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd recommend evo 2 freeride daughter did it a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Remember to hire skis suitable though one boy turned up on race skis and had a rubbish week.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, yeah, not super advanced at all.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Probably more advanced than most adults on skis I see in resort. Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@francium., titter! - probably
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mgrolf wrote:
@Layne, I like to delude myself and think I'm still better than my daughter. What I definitely am, is good enough to know I can't teach her, either technically or about mountain safety. I'm acutely aware that I am by no means an expert skiier. I'm still learning myself, and I want her to learn too, so we can continue to develop our skiing and ski together as she gets older, doing stuff that we both enjoy (and this is a shared view, not just me as a parent pushing her). Also, she does stuff in lessons that I can't (or won't) do - last time I followed her and an instructor through some trees, I nearly went headfirst into one - and she loves this kind of stuff. The same goes for the other family (and one of them is a boarder Shocked).

Always difficult parents discussing with others how to manage their children. I was just coming at it from a different angle as you may not have considered that option or made assumptions. I'm not here to have a dig at your choices - merely to open up the choices.

Our children took swimming lessons but neither wanted to do it competitively so it got to a point where they could do all the strokes, dive in, swim underwater, etc. competently and with confidence - and we ran out of grades. So that was it. Now we just swim at the pool, lake, sea and they can do as they wish. They are better swimmers than me so quite often I will be just supervising, reigning them in or simply admiring the little bug gers ability.

Of course, we don't do everything with them and there are occasions when it makes sense for them to join a group practice, course, whatever. But it's fun to do what you can and I think children love doing stuff with their parents. Food for thought... or not... depending Cool snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@Layne, yeah, not super advanced at all.

Not sure what you are getting at to be honest Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:

Always difficult parents discussing with others how to manage their children. I was just coming at it from a different angle as you may not have considered that option or made assumptions. I'm not here to have a dig at your choices - merely to open up the choices.

Food for thought... or not... depending Cool snowHead

Agreed, and taken in the way you intended even if my response didn't come out that way...I was trying to clarify assumptions and avoid descending into the usual family vs childcare debate.

The Evo2 freeride course looks like a good option as it has a mix of mornings, a full day and a day off.
ski holidays
@francium., Laughing
And thanks for the recommendation about Evo2 freeride. It's always good to hear personal experience.
ski holidays
@Layne, Puzzled I thought (!) I was agreeing with you, agreeing with me that gold star isn't terrinly advanced and that there would be much potential for more learning.
snow conditions
mgrolf wrote:
Layne wrote:

Food for thought... or not... depending Cool snowHead

Agreed, and taken in the way you intended even if my response didn't come out that way...I was trying to clarify assumptions and avoid descending into the usual family vs childcare debate.

The Evo2 freeride course looks like a good option as it has a mix of mornings, a full day and a day off.

It does look a good course I have to say. I quite fancy it myself!
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Layne, Puzzled I thought (!) I was agreeing with you, agreeing with me that gold star isn't terrinly advanced and that there would be much potential for more learning.

Ah, right. My radar is a bit off today Embarassed

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 25-08-17 21:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@Layne, no worries Happy snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy