Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much rain is too much for skiing?

Poster: A snowHead
I planned a ski trip with teenage sons to upper NY area this weekend and it seems there will be 0.7 inch of rain throughout the day. Is it going to be alright or should I wait out for the next day?

I've never gone skiing in the rain so any inputs will be appreciated!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
That sounds a bit grim.... I would wait if you've got the choice.

Skiing itself is no problem in the rain, but you tend to get soaked and cold which isn't so great
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@krutakee, hi and welcome snowHead

It depends how much you want to ski and also the altitude of the rain (which you may not know until you get up the hill). It may be that it is only raining lower down, so when you get higher it is snow. If that’s the case, stay high and enjoy the fresh tracks on what are likely to be fairly empty pistes (no one goes out in the rain...). Or it could be a soggy day all the way up.

Wet snow or rain, I recommend waterproof ski wear and lots of spares – spare gloves, spare buff and use dry bags for anything else you need to keep dry (camera, wallet, phone etc). You will get wet, but it doesn’t have to be miserable and you can always stop for a coffee.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@krutakee, which forecast? My favourite all round forecast meteoblue is suggesting snow, not rain.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@red 27 & @Scarlet,

Thanks for your inputs. My sons insist they want to go regardless of rainy weather. I was against it but as you mentioned there will be literally nobody out there.. so that's tempting. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name,

I was looking at this:
https://darksky.net/details/42.1428,-74.5196/2017-12-23/us12/en
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Everyone should ski in the rain at least once.

Makes a great war story.

Deserted trails, empty restos, pointing skis downhill but not going anywhere, taming the offpiste concrete, nearly died of hypothermia but battled on through the pain barrier, etc. etc.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@krutakee, I know it is on the opposite coast, but skiing in the rain is common in Whistler. You can have very heavy rain at village level, which changes to sleet and then snow as you gain altitude.

I would say that the existing piste conditions and the temperature are more important. Rain on top of ice / man made snow would be no fun, unless you are race training Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's a long time since I skied in the rain, as I now go in January...but I can remember getting soaked....and the snow was heavy and dangerous, from a leg break pov. Those were back in the days of skinny skis.

So...my advice would be to use wide Freeride skis (hire if necessary), which will make the skiing much easier....and bring some spare kit, like Gloves, which can be changed into.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PowderAdict wrote:
@krutakee, I know it is on the opposite coast, but skiing in the rain is common in Whistler. You can have very heavy rain at village level, which changes to sleet and then snow as you gain altitude.

I would say that the existing piste conditions and the temperature are more important. Rain on top of ice / man made snow would be no fun, unless you are race training Very Happy

I'd say the opposite. Rain on top of bashed man made snow/ice can produce beautiful conditions akin to corn snow. A solid base with an inch or so of soft snow on top.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 22-12-17 16:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowheads68 wrote:
PowderAdict wrote:

I'd say the opposite. Rain on top of man bashed made snow/ice can produce beautiful conditions akin to corn snow. A solid base with an inch or so of soft snow on top.

Agreed. I remember an icy Avoriaz being transformed by a day of rain, and a great day's skiing was had by all. Not something you want to wish for though Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Any.................
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is nothing more depressing in a ski resort than being on a chairlift in the rain Evil or Very Mad
Even if you know it's snowing higher up, it's just a damp, miserable place to be.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TheGingerPrince wrote:
There is nothing more depressing in a ski resort than being on a chairlift in the rain Evil or Very Mad
Even if you know it's snowing higher up, it's just a damp, miserable place to be.

rule 5 applies here I think...

Top 3 resorts for rain lovers:
1. Les Gets
2. Villars
3. Glenshee

I had a cracking day in Villars a few years ago in minging rain all day. Soaked in the morning and a bit forlorn, but then a huge long boozy lunch sparked us all up for making the most of the afternoon in the 'spring snow' conditions
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rain is challenging for seeing out your goggles, even more so if it freezes. I've only skied in places where rain freezes and makes the snow rock hard (Sweden). Not much fun. But I'll still ski in the rain, than not ski.
latest report
Rain on top of soft snow can also make the going very sticky. Had that experience at Glenshee once (@red 27, you are right!), and it was hard to get any speed up at all even on the steeper parts of the blue runs. Then there were the parts which weren't sticky where your skis suddenly accelerate, launching you backwards, before hitting the next sticky bit where you lurch forwards again...

We've been fairly unlucky in that we've had rain at times in all four of our previous weeks in the Alps (Soll, Alpe d'Huez, Les Carroz, Belle Plagne), though not for days on end. The snow underneath was OK, but it just makes you wet. A lot of ski gear is good for keeping out cold and snow, but not so good for keeping out water.
ski holidays
As above there is only masochistic pleasure Twisted Evil to be had skiing in the rain.
You will go. Of course you will. But do not wear down Jackets- think of skiing in a wet sleeping bag. Hard to make an @whitegold war story out of that misery.
snow report
Skiing in the rain is like being Scottish.

http://youtube.com/v/f1CB-D1TtXc
ski holidays
My forecast https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/week/hunter-mountain_united-states-of-america_5121621 is still for snow...
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Everyone should ski in the rain at least once.

I was soaked to the skin on my first ever ski day in Glenshee 55 years ago. Didn't stop me having a few more days skiing Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:
There is nothing more depressing in a ski resort than being on a chairlift in the rain
 Here's a contender: Being in Tignes early last November on a powder day - with everything that was scheduled to be open (ie glacier and run back down to resort) storm bound...

We did get some fresh tracks in though - by hiking up the golf driving range area and lapping the powder - so (in the end!) maybe not as depressing as a chairlift in the rain...
snow report
@Thornyhill, rofl, I saw that movie in Aviemore when we went for a ski break, I laughed out loud at that scene, and then remembered Shocked I wasn't in Ireland anymore...
latest report
To answer the original question - any! Went to Killington (Vermont) years ago prepared for freezing temperatures and boilerplate and got warm weather and eventually rain. They were issuing plastic ponchos but after one run went shopping! Then got stuck on a chair lift in La Plagne with my daughter with horizontal sleet/rain. She was on the lee side so had the better of it. To make it worse the lifties couldn't stop laughing at the top at the state of us when they eventually got the lift going.
ski holidays
I’ve boarded in the rain the hinterglem and chamonix. It’s really grim.
Coming out of a tent bar in hinterglem in the pishing rain, I bent over to do my bindings up and was amazed at the water pouring off me into my glove.. untill I realised a
I had an open bottle of water in the side pouch of my ruck sack.

Anyway. Did I mention. It’s grim.
latest report
I've already said it but it's worth repeating.................. ANY

I have the dubious experience of Cairngorm, Glenshee, Edinburgh (dry slope), Italy at 2000 metres but at a late easter and sadly 3 Valleys 2015 at 2300 metres in early March. Steamboat Springs in 1989 (early easter) and North York Moors when young and stupid.
Again, how much rain is too much to ski? any.....................

Mountain bike, trials bike, walk etc in the rain? OK, not brill but liveable. Ski? NO- duvet day.......

Having said (ranted) all of that I have been very lucky with few fully rotten days. Mind you 24 degrees in February in Austrian slush was not great fun either as I get older (and therefore weaker) God, I hate that last bit........
snow conditions
I loathe rain in ski resorts - but have been relatively fortunate over the many decades I've been skiing to have only a few stand-out rainy days.

The worst was probably in 'powder capital' Fernie - redefined miserable as the slopes turned green; sat in a bar in Thredbo watching the same thing happen; there was a horrible morning in Valmorel; a soaking experience on the chairlifts in Sierra at Tahoe; and last season one day of torrential rain all day and night in Saalbach (fortunately turned to snow the following day!).

The worst thing is the hope that it's snowing higher up - only to find it's a mixture of sleet and rain as you ascend on the lifts!
snow report
Three valleys has been pretty wet Wednesday & Thursday. Wednesday it was pretty much closed down and pissing down (we didn't ski). Ventured out yesterday but got absolutely drenched. No fun at all.
Well, maybe just a little, but pretty miserable after not too long..
snow report
Evidence of yesterday’s and last night ‘s Rain right to the top of the mountain in Lech today. Never seen anything like it (rain damaged snow) Slush moguls in January. That is too much rain. Evil or Very Mad but better than NO SNOW
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy