Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Heatwave Lucifer effect on the Alps

Poster: A snowHead

http://youtube.com/v/TZbXRhcr51o

This is trending on Twitter. Anyone know where it is? Sas Fee?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know where it is, but it's not Saas-Fee.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's not Tignes but that is in a similar state.

https://tignes.roundshot.com/grande-motte/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bormio? Stelvio Pass?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@cameronphillips2000, definitely not Saas Fee, I was there a week ago and I looked pretty good (though I didn't ski it).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
UkuleleDave wrote:
Bormio? Stelvio Pass?

That's what google says.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not good for the glaciers but it is good for the resorts and the business's and their summer trade as all those down on the plains migrate up to the mountains, even for short weekend breaks. Tignes tag line at the moment is @the remedy to the heatwave'. I suspect a lot of business owners will have to make a couple of trips to Switzerland this year wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@bar shaker, wow. Grande-Motte looks somewhat reduced since the last time I was up there about 20 years ago! Do we have any comparative pics of the development of the glacier over time?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The comments on the You Tube page are enough to make you realise how reasonable and well mannered the Brexit threads in Apres are Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Tubaski, the comments are completely bizarre! Somebody post a video of a glacier in summer and gets a shitstorm about muslims, jews and blacks... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It is Stelvio

The last 6 weeks has been relentless heat in these parts, last week touching 40C.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Summer Skiing will be over in the Alps within the next 10 years.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why is hot weather called Lucifer?

Yesterday was a chaotic thunderstorm day. Lots of roads closed due to flooding and landslides. Hot and sunny again today.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia wrote:
Why is hot weather called Lucifer?

Because it's devilishly hot? Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
According to this report it was the Italians who gave the heatwave the name "Lucifero". Madeye-Smiley
latest report
More info

https://www.reuters.com/video/2017/08/06/lucifer-heat-wave-takes-toll-on-alpine-g?videoId=372262526
ski holidays
Sas Fee is looking better. This is the best webcam I think I've ever seen in the Alps

https://panocam.skiline.cc/saas-fee/allalin
snow report
Pretty scary looking at kitzsteinhorn cameras. We were there 10 years ago in summer and skiing was possible but definitely not happening now. Was at hintertux last year for a day trip and when you see the photos of the glacier retreating I have no doubt that summer skiing will be a thing of the past for the Alps in the not too distant future.
ski holidays
This is the Dachstein glacier from when I was up there last Wednesday. No idea if this is typical for August, never been before.

snow conditions
@hammerite, Looks fairly normal. They all look like that, which is why I don't go skiing before end of October (usually).
ski holidays
Donald Trump says it will all be alright
ski holidays
@cameronphillips2000,
You're mistaken. Trump says it is gonna be great. And fantastic.
And climate change is fake news.
And Boris Johnson will soon anounce a referendum to exit climate change. Gonna cost 60 billion though. Euro that is.

@Steilhang, No it is not normal. Or, rather, it was'nt. We were skiing in Kaprun in August 15 years ago. Unthinkable these days.
snow conditions
@Langerzug, Yep. I've skied Kaprun in August, as well as Stubai and Hintertux. Only Hintertux keeps going now, but, as I say, it looks just like that.
ski holidays
@hammerite, for Dachstein it's pretty normal, but it depends on year. With summer like we have at the moment, it's perfecly normal and it was same 15 or 20 years ago. Add some dust from Sahara (which we were suppose to be getting last few weeks too) and that's pretty much normal thing. But then you have years where it's a bit colder and there's less stuff flying over up from Africa and snow looks much better. But neither way skiing in August or early September is not an option for me nowadays when I don't race anymore and I don't >NEED< to be on snow in August Smile
ski holidays
Steilhang wrote:
@Tubaski, the comments are completely bizarre! Somebody post a video of a glacier in summer and gets a shitstorm about muslims, jews and blacks... rolling eyes

Don't you know Muslims and Jews come from the hot desert of Middle East and love the heat?

They got together to do everything they can to make Europe warmer: cars, boats that burns fossil fuel and emit CO2.

The whole global warming is the Jews and Muslims doing. They profit from the oil and make Europe livable in the long run for their heat loving families.

Sadly, you all fell for their trickery!

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
@abc, ah!
latest report
Dachstein 2006-2016:

snow report
I was at Hintertux yesterday. Wasn't tempted to ski (although snow forecast for today) and the glacier looked in poor condition. Plenty of people skiing though. If I could work out how to post pics from my iPhone I could show the retreating g glacier Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bennyboy1, upload them to Facebook or Flickr, then right click, copy image address, post here between [img][/img] tags.
ski holidays
@Bennyboy1, saw that picture last year. Very sad to see the decline each decade
latest report
These are interesting:-

http://youtube.com/v/9mhtzkXO5SM

http://youtube.com/v/ur4I8tYnxP4

But don't worry, Trump appears to have got a plan to reverse the decline of the glaciers - nuclear winter. Shocked
snow report
Convincing evidence. Rather bad news for our sport Sad
latest report
@clarky999, not on either but will try with snowMedia.

@boabski, it's the big field of rock below Tuxerfernhaus that drills it home for me. Yes sad.
snow report
Its worth mentioning that it's not actually been a particularly hot / sunny summer in the Alps (French Alps at least, can't say for elsewhere!).

June was hot / sunny (3° above average!), but July was about normal (less than 1° above average) and August looks like being below average.

The really hot weather is only just catching the med coast of France (+ Corsica).
ski holidays
They had enough snow in Switzerland to trigger avalanche alerts a few days ago.
ski holidays
Saas Fee glacier looking good this morning - https://panocam.skiline.cc/saas-fee/allalin
snow report
latest report
snow report
snow report
This was the view from Tuxerfernhaus on Thursday.

This morning they were reporting 10cm of fresh snow overnight.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy