Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Over 60 new skiier

Poster: A snowHead
@Awdbugga, just click on the username next to their post, and the username magically appears in bold.
I don't think the @ actually does anything at the moment but I may be wrong.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@mgrolf, Thanks. Simple when you know how.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Awdbugga, Just come across this thread. I had a twenty seven year break from skiing until I decided to take it up again at the age of 71. I can thoroughly recommend the MYaSH Bash. I went this January and had a really good time. Everybody seemed to get along fine. I am planning on going again this year provided I can resolve the transport issues
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rabbie, That's great to hear. I'm definitely going in January and really looking forward to it. I'm hoping there will be flights from Manchester. I don't fancy trekking down to London from North Wales. Just out of curiosity, where are you based?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Awdbugga, I live about 40 mins north of Edinburgh Airport. Only a limited number of Italian destinations available on direct flights. Once the details are confirmed I will look at flights and possibly looking at staying near airport in Italy if flight times don't fit with transfers
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Rabbie, should have guessed from you username. Are flights from Manchester an option for you?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Manchester is a good four hours drive so not really an option.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Rabbie, I hope you manage to get something sorted.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Send photos, @Hurtle Little Angel
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@pam w, what, a selfie of me stretching my quads? Hahaha!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For knees my Physio mates now recommend core and squats. Start out with a small squat. Make sure your knees don't deviate inward. Add weight in a rucksack as you feel able and get stronger. There is no need to bend your knees too much as you hopefull won't be doing that skiing. Worked for me having knackered myself cycling.

Also where I am foam rollers and stretching a lot are out. It might be worth one trip to the sports Physio to ask if there's anything glaringly obvious to them.

For tight quads if you do want to stretch then google patello femoral pain syndrome stretches and do those.

60 is way young. Have fun 😀
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For knees my Physio mates now recommend core and squats. Start out with a small squat. Make sure your knees don't deviate inward. Add weight in a rucksack as you feel able and get stronger. There is no need to bend your knees too much as you hopefull won't be doing that skiing. Worked for me having knackered myself cycling.

Also where I am foam rollers and stretching a lot are out. It might be worth one trip to the sports Physio to ask if there's anything glaringly obvious to them.

For tight quads if you do want to stretch then google patello femoral pain syndrome stretches and do those.

60 is way young. Have fun 😀
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@motdoc, handy advice, thanks. I have started doing squats. I can't squat right down yet. Well I can, but getting back up is difficult; so I'm starting with small ones, but lots of them and I'll work up to full squats. Every little helps. I'm finding using my wife's Reviber vibrating plate is really good.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

It might be worth one trip to the sports Physio

Good advice. Squats are good if done properly (and they're often not) but deep squats are contra-indicated for lots of people - be careful, @Awdbugga.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pam w, I will be careful.
snow report
AWD...............

General - overall body - conditioning should be an ongoing vade mecum for you vis-a-vis your trip to Italy. I highly recommend walking and hiking as a foundation. It's right out your front door and all it requires is you. Just do same progressively, nothing Herculean, just progressive. Walking/hiking uphill and MOST CERTAINLY downhill significantly improves overall body tone, strength, resistance(!) and most certainly builds the legs. As you progress over weeks you should increasingly be able to pick up the pace and push where appropriate and comfortable. Progressively employ stretching exercises on all regions of your body. Again, for the most part no apparatus required other than yourself.
Pull ups and chin ups, sit ups, planks and chest push ups from the floor do wonders. In your case, go v. lightly with partial knee bends (only about 30%) and progress at your comfort level. Incorporate isometric where appropriate and possible. I'm a big advocate of isometric. If your knees are an issue the notion of lunges may be out of the question but, much like the aforementioned partial 30% knee bends, you might be able to do partial lunges. Just take that at your ease. Surgical band resistance is exceptional and they [sic] come in a wide variety and are cheap. Ask any world ranked skier just how phenomenal surgical resistance bands are. You'll get a kind earful.

You are within a region of the world where ice skating is not that common to put it mildly but I have stated for decades given my upbringing, my background in one aspect of that sport that if an individual wants to improve their skiing skills, try ice skating and become at least moderately fair at same. The body motions involved mimic skiing here and there and require similar muscle group and affect excellent physical conditioning, as well, balance................., employing partial isometric at times. I know that England is altogether short on ice rinks but if one is in your neck of the woods, seriously look into that. I also suggest cycling if same is available and comfortable to any individual.

And one more thing................. Deep breathing exercises. No foolin'. Honestly, a most highly beneficial exercise that everyone should do. Do it, you'll see.................
ski holidays
Bummer. I've now got sciatica. I had it a few years ago, where a spur of bone was growing into my sciatic nerve. After four epidural steroid injections over 18 months I had to have an operation; which cured it immediately. I've had no problems since.

Last night after doing some exercises, it's come back but not the same cause or symptoms. When I had it before, it got so bad I couldn't work, but I thankfully got partial relief when I sat down and total relief when I lay down. So I at least got a good nights sleep. This time it's painful when I lie down.

I was on my wife's Reviber Vibrating plate; which I've been using most days for the past week or so. It has two strong resistance bands attached (like bungees) with handles on; which allow you work out your arms whilst the plate does it's thing. I think by pulling on them repetitively, doing arm curls and having a slightly bent back, I've compressed my spine or aggravated something. I didn't feel anything at the time or for two hours after, it was only when I lay down in bed it kicked in. I know it's sciatica as the pain is going down the outside of my leg and the area around my spine is hypersensitive and sore. I'm hoping I've just aggravated something that's got inflamed and that it's not a disc that has split. I've been putting ice on it in the hope that if I can reduce the inflammation it will go as quickly as it came. Gutted. Obviously I'm laying off the plate for the foreseeable future. Sad
ski holidays
@Awdbugga, Sad Sad
ski holidays
@Hurtle, Tell me about it. But on the up said, I'm still going to the Chillfactore tomorrow with a mate for a practice. Rule 5 applies. Toofy Grin
latest report
@Awdbugga, I get the occasional bout of sciatica and know how miserable it feels. But the more you can keep moving the better. Kill or cure in the snowdome is definitely the answer. Good luck!
snow report
@Awdbugga, be gentle young man.
Learning to ski is the best bit.
I'm surprised you've got all the gear already, but here you go.

As far as exercise goes just keep it simple and short or you will go "off it".
You are going to have a great time.
I particularly love bashes as its a chance for me to get outside myself, away from family and friends,as they can always promise to come, but come the day they melt away.

Sorry to hear about the sciatica both for
@Awdbugga & @Hurtle
I've got to fess up to having an aching back too, I've been sitting around too much.
I started Pilates last week, but I haven't got the hang of it.
I must admit after a session I feel I can walk better and my posture feels good.
But all that's worn off and my back just aches now.

It could be an age thing but I think its sitting in front of a computer all day yesterday.
ski holidays
@DrLawn,
Quote:

sitting in front of a computer all day
Definitely the worst thing.
ski holidays
All I can say is "JGFI" - it is a decision you'll never regret. Re: knee support have a look at Ski-Mojo braces. They are fantastic and come up every now & again on eBay. Well worth the investment. Good luck & ENJOY!!!
snow report
My points would be (to max the enjoyment of your holiday)

1 . Continue your efforts indoor skiing - both tutored and freeskiing - the first 2 weeks of skiing are a big "hump" and once over it you are on a big intermediate plateau.

2. In January it will be cold , do not skimp on kit . Traditionally beginner skiers run hot , but you may be intermediate by then if you keep up your indoor work. Make sure your ski jacket has vents. I would recommend a shell and a variety of base and mid layers - particularly a primaloft mid layer under a shell with " pit zips" . You will be alternatively hot and cold . Socks, gloves and goggles should not be skimped either. If you do get hot, I recommend that goggles and a helmet de-fog faster than a wool hat and goggles.

3. Fitness - incorporating walking into you day were possible really helps with the shock of being outside all day for a week. Bonus if you can walk up and DOWN stairs - going down really helps the skiing muscles more!!

Good luck!!
latest report
I must own up to being a Mo-Jo user,
but I would not advise a beginner to get some.
You have enough to worry about getting the hang of planks on your feet, and even getting your boots done up.

When you get to the stage when you just get all your kit on and out the door without forgetting your lift pass, then you could start to think about spending the extra time required to sort you mo-jo's out.

The actual benefit of the mo-jo is you can keep going longer and have about a 30% increase in muscle strength in the thighs (I dont know what they are called).

For a beginner, Those cheap elasticated knee supports would almost certainly be a better idea.
Having said that, in the future when your addicted to skiing and going on bashes, you will eventually bump into Martin the inventor of these "little helpers". If you ask him nicely he will let you demo a pair and set them up for you. Then you can decide if they help or not.
I found it dramatically did improve my skiing, so I had to have a pair.
ski holidays
Just got back from the Chillfactore. Back held up fine, Sciatica seems to have gone. I obviously aggravated something around my spine doing the exercises the other day. But loads of ice packs and liberal applications of Voltarol seems to have done the job. That and a couple of stiff G&Ts last night. Happy days again. Very Happy
snow conditions
@Awdbugga, Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Try doing some cycling. I'm the same age as you but am overweight. I can ski fairly well but my legs get tired on long downhill runs and i have to stop for breathers every so often. I usually get better as the week goes on. It very much depends on snow conditions, if you get nice power everything is easy and forgiving- if its bad visibility and icy even blue runs can be tricky. There are some ski lessons on youtube which you may find useful

http://youtube.com/v/nlMn5UZNFxc

at least they are free,
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm 63 and in recent years have taken to snowshoeing on bad weather days. I found that I'm fine when the weather is good and the pistes are well-groomed, but I'm far more likely to have stamina and knee problems if the piste is poor and/or in bad weather and whiteout. I've noticed that a lot of older locals go snowshoeing as well, and it's great exercise as it's not as abrupt as skiing. You very quickly get away from the crowds but are usually still quite near to the base location. And in many places, if you buy daily skipasses, then you can avoid using the lifts and save a day's skipass cost. Obviously, if the weather is set fine and the slopes are fairly empty then we may not, but on average, we snowshoe at least 2 days in a 6-day trip. Many resorts have additional routemaps for the snowshoe itineraries.
latest report
@Awdbugga,
Quote:

Bummer. I've now got sciatica.
Oh - You poor thing. I't truly horrible isn't it. My last bad bout of sciatica was triggered by riding a bicycle over a rough surface. Perhaps not entirely dissimilar to the effects of your wife's vibrator. I'm coming to the conclusion that backs in general, and mine in particular, aren't keen on vibration/jarring.
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Perhaps not entirely dissimilar to the effects of your wife's vibrator.

I'll just leave that for others to comment on. Razz
snow report
Wow, loads of kind and helpful advice.

@mishmash, bit late for the ski jacket I'm afraid. I bought it early on. I never envisaged going on a skiing holiday or a bash when I bought the jacket and pants. I thought I'd just be having fun with my daughter at the Chillfactore. As a result, I bought a jacket without vents. Then I found this forum and it all changed. Never mind I'll manage. I'm taking lessons. I'm going to do one or two more free skiing sessions then go on the 6 hour one day "developer course" at the Chillfactore. I'll also have a one to one lesson before MyashBash in January.

@LaForet, I'm afraid snowshoeing doesn't appeal. I'm sure it's good exercise, but prefer something that can give a bit of an adrenaline rush. Having said that, I may find that after three full days on the slope I may be ready for it, but I hope not.

@edwardsnde, thanks for that. I've been watching the Ski School videos by Elate Media on youtube. They are also very helpful (and free).

@foxtrotzulu, my wife's vibrator!!!! I'll say no more. Embarassed Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Wow, loads of kind and helpful advice.

@mishmash, bit late for the ski jacket I'm afraid. I bought it early on. I never envisaged going on a skiing holiday or a bash when I bought the jacket and pants. I thought I'd just be having fun with my daughter at the Chillfactore. As a result, I bought a jacket without vents. Then I found this forum and it all changed. Never mind I'll manage. I'm taking lessons. I'm going to do one or two more free skiing sessions then go on the 6 hour one day "developer course" at the Chillfactore. I'll also have a one to one lesson before MyashBash in January.

@LaForet, I'm afraid snowshoeing doesn't appeal. I'm sure it's good exercise, but prefer something that can give a bit of an adrenaline rush. Having said that, I may find that after three full days on the slope I may be ready for it, but I hope not.

@edwardsnde, thanks for that. I've been watching the Ski School videos by Elate Media on youtube. They are also very helpful (and free).

@foxtrotzulu, my wife's vibrator!!!! I'll say no more. Embarassed Toofy Grin
latest report
I'm looking for a new jacket, vents under the arms are nice but not essential. I undo the main zip if I get too hot. I'd like one with a lift pass pocket on the arm. Most liftpasses are contactless, I have to put mine in a chest pocket and sometimes have to do contortions to get it to work.
Decathlon are quite good and relatively cheap for ski gear. I got a helmet for £20 and some good sallopettes for £40 in a sale last year. My sallopettes last me far longer than a skl jacket as I wear them as a general winter coat.
I like the look of these:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/slide-700-mens-ski-jacket-red-id_8371433.html

but I'm not going to buy one until they have the in store.
I need a pair of bad weather goggles too - Decathlon have them for ~£20.
snow report
@edwardsnde,
I have to confess to having bought my jacket and Sallopettes from Dare2B. Being new to skiing, I'd never heard of them. I bought them purely for use in the Chillfactore, never thinking for one moment I'd go on a skiing holiday or a snowheads bash. They'll have to do, simple as that. Providing I've got a good base and mid layer I'll be fine. As you say, if you get too warm, open your jacket. The helmet I'll be buying has loads of vents which can be easily opened and closed to cool me down. I've deliberately bought my gear in the summer before the new season stock comes in, so it is all last seasons stock and has all been heavily discounted. My skis are "exactly" the same spec as this years model but at a fraction of the cost. I've seen this years model at twice the price I paid for mine only 5 weeks ago. Same skis, different decals and colour. I'm not proud.
snow report
@Awdbugga, Dare2B do some pretty decent value stuff. My old salopettes were Dare2B and I only really got rid of them because they had a cut in them (kids, don't learn to do a 90 on skis that are 65 underfoot) and someone was selling some others at a decent price.
ski holidays
@SnoodlesMcFlude, I'm pleased with clothes. They are warm and comfortable. They may be a little too bright for most people's taste. But on the upside, the helivac will be able to see me easily. Very Happy
snow conditions
@Awdbugga, ref elastic knee supports, the ones you get in Decathlon can be pretty damn good (depending on severity of knee issues). I use:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mid-500-knee-brace-black-id_8334535.html

(57, and quite a bit short for my weight)

I was taken out while standing still at Christmas: being doing physio ever since, but have completed another 3 weeks skiing, a couple of weeks hiking / MTBing in the Alps, and yesterday a 50 mile bike sportif wearing one: am very satisfied.
When not wearing it, the knee is a wee bit sore still, but with it on, the support is terrific - it gives you the confidence to trust it not to hurt, rather than trying to compensate and make things worse.

And of course, with Decathlon, you ain't wasted a fortune if they aren't right for you.
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, nice one. Thanks for that. I may well add them to my growing list of gear needed for Livigno. I hope Father Christmas is kind to me this year. I've been a good boy. Honestly. rolling eyes Twisted Evil
latest report
I've just ordered a new ski jacket from dare2b, its a horrible green colour but looks good.
https://www.dare2b.com/hill-seeker-ski-jacket-extreme-green/
Thanks for the info Ive never heard of Dare2b before. I hoope the jacket fits I ordered a medium but I also am too heavy for my height.

Join topcashback before you book any ski flights https://www.topcashback.co.uk/home

If you book through their site you get a few% cash back on some flight eg Swiss, Easyjet - think its 1.5% with swiss and 1% with easy jet. Can aslo get discouts/cashback on airport car parking, ski insurance etc. I've booked up a ski holiday to Mayrhofen next March with Crystalski through topcashback and got £23 back/ It doesn't cost anything so its worthdoing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy