Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warren Smith mogul course

Poster: A snowHead
Notice that they are doing a series of courses at the UK fridges and am keen on the mogul course, as I suck big time on moguls Embarassed
Has anyone been on any of the one day courses, especially the mogul course and what was it like? Coincides with my birthday, so perfect timing Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
At a guess - Bracquage wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm - looks interesting and just what I need, having issues getting down badly cut up runs.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They're doing one at Castleford Shocked
Hmmm Sun 3rd Sep might have to look into that.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boabski, They would be very good I recon and well worth a visit. I would suggest doing ours at Hemel but we are full up snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
do look good, might try Cas in Oct as I may have developed a bit of fitness by then
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@endoman, you should come down Sunday mornings and get fit by sking Wink 3hr sking 2hr plus with coaching for £17 If you're a member £26 ish if you're not.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Daishan wrote:
@endoman, you should come down Sunday mornings and get fit by sking Wink 3hr sking 2hr plus with coaching for £17 If you're a member £26 ish if you're not.

Sounds good, didn't know about that, will have a look.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks folks. Will get my better half to book it for me
Went to their biometrics chats last year and was very impressed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've done a couple of their mogul courses. Well worth it for something to do in summer.

.................and no bracquage Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@boabski, Thanks for the heads up. Looking at their website I see they are coming to Braehead on 3 September. Not a mogul day, but I've signed up for it on the basis it may not do much good, but it'll surely do no harm !
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm booked on the non moguls day course in September, anyone else done this recently? Not sure at all what to expect, they've sent me a mail with some pre skiing exercises & warm up stuff - I'm definitely a long way from peak fitness and flexibility but am cracking on - will it kill me?

Am really keen to give it a try especially interested in getting to grips with relieving knee pressure - my knees are knackered (nerves, poor technique, injuries) and this looks like just the thing. Did a 'development day' course at Chillfactore before, had good day & really enjoyed it but didn't learn anything new or make any changes it was more like a revision & practise session with a bunch of kids.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Um, so that means they've made some moguls there...
If you go outside the class times, are those bumps available to anyone (no no, I won't scrape any snow off the things as I pass you)?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Castleford and Milton Keynes have moguls up once a month, Castleford will have some up this Sunday possibly all weekend.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
philwig wrote:
Um, so that means they've made some moguls there...
If you go outside the class times, are those bumps available to anyone (no no, I won't scrape any snow off the things as I pass you)?

I was at Castleford last year when someone was running a moguls course and I was free to ski the moguls at the same time .
snow conditions
Sounds good - thanks!
snow conditions
ChillFactore Manchester) also do free moguls days/eves, usually 2 days a month. Same day as the WS and other courses go but free for punters to use with normal slope pass. You can also book direct instruction sessions with CF I think.
Never paid to play on them as a course or with instruction, but done on my own. Interesting, tight, compact and small little things, about 1/2 the slope's length and mostly covering one of the 2 sides. Definitely challenging for my meagre abilities - though I can usually cope with real ones to some degree.
Were it not for my knees not yet being up to the job, I'd be booking on the WS course for sure.
latest report
That's me booked for bumps on Oct 5th. Smile
ski holidays
Booked for Cas Oct 2. Will make me keep riding the bike at least.
latest report
Well that was a great day at Cas. Never thought I'd get down in control and at a decent pace without looking like a rag doll, but the way Andy teaches and the gentle progression makes it possible for everyone. I shall have to keep a look out for when moguls are back at cas and manchester to consolidate what I learned. Highly recommended, and will no doubt improve my none mogul skiing as well.
snow conditions
I went on their one day bumps course in Castleford last year, would be happy to go again. It was a good session with lots of feedback.
latest report
Just out of interest - how long did you get to ski the moguls? At our course in Braehead they roped them off with nobody using them for the first 2 hours. Then they opened them at 6 pm at which point it was quiet. We stopped about 7 for a bite to eat and by the time we came back the moguls were rammed with folks flying down them. This was down to Braehead mismanagement rather than Warren Smith. I didn’t gain what I wanted as a result as it was just too busy to take my time and work on technique. Had we had use of them earlier on I would have gained much more from it.
latest report
boabski wrote:
This was down to Braehead mismanagement rather than Warren Smith.

Exactly why I am loathed to book anything there that requires any degree of planning or organisation on the operators part. Unless in the very unlikely situation that I ever develop a notion for park skiing, they seem to to be very good at that..... rolling eyes
snow conditions
boabski wrote:
Just out of interest - how long did you get to ski the moguls? At our course in Braehead they roped them off with nobody using them for the first 2 hours. Then they opened them at 6 pm at which point it was quiet. We stopped about 7 for a bite to eat and by the time we came back the moguls were rammed with folks flying down them. This was down to Braehead mismanagement rather than Warren Smith. I didn’t gain what I wanted as a result as it was just too busy to take my time and work on technique. Had we had use of them earlier on I would have gained much more from it.

It was a midweek day course. I did 51 runs according to my watch. Hardly anyone else in the place. We had no issues at all with getting access to the bumps.
snow conditions
@endoman, thanks. As suspected a Braehead f up as usual
latest report
endoman wrote:
Well that was a great day at Cas.

They've put an advertising snippet on you tube from this day.
snow conditions
Thanks. My 15 year old jacket is famous!! It felt a lot faster than it looks!!
ski holidays
Just come across this thread, anyone thats been recommend the course at Cas? worth the 1hr30m trip from the Yorkshire coast? how long are the courses running for? I work away so wouldnt be able to go until the end of the month!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll report back on the Manchester one later/tomorrow.
snow conditions
Samc12 wrote:
Just come across this thread, anyone thats been recommend the course at Cas? worth the 1hr30m trip from the Yorkshire coast? how long are the courses running for? I work away so wouldnt be able to go until the end of the month!

Two folks from London on the course I did at Cas, one from Hull, one from Darlington. Yes it's worth the trip. Course details on Warren Smith website. They are not the standard in house lessons.
snow conditions
@endoman, were you Ben??
latest report
His brother, Bill. Left my flowerpot at home.
snow report
OK, in brief:

1. Sensible group size - we had 2 instructors - Becky, Andy+ a trainee instructor Eathan which was a bonus as he could spend a few minutes with anyone (ahem...) in need of a bit of 1:1.
2. A good chunk of the time was spent on techniques useful on moguls, not on the moguls themselves, but useful for normal skiing anyway.
3. Instructors were really, really good at teaching and fixing your problems.
4. There was (for me) a single 'thing' that got me down the moguls quite nicely, that was a bloody hard pole plant!
5. The 'piste' was pretty good. Not quite the same as the real thing, but good enough not to be a problem.
5. All in all a very enjoyable AND successful day.
6. I travelled from Bristol (stayed with Mum in Macclesfield) so not going to be a regular thing, but if it was local I'd probably do it again.
ski holidays
@endoman, No worries, there was a "Ben" in my group and he came from Derbyshire too.
snow report
In fact I've cocked this totally; I though you were at Manchester today Embarassed
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
In fact I've cocked this totally; I though you were at Manchester today Embarassed

LOL.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:

That was me wink
latest report
I'm hoping and I think it will, that the techniques and skills learned will help with the off piste and variable snow etc. Especially strong pole plants and looking ahead for the line. Have a few drills I can work on in the fridge next time.
latest report
Just a follow up. Back from 11 days in Whistler. Snow on 9 of those days, huge amounts. My lad worked there for 2 full seasons and said he's never seen as much relentless snowfall. Anyway, there were plenty bumps to try out. Day 3, " ungroomed run, challenging conditions" it said. Lovely powder on a flat bit, then hit massive bumps. The lessons were worth their weight in gold. Hands forward, plant, and down it I went. In reasonable style. Same with anything skied in resort.

Then we had a day catskiing in 30 is cms of fresh on top of more fresh etc. Coped with all that, a bit less grace, but managed. In short I'd highly recommend the Warren Smith Mogul Course. It will help with all your skiing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy