Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big White vs. Sun Peaks - Which Canadian resort is better for Snowboarding?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys,

So me and my girlfriend are heading out to Canada next year for a season, We are currently looking at either Big White or Sun Peaks as our resort of choice which are both based in British Columbia. We both Snowboard and are both at a beginnner/intermediate level.

Does anybody have any experience with either of these resorts when it comes to Snowboarding? Any information or advice would be massively appreciated.

Thanks Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Howdy @jflynn92, the question should be which of the two for a season as I'm sure they're both pretty good for snowboarding. But, from what I gather Big White is the pick out of the 2. I haven't been to either but was recently advised to consider BW rather than Whistler for a season.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Both pretty similar I would say by reputation having not skied at either but virtually every other hill in BC. Big White more going on I think and closer to a bigger town when you get cabin fever. Have you got accomodation sorted? I'd have thought that is the major factor in pure resorts as it certainly is in places with bigger towns.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah I ride at those places most years when the snow's good. You missed out Silver Star which is my favourite of that group, but there it is. It depends what you mean by "better for snowboarding". To me, anywhere with good snow is great for snowboarding.

Sun Peaks probably has the largest area, with a relatively small village which feels compact. There aren't that many places to eat or drink up on the hill there. Sun Peaks was Kamloops' town hill and still gets a lot of locals traffic, but not enough to make it busy whenever I've been there.

Big White is a couple of hours down the Okanagan valley from there, basically the town hill for Kelowna. Big White tends to get a lot of Australian visitors. There are more eating/drinking places than Sun Peaks and it's an older more developed resort area. To me this feels a bit more Euro-resort like than Sun Peaks, in that there's a weekly turn over of visitors and a set of seasonaires to look after them. There's a lot of self-catering accommodation. I expect there's slightly more "night life" here than in Sun Peaks, but the place is big enough not to be noisy. There are more restaurants and it's in the wine country... but it's BC so people eat early.

Both have a variety of terrain including some steeper stuff, but most of the piste stuff is entirely intermediate accessible.

So for a season... I'd suggest Big White, because I think there will be more work and more like minded people there (albeit mostly Antipodean) to keep you amused. Kelowna is a more accessible town than Kamloops too, if you have transport.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No experience at all of SP, but spent some time at BW ........ We drove past SP.

Tenuous, I know, but over a few beers people who had done both generally preferred BW.

If you go, for a season, at your level, you'll be heading over eventually to the Gem Lake area, where a lot of it is left ungroomed, Mustang Sally and the like. You'll learn a lot. Enjoy.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Big White very good terrain but not much of a village. Sun Peaks is vast and all runs lead to the village ...great for keeping people together. Skiing 3 mountains surrounding the amazing Bavarian village...feels like you are in the Alps. Great in bounds skiing ..steeps off Morrissey chair on the Laundry mat runs and hike into the Gils for powder and untracked glades. My choice is Sun Peaks....I have skied both for years and that is my suggestion. Great bars in town at the Morrisey
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Big White very good terrain but not much of a village. Sun Peaks is vast and all runs lead to the village ...great for keeping people together. Skiing 3 mountains surrounding the amazing Bavarian village...feels like you are in the Alps. Great in bounds skiing ..steeps off Morrissey chair on the Laundry mat runs and hike into the Gils for powder and untracked glades. My choice is Sun Peaks....I have skied both for years and that is my suggestion. Great bars in town at the Morrisey Pub and Bottoms for locals and old school ski pub.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As others have said both are fine from a purely snowboarding point of view. It really comes down to the off the slope stuff which is the better fit for you, particularly as you are planning to be there for the full season. I'd start with looking at housing options in both places.

Quote:

I haven't been to either but was recently advised to consider BW rather than Whistler for a season.

It's certainly cheaper and accomodation is easier to find. But whistler is the better ski hill by far.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I guess the OP has been and come back since 2017
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy