Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming during the WC slalom week?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
How busy is the town? and the slopes? the ski schools?
We're going to Austria from the 20th of Jan and one of the reasons for going in Jan is to avoid crowds. I don't want to get in a debate about how even in height of the half term there are "barely" any lines for most lifts. I'm looking for small ski school groups (we've had in Wagrain a 2 pupil "group" lesson for one of my boys) and for not crowded pistes (each year it feels more like navigating a tube station at rush hour and less like skiing in some resorts).
So, on one hand the slalom is a draw (and so is the nice nice town for the non skiers) but does it draw crowds (except for race night, for sure)?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think there is a thread somewhere dedicated to this already... but that might just be general world cups.
Schladming is not that much busier on the pistes at all over the night slalom.
It is very much an evening 'do' and is almost completely cleared up by the next morning.
The town will be much, much busier than usual and the aprés will be slightly 'accelerated' too!
There are bus transfers and train services from other local resorts too.
I'll be going in from Radstadt either by taxi, lift or bus without that much effort.
In general the area is big enough an spread out enough to avoid much waiting about.
There can be a wait for the gondolas between 9:30 and 10:30... so just get up earlier wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In my experience, (Chamonix, Val d'Isere, Park City) exactly wot @flangesax, said. Even to the point of hardly knowing it was on.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@flangesax,
Quote:

I think there is a thread somewhere dedicated to this already

I remember that were some threads, but I couldn't find them (about Schladming specifically)
Quote:

The town will be much, much busier than usual and the aprés will be slightly 'accelerated' too

do you mean that evening or the whole week? Apres ski in bars etc is not for us - we're going with the kids (8&12) and my mother (who doesn't ski so going to a larger town is mainly for her)
btw,in your experience, what cheaper tickets are the best for the race
@under a new name, Kitz is different, so wanted to check

thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've been that week. There's the extra work going on to set up the course and grandstands, outdoor bar cafes. The crowds started to arrive in the afternoon and it does get rammed at night, 50,000 people in a town of 5000 I think we were told once. It is only that night though and the course is closed but you can use piste 2 (red) to the bottom of the planai. They had a short slalom course for the punters to have a go on and get your name on the scoreboard Very Happy Afterwards you wouldn't know it had been on. Anything else please ask and I'll see what I can remember Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@HutToHut, thanks. I was a bit concerned that more people are coming for that week, but it seems that it's only the race day party (I want to go). Did you use a ski school ?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@sugardaddy, No we didn't use a ski school. Nursery slopes looked to be around the Weitmooslift area and Rohrmoos if that helps location wise.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@HutToHut, thanks, we're going to stay in the center (or v close by). I've briefly looked into staying in Rohrmoos but my mother is coming with us and for her it's important to be close to the center.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@sugardaddy, the busses are excellent, regular and only take a few minutes to get from town to Rohrmoos (and back). We've just had a summer holiday in Schladming and the only time our car moved was when we drove up to Dachstein, we used the bus or cycled. We've used them in winter too when we stayed at the far end of the Hochwurzen area (in the middle of nowhere, which I wouldn't recommend, but it served our purpose fine).

I would probably say that it's easier to meet for lunch at Hochwurzen than the Planai, if your mother would be planning to meet you during the day at all.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The buses are pretty good, but bear in mind that some routes and stops are altered or moved to accommodate the night race. We missed the last bus home from Hauser Kaibling one evening and the bus driver going the wrong way hearing this rang a taxi for us, we like the ski bus service Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy