Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you take dogs on chairlifts ?

Poster: A snowHead
Well yes if they are in bags Toofy Grin

This was today, on my third and final attempt to find the ski I lost back in February in an avalanche off Cibouit, and no luck again, like trying to find a needle in a haystack in the forest.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Seen quite a few on chair lifts, smaller dogs tend to be carried and sat on a lap. Friend takes his lab up who sits on the seat quite happily.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've seen plenty of Ski Patrol dogs on chair lift.

I've also seen one treat a T-Bar as a continuous 'stick' throwing device, catching each one until the tension was too high, letting go and catching the next one Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, Wondering out loud here, would those find my keys things work if attached to a ski ......
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes. Bag not required with reasonably sized and competent dog.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, rules is rules here, no bag no dog on lift.

Surely lifties do not know if a dog is competent or not ??

And what if said reasonably sized dog decides to freak out on the lift, then you'd have a situation...........
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Weathercam, can't say I'd get my two in a bag easily. They've apparently stopped dogs going in the Ratier in winter now. We've definitely been on there before with our old dog Meg (probably in the old cable car). Not sure about summer as I think we've had Lola on it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam, we have taken our dog, a Cockerpoo who weighs just under 10 kg very successfully round practically all the chairlifts that are open in the PDS. We have a harness that we put on just before getting on the lift and David has a very short piece of rope attached to the harness and onto his belt. We were advised locally here that they can refuse to let you take the dog but it helps to look as if you know what you are doing. D picks Coco up under his right arm, I go on the right and carry the two rucksacks and both sets of poles. She then sits between us, and usually one of us puts a hand behind her bum as some of the seats have quite large gaps.
So far so good, it worked well last year, but we've only taken one chairlift so far this week as cold and wet here. She is 'a bit of an expert' when it comes to gondolas as she goes in them a lot in the winter.
Interesting that your area require bags, we took a little Yorkypoo a few years ago when our son and DIL were on honeymoon, and we were a little nervous then, not having had a dog for 30 years at that stage, and do we used to put Poppy in a rucksack to start with but that just made her scrabble around, so she ended up just being held.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, been up twice with fully grown ridgeback, who I understand travelled chairs pretty frequently.

Not sure what bag he'd have fitted in (parapente?)...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hells Bells wrote:
@Weathercam, can't say I'd get my two in a bag easily. ......

If you do, a photo is essential, or maybe better still, a video Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Pamski, they don't allow dogs on the gondolas in winter now in Serre Che. They don't allow them in Val Thorens any more either. We've had Lola on the Cairn before, but J tried to take Lola and Ben on there recently and was refused. They eventually let him go up. Apparently worried how a dog would react in a rescue situation.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Hells Bells, I am sure Coco would rescue me! Interesting how there are different rules in different places.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I saw a german shepherd in Bansko a few years ago that rode the chairs. It just waited for the chair and jumped on when it came and sat down. It was so keen it often jumped the queue and got on one or two chairs ahead of it's owner.

There was a dog rode the ski bus on it's own in LaRos' when I was there 2 years ago. It got off at the bottom lift station to meet it's owner (ski instructor) at the end of the afternoon.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@adithorp, a bar owner in our village had a dog who used to ride the ski bus from Chantemerle to Villeneuve. Duke was always first on the bus and took up a double seat at the front.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Flaine has introduced (discretionary) dog crates on the DMC this summer. I was told it was best practice for rescue situations (abseiling from height and stranger entry into the gondola on a rope). We weren't asked to put our dog into one however.
snow report
No probs here in the summer with the gondola up from Chantmerle and the Ratier cable car.

Think in the summer with chairs that they have to be careful as you do get many tourists who might be visiting the mountains for the first time and may not be used to chairlifts and as dog owners know, some owners can not exactly be in control of their dogs but would not admit to that and not see a problem as to why they could not take their pooch up on a chair!
ski holidays
Quote:

No probs here in the summer with the gondola up from Chantmerle and the Ratier cable car.

Glad to hear it, it didn't used to be a problem in winter either. When I had hurty knee I used to meet family up at Café Soleil for lunch, but guests last winter told me they weren't allowed to take their dog on.
snow report
@Weathercam, Gorgeous photos of your dogs Cool
ski holidays
@Weathercam, Awesome, miss ours.....might have to get one soon, its been 6 years since we lost ours.
ski holidays
@Markymark29, and they love single track, and no problem keeping up with me as I go so slow rolling eyes
latest report
@Weathercam, don't believe you! You'll be fast I'm sure Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I've seen dogs take the resort bus by themselves in Val d'Isere a number of times. I love it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy