Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas fee for me?

Poster: A snowHead
I had my heart set on Austria for 20th January 2018 but have been recommended Saas Fee and am seriously considering booking!

Is a picturesque village
It is snow-sure
Is good for beginners and intermediates
Lots of nice restaurants

But my only gripe is the transfer time of 3 hours and the cost of skis and passes!!! (crystalski prices)

Would it be best to buy passes and skis when at the Resort?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went to Italy with Crystal in January - On the transfer bus they were charging the same as price as you would pay 'in resort'

I would wait - then you can choose to buy off the REP or DIY
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crystal
area lift pass and intermediate skis for 6 days is £423
standard ski boots for 6 days is £73

That seems very expensive to me, is it because Switzerland is known to be expensive? Surely I will be able to pick them up in Resort a lot cheaper??!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I haven't rented in Saas-Fee for years, but I can remember paying around £300 for top end platinum skis for 2 weeks, so even allowing for inflation and exchange rate movements the prices seem excessive.

One of the biggest sports shops is Cesar Sport, so you could book your rentals in advance, but their website is currently not responding, for a price check - http://www.cesarsport.ch/

Another big shop is Glacier Sport, who are part of Intersport, they are showing between CHF 140 - 280 on adult skis for 6 days - http://www.intersportglacier.ch

I used both in the past.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@NewSki, You can look at the area lift pass prices for last winter online, the prices you quote don't look out of line. There may also be some currency hedging by Crystal if they are quoting it in pounds.

There looks to be an offer of cheap season passes if bought now though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NewSki wrote:
I had my heart set on Austria for 20th January 2018 but have been recommended Saas Fee and am seriously considering booking!

Is a picturesque village
It is snow-sure
Is good for beginners and intermediates
Lots of nice restaurants

All of these are true - it really is exceptionally pretty, and has one of the best beginner/beginner progression areas I have seen, right at village level.

How are you transferring? If you take public transport, it's one train for most of the journey direct from either Geneva or Zürich airports, followed by a post bus for the last bit up from Visp. I don't mind spending a while on a train - much prefer it to 3 hours on a coach, though that wouldn't put me off, either tbh.

I have heard they will be running the lift pass offer again this year though have not seen it in writing. This was 222 CHF for a whole season last year, which became a good deal even if just for a week. So would hold and wait to see if that come off first unless Crystal are offering a significant discount. EDIT: it is on again, 233 CHF this year.

Ski/boot hire does tend to be expensive in Switzerland, though you do then get pretty good and well serviced kit for your money. Have a look online at the local shops to see what the going rate is. The walk up price won't be cheaper than online.

IMO Saas Fee is good value for Switzerland... but nowhere in Switzerland is going to be bargain basement prices.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Buy a season pass for Saas Fee here for 233 CHF:

https://www.we-make-it-happen.ch/index.html

These might sell out, I'm not 100% sure if they are limited or not, so just do it as soon as you have decided that you are going to go to Saas Fee, it is an absolute steal at that price and should make a trip there good value

*Just don't brag about it too loudly on the transfer bus while other guests are paying the full whack for their week pass
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As others have said, it is all of those things. Saas fee is one of my favourite resorts, one I like more than a lot of larger, more famous places.

The snowsure, extremely high mountains surrounding the village (the resort claims 18 4000m peaks in the vicinity) and northerly orientation can mean sunshine is a bit sparse least at village level until later in the season. However, January isn't really "sitting on the deck of an apres bar" season so that's probably less of an issue.

Mountain restaurant-wise, three stick in my memory. The rotating restaurant right at the top of the lift system and the mountain hut at langfluh are both well worth a visit because of the absolutely mind boggling views (the food is also pretty good but generally in a swiss cheesy style). Gletschergrotte is worth a visit for the food and/or a warming drink on the way home: charming hut set away from the piste on it's own track in the woods.

Finally, the ski pass includes bus travel services to two other ski areas in the valley (both about 10 mins on the bus). Saas grund (Hohsaas) in particular is well worth a visit, with some long reds and blues and brilliant views of the mountains around saas fee
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brought up in the Grands Montets thread that I was starting to have second thoughts of sticking with our plan in Chamonix. We loved staying in Argentiere last time but somehow my heart wasn't fully sold on going back to Chamonix next spring. Cancelled our hotel and booked a family room at The Larix, right at the bottom of the pistes. Maybe not a fancy hotel but absolutely love the location. We'll be traveling with two kids so the convenience is great.

Look forward to some tips for the family. Also, how easy is it to grab your car in the car park and head over the Zermatt? If not Zermatt, Aletsch Arena? (I know... totally different)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@NewSki, Saas Fee is one of my favourite resorts and been several times... though not for a while now. Partly as wanted to try other places but also because it is damn pricey (as are most Swiss resorts).

The lift pass, if not on the bargain annual deal, is expensive but the other thing to bear in mind is the cost of food and drinks on the mountain and in the village. If you can get a good half board deal then you can avoid spending too much.

It is a lovely place and definitely worth trying if budget allows, the feel of the village and the views on the mountain are spectacular. If you're not tied to Jan I'd be inclined to go later in the season, mid March would be perfect whilst still avoiding the school hols and it's less dark than in January.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Indeed, mid-March Smile

I'm wondering how the food costs will be... we managed to make Chamonix reasonably affordable so we'll see how it works out in Saas Fee. Either way, my skis have yet to touch snow in Switzerland (other than going off piste in Vallorcine) so it will be exciting to go.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ItaloSkier, well the food costs did involve a sharp intake of breath and heart palpitations a few times Smile That said I've not been to Chamonix and suspect that isn't exactly bargain territory either!

I haven't done Zermatt from Saas Fee, doing it on the coach was a right old slog from what I heard from others but having your own car might make it more doable. Not quick though either way. I'd be inclined not to bother and do the Zermatt slopes properly another time either from Zermatt itself or from Cervinia which is my only experience of Zermatt to date (was great and definitely recommend!).

Saas Fee slopes aren't as extensive but unless you're a real must have high mileage skier there's plenty for a week with nice variety between the main slopes and Platjen and you also have the other valley resorts easily accessible on the bus or with your car. The top to bottom ski from the revolving restaurant at the top is fantastic if not a little leg burning!

Edited for terrible autocorrect wording cock ups! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Rowlski, I think you'll find that Newski went 8 months ago Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Probably of little interest to the original poster (as he went eight months ago!), but the Saas-Fee knock-out deal for a pre-bought season pass is now 255 CHF (I managed to get them at 222 CHF earlier in the offer period). The deal runs until October 31 and means that you are in profit on your fourth day compared to prices of daily or weekly passes.

https://www.saas-fee.ch/wintercard/en/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Doh! I hadn't noticed that it was @ItaloSkier who had bumped the thread Embarassed

But as @ItaloSkier is off there hopefully still relevant. That knock-out deal is amazing given you get the season for less than a week, well worthwhile!
latest report
Yes, I bumped it. Saas Fee was not on our radar up until very recently. That said, I'm going to keep watching the Winter Card deal. We'll be there 6 days so the pass will absolutely be a savings and will cost less than we would have paid with a family of four buying MBU passes in Chamonix.
ski holidays
Well I'm sure you will have a great time @ItaloSkier. Will have to see if I can find the name of the place but there is a fantastic restaurant at the very, very far end of the village - you have to walk a good bit beyond most of the houses - but is well worth it for a treat (not cheap even by Saas-Fee standards!).

The revolving restaurant is a must and actually good for a pause anyway as the rapid increase in altitude going up there can have an effect. Top of Platjen area is also a good lunch spot as well as the Gletschergrotte already mentioned above.
snow report
@ItaloSkier, Gleschergrotte is highly recommended and I found much friendlier than the others, although I skied there in November and not all runs and restaurants were open. I can give you a great tip. If going up in the Funicular railway make sure you climb up the stairs at the bottom to the front of the train, as you will find climbing up the stairs at the top isn’t to be recommended at that altitude.
ski holidays
@ItaloSkier, I skied in Zermatt later in that season after a week in Wengen, so drove from Wengen to Zermatt. I did a detour on the way to Zermatt via Saas Fee for a half day of skiing, and visited the Gletschergrotte and had a great welcome as they recognised me straight away. It’s a great resort with spectacular scenery and a great glacier.
ski holidays
"If going up in the Funicular railway make sure you climb up the stairs at the bottom to the front of the train, as you will find climbing up the stairs at the top isn’t to be recommended at that altitude." - that's a solid tip!

I spent the bulk of my teens and 20s skiing in Colorado where altitudes are higher and can mostly manage but, of course, now I'm 47 and all my ligaments were intact. We'll see. Back in the day, A-Basin was my favorite and the base was above 3,000 meters. I love the high altitude but, yes, even when younger, trudging it up in boots to ski down from a higher spot was never a joy. Thank you.

Thanks, all. Can't wait. @geepee do you remember what it was like transferring from Saas Fee to Zermatt with a car?
snow conditions
@ItaloSkier, Saas Fee to Zermatt isn’t a long trip with a car. I can’t remember how long but it seemed at the time to be a small diversion on the way from Wengen to Zermatt.
latest report
@geepee, Is there a lift for the funicular as there is one at the Sunnega funicular in Zermatt?
latest report
We are going to Sass Fee for a few days, and then to Zermatt. We have done Zermatt a number of times, and as both Saas and Zermatt are car free would have thought public transport better?
If anyone has taken the bus from Saas to Stalden to pick up the train I would love to hear.
For larry1950 there is it would appear.
ski holidays
In addition to the above, Can you ski to the whole of the Saas fee area from the top of the Hannig lift? The ski map suggests not, - again love to know as our hotel is by the Hannig lift!
snow report
Hi. When are you going to Saas Fee. We were in a hotel, the Europa, by the Hannig lift last Easter but that lift is not for skiers, but for walking and the toboggan run. It is a trek down the town to either of the main lifts
latest report
first week of March, I suspected it was little use to us, however the Hotel does a good shuttle service. Thanks for clarifying
ski holidays
twoodwar wrote:
In addition to the above, Can you ski to the whole of the Saas fee area from the top of the Hannig lift? The ski map suggests not, - again love to know as our hotel is by the Hannig lift!

The Hannig is not a ski lift any more (it was its own self-contained area when I first went there in the 1980s). But it's used only for access to a toboggan run and footpaths these days. It's quite a trek from the Hannig to the main lifts, I'm afraid.
ski holidays
@larry1950, Only just seen this, but I don’t think so.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seems like the Wintercard is unlikely to happen this year. See: https://www.saas-fee.ch/wintercard/en/

Are there other ways to get discounts on lift tickets (not passes) to Saas-Fee? Family packages, buying early online, etc?
snow conditions
ItaloSkier wrote:
Seems like the Wintercard is unlikely to happen this year. See: https://www.saas-fee.ch/wintercard/en/

Are there other ways to get discounts on lift tickets (not passes) to Saas-Fee? Family packages, buying early online, etc?

I wouldn't worry too much just yet; if I recall correctly, they didn't reach the target number last year but still honoured the deal. After all, 11 million CHF up front is quite good for the early season cash-flow!
latest report
The deal has been extended to November 4, pass is ment to start today but no lifts open due to avalanche blasting still going
snow conditions
Sass Fee was looking magnificent yesterday! Happy days with that base for anyone who’s got a season pass!

Snow should be pretty deep in the snow park too 😳
https://www.instagram.com/p/BppDMAkHePS/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1qs8w5l32ljhx
snow report
Yesterday, J2ski posted a forecasted 190+ cm of snow for the next week in Saas Fee.
snow conditions
ItaloSkier,

Where's the Larix? Can we assume it's in Saas Fee? Puzzled

Edit: just read your subsequent post... wink
snow conditions
Ah... OK... an absurdly convenient location. Maybe not the fanciest but looks nice and the situation next to the slopes, the lifts, ski school meeting point is absolutely top!
latest report
ItaloSkier wrote:
Yesterday, J2ski posted a forecasted 190+ cm of snow for the next week in Saas Fee.

As much as I like J2ski, their snow forecasts are, more often than not, very optimistic!

As for the Knockout deal, the deal was honoured Very Happy I now possess the paperwork for two season passes for Saas Fee for the princely sum of £347.96 - much cheaper than two week-long passes!
snow report
I haven't seen an e-mail from Saas Fee, yet. Hmmm...
ski holidays
ItaloSkier wrote:
I haven't seen an e-mail from Saas Fee, yet. Hmmm...

I didn't get an e-mail either. Checked my credit card statement and then logged on to my Saas Fee account where the docs for the pass were stored!
snow report
Ah, ok. Will have to look.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy