Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

4 nights Austria, doable?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Looking at March in Austria (any fairly large area) but only for maybe 4 nights. Is this at all doable? Been to Austria many times but only for a week, both DIY and package. I've checked in the past and it appeared expensive. Thoughts?

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Absolutely. Valley towns may be easier than resorts, but definitely doable. May need to wait until nearer the time to book if you want to stay in resort though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Clarky999, any ideas of best time to look?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The later the better! The only reason you wouldn't be able to book 4 days is of the operator thinks they can still see that room for the whole week. At this time of year the booking season has barely started, so many/most would rather take the risk and wait (exceptions will be hotels in places like Innsbruck and Salzburg where the market isn't focussed on whole-week trips). I guess after NYE it should get easier.

Probably want to book flights earlier though - either Innsbruck, Salzburg or Munich will give you thousands of resort/accommodation options later on.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks again!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with @clarky999, loads of places within an hour-ish of Innsbruck and Salzburg.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Disaster, You could contact snowhead flangesax who runs a lovely guesthouse (Haus Susanne) in Radstadt in the ski amade region. In addition to the skiing at Radstadt itself there's the nearby ski slopes of Wagrain, Flachau etc. http://www.austrian-adventures.com/
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Disaster, Definitely doable. There are plenty of flights to Salzburg this coming winter.

Between them Ryanair, EasyJet and BA have London-Salzburg flights every day.

Norwegian are flying to Salzburg from Gatwick this winter (mid-Dec until Easter) on Wed/Fri/Sat. Flights from about £40 one-way.

Eurowings are also introducing winter flights to Salzburg from Heathrow, Birmingham and Manchester and have a daily flight (except Saturdays) that departs/arrives Stansted in the evening.

Jet 2 appear to be planning winter flights to Salzburg from Birmingham, Belfast, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Leeds/Bradford, Stansted and Manchester.

As @clarky999 says, there are numerous resorts within 60-90 mins of Salzburg (and Innsbruck). Just book the flights now, then go to wherever the snow is best. Look at the local Tourist Office websites (e.g. www.saalbach.com) for accommodation ideas. The Salzburg Airport website has links to all of the taxi and shuttle transfers to the various resorts. If you are going as a group, €150-€170 will get you a pre-booked private taxi-minibus to almost any resort from Salzburg (Kitzbuhel, Zell am See, Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Fieberbrunn/Leogang, Maria Alm/Hochkonig, Bad Gastein etc.) or single tickets on the Shuttles are about €45 to any resort.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 18-08-17 8:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Disaster, ...nice handle

Entirely do-able.

Our routine in Feb-Mar:

Book in sept - flight out Luton/gatwick to Geneva Thurs late pm - hire car to chalet in Crans Montana - ski Friday, Sat, Sun, Monday - 4pm in car to airport. Back in Uk 10pm-ish. Excellent.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@disaster, what's your budget?
4 nights absolutely no problem, but budget clearly determines the range of options.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you hire a car then it opens up loads more accommodation that might be outside a walkable distance or off the ski bus routes... just in case.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers for the info all,
Budget for 4 nights isn't such a problem but we'd obviously like it to cost less than a week's package. I've done plenty of DIY weeks but every time I've looked at 4 nights it seems to be the same price as going for a week. Seeing the responses here, I'm confident I can bag a deal nearer the time and so I may as well book my flights soonish.
Nice one.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The extra expense will come in the following forms:

The flight price will not be reduced pro rata the number of days - though the base cost itself isn't any more if you cost it per skiing day it will be more.

If going for a week you may be happy to take a shared transfer for economy as against speed whereas for a weekend trip speed is of the essence.

Accommodation may be a bit more expensive per night - as with most things in life buying in bigger quantities usually yields a lower per unit price.

You always have to factor in of course the reason you are doing it in the first place - i.e., you don't have the capacity (leave, time) to do a full week and/or there are other benefits.

Off season it's very doable but yes it may be relatively expensive. But perhaps not much if done right - as advised above.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Disaster, Have done short breaks a couple of times. Destination depends on where you are travelling from. Innsbruck from Manchester was only Saturday to Saturday & Salzburg was only certain days. Manchester to Munich OTOH - flights throughout the day! My only issue with Munich is the proximity to the "big" mountains is 2.5-3 hours +. We've done the Skiwelt & Alpbachtal areas on a couple of occasions. Both within 90 mins of Munich by car and both IIRC accessible by train / taxi. Have done similar in France, flying to Lyon then drive across to the 3V.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Disaster, Accommodation-wise agree with@clarky999, leave as late as possible. We've always used Tiscover who have lots of accommodation available. Lastly, if you are happy out of ski "resort" then accommodation is considerably less expensive!
latest report
Update:
Flights booked 21st -25th March. Provisionally booked in to the campsite in Solden, this a last resort as there's not even a bog in the "Sleeping Barrel". So, I have a list of 25 email addresses for suitable accommodation. When should I make my inquiries?

Cheers!
latest report
Disaster wrote:
Update:
Flights booked 21st -25th March. Provisionally booked in to the campsite in Solden, this a last resort as there's not even a bog in the "Sleeping Barrel". So, I have a list of 25 email addresses for suitable accommodation. When should I make my inquiries?

Cheers!

A week to 10 days before.
snow conditions
@Disaster, depends a bit if you prioritise your budget or that warm feeling of knowing where you're going to sleep.

Thing is, many of the less expensive will prefer to book Sat-Sat this early, so they might not offer you anything. The closer you get to your holiday, the more anxious they will become to book any rooms not yet booked. I'm booking Mon-Mon (in St. Anton) and have received some replies saying I should get back early next year. I prefer knowing, so I booked already and am probably paying a premium for the privilege. ...but the room is decent and seems appropriately priced.

But if you have the patience, wait. Probably doesn't hurt to inquire, though.
latest report
@Disaster, totally. Last time I went to Radstadt, having flown into Salzburg, I was on my skis by lunchtime on the travel day. I stayed in a favourite b'nb, which is flexible on days (whenever I book) and it was more than possible to have a decent ski on both arrival and departure days. I think that a short transfer is the crucial prerequisite.
ski holidays
The Hotel Garni Sunshine in Solden will do 4 nights, we have stayed there twice on that basis. No point in waiting to book, they won't be any cheaper but may well be full if you leave it.

https://www.liebesonne.at/en/accommodation/garni-sunshine/rooms-rates

Directly opposite the cable car, opposite a good apres bar (and above a club). Good breakfast.
latest report
Nice one guys.
I'll send that email way after Christmas. I can cancel my current booking for free up until sometime in Feb so as longs as I'm sorted by then... Plus, gives me more time to save so I might even splash out a bit!
ski holidays
@Disaster, another good resource for short stay accommodation is tiscover
latest report
Ghost Dog wrote:
The Hotel Garni Sunshine in Solden will do 4 nights, we have stayed there twice on that basis. No point in waiting to book, they won't be any cheaper but may well be full if you leave it.

A lot of places will only do it late on when they have vacancies and don't expect late bookings hence the suggestion. But there are a few places that will do it even in advance, and especially for non-busy times. So if you know them, it meets your requirements and they are happy to play ball then agree no reason not to book. It's horses for courses as they say.
snow report
My last 4 trips to Austria have been 4 nights only. I've booked early, Aug/Sept with not too much effort. Also single rooms. Ischgl was the trickiest but Sölden, Serfaus and Stanton turned out easy. So no worries, it's perfectly doable even well in advance. My price range is (was) 50-60e.
latest report
Nice one Imu. Ischgl is on the radar for next year!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy