Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chillfactore

Poster: A snowHead
Just putting this out there. How many snowheads regularly visit the Chillfactore in Manchester? When I go, it's with my daughter; but she isn't always free when I'd like to go. It's not so much fun on your billy. So I was wondering how many others go and wouldn't mind some company occasionally. Bearing in mind, I am a beginner.

I am going to the Oktobertest, but that's not until towards the end of October and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms. Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm in Liverpool, I would be up for going now and then... I like weekday daytimes (outside school hols) but I don't know if that's plausible for you.

I don't frequent it by any means though... 2 hours is enough to get pretty bored
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dp, I'm down to working three days a week now (through choice), so can make Mondays and Fridays. I'd be up for going. So far I have only had two six hour lessons there, then I tore a muscle in my calf; so haven't been for a month. As I'm still very much a beginner and it's all new, I don't get bored. I'd probably go for four hours. But fully understand an experienced skier getting bored with it. I want (need) to get as much time in as I can afford before the MyashBash in January.

I'll pm you when I'm going next, if that's Ok? Feeel free to do like wise. Cheers.

But bear in mind I ride Rossi Experience 80 HDs. Are you sure you want be seen with someone riding cardboard noodles. Very Happy wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 22-08-17 22:10; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Awdbugga, it might be a good idea to book yourself onto a lesson for your return to skis. With only 12 hours under your belt and then an injury followed by a month off there will undoubtably be things you have forgotten - and the last thing you want is to get hurt again. I don't know what CF offer, but theres probably some kind of skills development group or similar you could join - or maybe splash out for a private. An hour or two of tuition to make sure you're on the right track before you start practicing could make all the difference. They say that practice makes perfect - but really practice makes permanent, bad practice ingrains bad habits that then take months (or years!) to get out of. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
As someone that has spent a lot of time practicing in a fridge over the last couple of years (and rarely gets bored @dp!) I find that I need a lesson or clinic of some kind at least once a month to give me new focus and new drills, and to pick up any new bad habits Embarassed. When practicing I tend to pick a drill or skill and focus on it for 20 minutes, then do 10 minutes skiing to consolidate what I just worked on. It's worked quite well for me.

P.S. You'll probably find that CF will get much busier as Winter approaches, so time on the slope now is well invested.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh and if you haven't already then it could be worth watching the Darren Turner (Elate Media) videos on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/user/elatemedia/videos

I found them really useful, even watching the ones that are far more advanced than I am.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Tubaski, I intend to take more lessons. My next outing though is just going to be testing if my calf is OK and get my new boots heat moulded at S&R. If my leg is OK, I will probably sign up to the 6 hour improver course again. Then hopefully move on to the next course soon after. Good advice about picking a drill and focussing on that. I'm naturally impatient though and tend to want to run before I can walk. I need to accept that it's best to master the basics well before trying to hurl myself from the top of the slope. The problem is, I like going fast; but that's no good if it's not controlled and I can't stop when I want to. As the master says - "Patience Grasshopper" (only people over a certain age will know what I'm on about)

@SnoodlesMcFlude I watch those videos nearly every evening on my Ipad, whilst my Mrs is watching soaps on TV (and your videos of the bashes). The Elate Media videos are very helpful. I've looked at loads of tuitional videos. By watching them, I've managed to identify what I was doing wrong when I fell and tore my calf muscle and why I was struggling to control my speed. I'm surprised the instructor didn't pick up on what I was doing wrong. Never mind.

Onwards and downwards Very Happy

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 22-08-17 22:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Awdbugga, so you have watched @SnoodlesMcFlude on video on the bashes. Would that be the sweeping up video while dancing. Sorry M8, couldn't resist. Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@GlasgowCyclops No, I must have missed that one. I'll check it out tonight. Or isn't it suitable for people of a nervous disposition? wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Awdbugga wrote:
@dp, I'm down to working three days a week now (through choice), so can make Mondays and Fridays. I'd be up for going. So far I have only had two six hour lessons there, then I tore a muscle in my calf; so haven't been for a month. As I'm still very much a beginner and it's all new, I don't get bored. I'd probably go for four hours. But fully understand an experienced skier getting bored with it. I want (need) to get as much time in as I can afford before the MyashBash in January.

Happy to ski with you that's no problem. Won't be around until possibly mid-September now. I work in a theatre so lots of weekends at work with weekdays free... but weekday daytimes in CF is when it's quietest with the smallest queues, so ideal. I have a feeling it's also cheaper.

Quote:

But bear in mind I ride Rossi Experience 80 HDs. Are you sure you want be seen with someone riding cardboard noodles. Very Happy wink

I personally do think that Rossi Experience are about as close to skiing a wet flannel as you can get. But I don't have any skis up north so I'll be on the CF skis which seem to get tuned so infrequently that they have the turning circle of the ark royal and the speed to match it.

Tubaski wrote:
@Awdbugga, it might be a good idea to book yourself onto a lesson for your return to skis. With only 12 hours under your belt and then an injury followed by a month off there will undoubtably be things you have forgotten - and the last thing you want is to get hurt again. I don't know what CF offer, but theres probably some kind of skills development group or similar you could join - or maybe splash out for a private. An hour or two of tuition to make sure you're on the right track before you start practicing could make all the difference. They say that practice makes perfect - but really practice makes permanent, bad practice ingrains bad habits that then take months (or years!) to get out of. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Completely agree, not just because time out is likely to lead to a skills lapse but also because however you did the injury in the first place could be down to dodge technique too so it's important to get that ironed out if it is the case. Personally I'd be in the camp of an hour's lesson with a group and then an hour privately with an instructor. The group lesson should get you back on your feet and working again, but the private lesson will be an opportunity for the instructor to really focus on you and spot your weaknesses with time to sort them out.

Quote:
As someone that has spent a lot of time practicing in a fridge over the last couple of years (and rarely gets bored @dp!) I find that I need a lesson or clinic of some kind at least once a month to give me new focus and new drills, and to pick up any new bad habits Embarassed. When practicing I tend to pick a drill or skill and focus on it for 20 minutes, then do 10 minutes skiing to consolidate what I just worked on. It's worked quite well for me.

I think the key to not getting bored is to do what you say (it's what I do too) and just use a session to focus on a particular skill. Up and down and up and down and just keep doing it until you can do 3 perfect runs without stuffing the technique even once. Then you've conquered it.

I think the reason I get bored is probably more because I spent 3 years doing skiDubai every week which is 3.5x as long as Chill FactorE!

Awdbugga wrote:
The problem is, I like going fast; but that's no good if it's not controlled and I can't stop when I want to. As the master says - "Patience Grasshopper" (only people over a certain age will know what I'm on about)

It's not just patience per se. You have to realise, as soon as possible, that going fast is the easiest thing in skiing. You're a heavy object, on low friction skis, being pulled down a hill by gravity. Fast takes no skill at all. I was the same when I was new - I loved pelting it down. Naively failing to realise that there was no skill in going fast. There's more skill in going slow than going fast, because you're opposing physics. So fast is only skilful, if you're controlling your speed and direction, and going fast.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Awdbugga, just another thought. I typically go to Hemel on my own once or twice a week and I have already got to chat to loads of other regulars there just from lifts and queuing. So even if you do go down on your own I suspect you'll soon meet people.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@dp, thanks for the advice. I was joking about the Rossi's. My choice, like a lot of things in life was influenced by price. I wanted lightweight skis that weren't too narrow at the waist and got reasonable reviews. I opted for them because I managed to pick them up from Snowleader.co.uk (based in France!) for £219 with free delivery to the uk. I'm sure they will meet my needs for the next couple of years. I'm not very heavy, varying between 10.5 and 11 stone, so don't need really stiff skis. Plus I'll be sticking mainly to the groomed areas for the foreseeable future. If they put a smile on my face, I'll be happy.

I'll look into a one to one lesson; but they are £70 for 50 minutes. They should be £100, but I get 30% discount for having annual membership. Whereas I can get a six hour improver lesson for £66. There were only three people on my last course and that dropped to two in the afternoon, as one guy bailed out at lunchtime. So it was almost one to one. I will make enquiries though.

I'm free Fridays and Mondays, as I only work three days a week now (through choice). On the run down to retirement.

Thanks again for your advice. Much appreciated.

Let me know when you decide to visit the CF next. Cheers.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Awdbugga wrote:
@dp, thanks for the advice. I was joking about the Rossi's. My choice, like a lot of things in life was influenced by price. I wanted lightweight skis that weren't too narrow at the waist and got reasonable reviews. I opted for them because I managed to pick them up from Snowleader.co.uk (based in France!) for £219 with free delivery to the uk. I'm sure they will meet my needs for the next couple of years. I'm not very heavy, varying between 10.5 and 11 stone, so don't need really stiff skis. Plus I'll be sticking mainly to the groomed areas for the foreseeable future. If they put a smile on my face, I'll be happy.

Sadly it's the wrong forum to convince people that you got a good deal on skis because they were cheap! Most people here are really of the mindset that the best value ski is the right ski for you. If you can get it cheap then it's a bonus, nothing more. Sorry snowHead

Like I said in any case they can't perform any worse than the shop skis there.

Quote:

I'll look into a one to one lesson; but they are £70 for 50 minutes. They should be £100, but I get 30% discount for having annual membership. Whereas I can get a six hour improver lesson for £66. There were only three people on my last course and that dropped to two in the afternoon, as one guy bailed out at lunchtime. So it was almost one to one. I will make enquiries though.

Yeah I mean that can often happen. With the individual lesson it's more that the time is all yours. The instructor doesn't need to deliver what they were meant to, as there's nobody else. If they need to 'hold doors' and stick to a more basic subject for longer than they normally would, it's cool; and likewise if you're improving faster than expected then they can advance you faster than normal. It's up to you. 1:1 is expensive but the time you're paying for is ultimately all yours.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Awdbugga wrote:
Just putting this out there. How many snowheads regularly visit the Chillfactore in Manchester? When I go, it's with my daughter; but she isn't always free when I'd like to go. It's not so much fun on your billy. So I was wondering how many others go and wouldn't mind some company occasionally. Bearing in mind, I am a beginner.

I am going to the Oktobertest, but that's not until towards the end of October and I'm getting withdrawal symptoms. Sad

I am there pretty regularly. I have an August liftpass - I'll be there for a lesson tonight and tomorrow from 7-9pm and I'll be going at the weekend. Lookout for a ginger in his 30s with yellow trousers and a green jacket on green & black skis! Alternatively send me a PM to swap contact details and arrange a time to meetup. I'm always on the lookout for ski buddies!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@MancSkier, that's great. I didn't bother with an August pass, because of my torn calf muscle; but will probably get the September one. Can't make tonight or tomorrow. Not sure about the weekend; will have to check her indoors. Is it quiet in there in the evenings? Have only been during the day.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Tubaski,
Quote:

practice makes permanent, bad practice ingrains bad habits that then take months (or years!) to get out of. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
That's why I never practise on my own at Hemel. I make enough mistakes under the eagle eyes of skimottaret and rob@rar, imagine the number I'd make if I were on my own. Embarassed
ski holidays
@Awdbugga, Ski club of Manchester run a morning and evening club session each month, very cheap to join and you get a discount code for Chill. They're a friendly bunch, normally a coffee/beer afterward. During the winter Chill supply a coach for the session too.

Check out https://www.scom.org.uk/
latest report
@RoboJ, Thanks for that. I'll certainly take a look.
snow report
 fizzer
fizzer
@MancSkier, Hi Anthony really good session with Kevin last night

@Awdbugga, I'm there most Tuesdays my daughter does the kids race academy so I'm doing drills for a couple of hours too.
latest report
Has anyone been recently? Just booked a BASI CPD for 10th Dec so best go and ski at least once beforehand Smile

How's the snow, wondering about hire skis vs bringing my own....
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
Has anyone been recently? Just booked a BASI CPD for 10th Dec so best go and ski at least once beforehand Smile

How's the snow, wondering about hire skis vs bringing my own....

They replaced all their skis, with new Head ones about a month ago, so the edges aren't too bad. Also replaced their helmets. I was their last Thursday and Friday. The snow was lumpy in the afternoon, in particular down the sides, but I think that adds to the enjoyment. There was also a large icy patch near the bottom on the right (looking down), but again this adds to variety and fun. AM would obviously be the best time to go for the snow conditions. It's getting pretty busy there now though. Loads of learner classes there last week.
ski holidays
Was there for the breakfast club Wednesday morning 7.30-9.30. Two hours plus a bacon butty & tea for 15 quid. Snow was in excellent condition. Took my own skis, but my granddaughters Head skis (included), seemed pretty good. If you can get there at that time it really is very good and not too busy. No lines for the drag lifts.
snow report
just back from a full day there on the CPD course, snow generally good, nice enough for decent longs in the morning, chopped up with lumps, bumps and icy patches late afternoon (as expected!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy