Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I want to learn parallel long turns

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I want to learn ski technique.
Currently, I'm interested in parallel long turns.
I know, I know that there are many videos online, but I can't recognize which of them are good.
I found, for instance, this tutorial:

http://youtube.com/v/hJUxdw9vfnA
I found it helpful and interesting. Do you have other suggestions?
Thanks,
Monica Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Better with this person.

http://youtube.com/v/W2x3BFhNUGg

And then take lessons
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@MonicaSkiFan, welcome to Snowheads. Where are you based / where do you ski? Videos can be good, up to a point, depending on your learning style, but to really nail it lessons would probably make sense...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^^ this. I had 2x2hr private lessons. Made a huuuge difference.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The first guy is too far inside therefore the skis drift apart throughout the turn (distance between skis increases). He would me more likely to fall over if it got icy.

The second guy aligns his body so there are enough forces directed over the outside ski. This is a strong and balanced position.

So be more like the second guy Happy and take a lesson!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Second one definitely better.
With a bit of work he will improve his style too.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am just impressed how he arrives back at his poles without getting the lift. Marvellous.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bennyboy1, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't know what level you are at, but it's possible that you might get something out of this thread:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=129085&highlight=
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I find it interesting that the guy in the 2nd vid is using race SL skis and not doing particularly long turns...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
2nd guy, notice the tracks that his skis leave behind, even through the turn, there are two clear, parallel lines as he carves the skis through the turn instead of letting them slip sideways. I used to refer to this as being "on the rail" until people started calling it carving.
I found the key thing to carving turns is that when the ski is actually carving, its trajectory is relatively fixed untill you swap to the other edge so you need to adjust your balance to suit where the ski is taking you rather than adjusting the side slip / edge grip of the ski to suit your balance.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
I find it interesting that the guy in the 2nd vid is using race SL skis and not doing particularly long turns...

Following comments about ski edge cut radius in my thread about off piste skis, this is why I like skis with a short turn radius, it means being able to carve turns on steeper and narrower slopes and still keep the speed down (ish)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter S wrote:
Second one definitely better.
With a bit of work he will improve his style too.

Are you referring to the video posted by the OP or the Darren Turner one?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tangowaggon wrote:
when the ski is actually carving, its trajectory is relatively fixed untill you swap to the other edge so you need to adjust your balance to suit where the ski is taking you rather than adjusting the side slip / edge grip of the ski to suit your balance.

Not if you're in good control and able to control the radius of the carve through adapting edge angle and pressure. Unless that's what you meant?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm a ski instructor and I think that the 1st video is good. Don't watch too many tutorials Monica. Focus on one good as you found it by yourself and I noticed that the first video is associated with the proper written tutorial: http://ski247.net/techniques/parallel-long-turns

Also you asked for long parallel turns which is presented on the first video. The second person is doing midium radius turns, but is good too.

Where are you from Monica?
latest report
I'd be a little worried if I was an instructor and liked the first video (I am not an instructor, but have skied quite a lot...often with very good skiers, instructors, ex-WC or EC racers, etc.). I would like to think and submit I have a reasonable eye for a reasonable technique, although I would happily admit that I learned old school and only relatively recently endeavoured to update my own technique.

His short turn video (link thru YT) IMHO is even worse... Shocked
snow conditions
A much nicer set of examples are here and linked off there -
http://youtube.com/v/X0RzZUb9bnU&sns=em
ski holidays
On the 1st video, the guy keeps his skis hip width apart. This is how it should be according to the current trends.
On the 3rd video with the green pants, the guy's skis are too narrow as you can see on the initial picture of the video. That is an old school.

At least there are no ads on the 1st video. wink

Greetings,
John
latest report
Guy in the first video has poor lateral balance and gets stuck in his inside ski occasionally. That's going to compromise his ability to influence the shape of the turn.
snow report
@JohnMorning, I would submit that as the chap in Vid 3 has been on Austria's Interski team and is an instructor trainer you are possibly mis-interpreting angles based on a static photo plus national teaching style differences?

Great green pants eh?
snow conditions
@JohnMorning,

Quote:

This is how it should be according to the current trends.

the world of skiing isn't limited to just one 'correct' way. Various world ski associations mostly have 'their' way and only their way in their exams as is their prerogative in their association.

As Rob say's :
Quote:

Guy in the first video has poor lateral balance and gets stuck in his inside ski occasionally. That's going to compromise his ability to influence the shape of the turn.

Agree 100% - the guy knows one set position and hangs onto it throughout the 'set curve' of the ski. It's early stage learning...
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:

My amateurish eye doesn't like the first video.

- His arms seem too narrow, which imo is bad for balance....they also seem too low.

- He seems to be pushing his lower leg away through the turn, causing the gap in the skis to widen

- There also seems to be a bit of A-Frame going on.

- Overall, he just doesn't seem to be in a strong, stacked position, to cope with higher speeds and steep terrain.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@JohnMorning, I would submit that as the chap in Vid 3 has been on Austria's Interski team and is an instructor trainer you are possibly mis-interpreting angles based on a static photo plus national teaching style differences?

Great green pants eh?

Personally, I think that is superb skiing.

As I understand it, there is a big difference between sliding the skis apart laterally (like video 1), and increasing the gap vertically, by shortening the uphill leg, by pulling it up under the hip (as in Long leg/Short leg)...which I think Mr Green Pants is doing.

I also think stance width can vary with turn type. Fast Long turns require a wider stance for balance/stability/hip angle; whereas a narrower stance is better for short turns (and Moguls), as it allows you to be quicker from one set of edges, to the other.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 20-08-17 10:33; edited 2 times in total
latest report
@Old Fartbag, Austrian Interski team is more or less the definition of superb skiing wink - ( not to say other Interski teams are not also superb Happy )

Also, as you refer, being comfortable to modify stance width according to conditions, is a key skill.

I am not at all convinced that,

"At the end of a turn use the centrifugal force to raise the posture slightly and lean inside the opposite arc shape your skis are starting to make and switch edges at the same time. Starting the turn lower your posture, lean your knees and hips inside the turn and move your trunk outside of the turn. Continue the turn cutting a clean arc with edges through the snow and then start the opposite turn. Your skis should be hip width apart." ...

...is currently approved advice from anyone.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Austrian Interski team is more or less the definition of superb skiing wink - ( not to say other Interski teams are not also superb Happy )

Also, as you refer, being comfortable to modify stance width according to conditions, is a key skill.

I am not at all convinced that,

"At the end of a turn use the centrifugal force to raise the posture slightly and lean inside the opposite arc shape your skis are starting to make and switch edges at the same time. Starting the turn lower your posture, lean your knees and hips inside the turn and move your trunk outside of the turn. Continue the turn cutting a clean arc with edges through the snow and then start the opposite turn. Your skis should be hip width apart." ...

...is currently approved advice from anyone.

I can get a bit "Navel Gazey" when it comes to ski analysis...but...I think I would need an Instructor to fully interpret that sentence.

I'm not sure what, "At the end of a turn use the centrifugal force to raise the posture slightly" really means. You spend the the second half of the turn counteracting CF, which is released with a softening of the legs, with as little upward movement as possible.

I agree that the edges should change at the same time (and at the same angle).

I'm not sure it's helpful to think of starting the turn with knees/hips. IMO. The first action starts from the feet, with the hips gradually dropping inside (and maybe finishing with a little subtle knee drive up hill). Your posture only lowers as a result of angulation and shouldn't be a specific action.

Nothing wrong with thinking of hip width in long turns.

Anyway, I'm happy to be educated on this.
snow report
I can only dream of getting the kind of angles Mr Green Pants demonstrates!
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
I can only dream of getting the kind of angles Mr Green Pants demonstrates!

I used to have Green Pants (80s Luminous variety)....but they never made me ski like that....Shame! Sad
snow report
In part I think that's a 'time thing', which should come naturally.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ValueSkiBreaks wrote:
In part I think that's a 'time thing', which should come naturally.

No. It's an instruction and practice thing which probably doesn't come naturally.
latest report
@Old Fartbag, I still have lime green salopettes, yet I don't achieve those edge angles either. I suspect @under a new name, may have a point Laughing
snow report
mgrolf wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I still have lime green salopettes, yet I don't achieve those edge angles either. I suspect @under a new name, may have a point Laughing

Mine were from the excellent, now defunct, Phoenix...bought for peanuts from a discount warehouse (along with the Jacket). I could be seen glowing in a Whiteout, like a lighthouse.

There is something about skiing, that makes you want to do, the opposite of what you should do .....so UAKN knows what he's talking about (on this occasion wink )
snow report
@Old Fartbag, some people are able to watch, understand, transfer to themselves and learn.

Most people can't. (See also, Intermediate Plateau)
ski holidays
@under a new name, In 45 years, I've never met a good skier who taught themselves....a few of the more talented ones could get by OK, until things got tough.....but maybe I have not met enough self taught skiers. Toofy Grin
latest report
I'd say the chap in video 1 looks like he needs a fair few lessons, although I note that both his fans have suspiciously low post counts.

Ah yes, here we go, the other posts are starting to show in the indexes now:
https://www.j2ski.com/ski-chat-forum/posts/list/17608.page
A post count of 1 there too.

The video needs to be re-shot in 16:9, and someone needs to read the manual about exposure settings for snow.

Skiing - yeah, Mr Green pants who looks like he could probably keep up.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, every self taught skier I've met has turned to to have had some form of instruction/coaching/training in the past...

Shep might be an exception mind you.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
... every self taught skier I've met has turned to to have had some form of instruction/coaching/training in the past...
Coaching and training are very different from the instruction of novices. Grouping them together is why you get that result. Every one of them probably eats breakfast too wink

I'd say that "tuition" is a good way to get quickly through the novice stages, but beyond that it's not how everyone learns.
snow report
@under a new name, IME. The biggest percentage of holiday skiers take just enough lessons to get down a Red run and then stop. They spend the week "Rallying About", as a friend of mine puts it (and is what he enjoys doing).

The brilliant thing about here, is being amongst like minded people, who really commit to getting better...and do the necessary fitness.
snow report
Old Fartbag wrote:

The brilliant thing about here, is being amongst like minded people, who really commit to getting better...and do the necessary fitness.

Or at least like to pretend we do on the internet. wink Laughing
ski holidays
Tubaski wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:

Or at least like to pretend we do on the internet. wink Laughing

A bluffer can usually be spotted at a 1000 paces by the more canny folk on here; but a little bit of exaggeration... Cool
snow report
If my eyes don't deceive me one of the differences is that the first vid is on an easy Blue run in Bulgaria, the other two are generally on steeper runs with higher speed and more more control. Overall the 2nd and 3rd guys are more dynamic in the turn and more 'stacked' in their positions. The weight is more over the outside ski, hips, shoulders, feet are well aligned more rhythmical, stronger upper body position....

Get the app that video 2 is taken from and it talks through a lot of the positions and feelings, but indeed as others have said you need to augment it with lessons.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy