Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas destinations... Mayrhofen?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having just got back from a summer(-ish) holiday, we started thinking about the winter...

2 adults, both fine on reds, can cope with the occasional black. We are tied to school holiday dates, and try to avoid the premium for Feb half term, so looking at christmas week, departing the 23rd December.

Obviously there is a higher chance of sketchy conditions, so looking for somewhere high... Austria has taken my fancy, having read a few references to a good history of early snow.

I've found a decent deal for Mayrhofen.

Rather than ask if it's the best option, I'll ask:

Is there any reason not to head to Mayrhofen for a Christmas week?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jess.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 21-08-17 16:23; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The ski area is reasonably high - mostly between 1700 and 2500, so fairly snowsure for Austria.
I was there the week before xmas in a very poor snow year (2014) and there was plenty of pistes to go at.
Hintertux and the other towns in the valley are all included in the pass, so something like 400k of pistes altogether.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cool, thanks Juan! Slightly concerned by the reviews of Neilson food, but looks like I'll probably get booking soon. Having a holiday to look forward to will make me feel better about the lack of sun this summer.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BigSouthernJesse, I was there the week before NY last season (arrived Boxing Day). Snow making ability in the whole valley is superb so whilst there was no snow offpiste, the majority of pistes were open. No need to worry in my view.

Skiing is accessed by upload lift (amazing new gondolas) so you do t need to worry by resort level. As above, skiing is high.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Bennyboy, thanks for the reply.

That was my thinking... go high with plenty of snowmaking and hope it's cold enough for them to work...

Jess.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Christmas week in Mayrhofen should be good. As other posts say its high enough plus very good snow making. Lift pass covers you for Hintertux (glacier) and Zell (zillertal arena) and Kaltenbach too. Can get train or bus to Zell and train to Kaltenbach. I actually prefer the Zell area to Mayrhofen itself. Its about 10 minutes down the valley on the train and then a bus from the station to lifts- alternatively you can get bus from train station in Mayrhofen direct to Gerlos ( middle bit of Zillertal arena sometimes the link between Zell am Ziller and Gerlos can be closed. Main area in mayrhofen is Penken but links over to Eggalm, Ahorn is the smaller area in Mayrhofen but has some good reds and a run ( now regraded black ) that goes down to village that may be doable at Christmas ( I've skied it in late March|).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hintertux, the glacier, is open 365 days a year so you are guaranteed some snow. A great early season choice and one of my favourite resorts (esp. since they improved the main gondola up!)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BigSouthernJesse wrote:

No.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
red 27 wrote:
BigSouthernJesse wrote:

No.

red, that's a great simple answer, thank you. Unfortunately, I found a reason of my own - family visiting for Christmas, so we've bumped the holiday back to February, and ended up going to Soldeu...

Mayrhofen can wait for another year!

Jess.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@BigSouthernJesse, Family visiting for Christmas is an even better reason to go to Mayrhofen! wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy