Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First ski lift you ever went on?

Poster: A snowHead
Seeing as the "first lift" topic wasn't what we thought, what WAS the first ski lift you ever went on? I presume for most of us it was a nursey slope tow of some sort...

Mine was the nursery slope button lift in Les Deux Alpes, way back in 1988!! Fell off that thing a LOT.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Eiger Nordwand bitchez!

OK so really it was a little bunny rope on the Jungfraujoch for an hour one summer on a camping hol before weeks of hiking for epic plastic turns in the mighty Tranmere Alps.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Way back in '86 first ski hol to Soldeu, there was two ways to get to the mid station and ski school, a two man chair with a big queue or a drag lift with no queue. The 21year old, heavily hung over me, ignored my brothers warning that it was steep and if I fell off, the only way down was a heavily mogulled red run. I managed to stay on till halfway up which was not a good thing as it meant that not only was my fist lift a "red" poma, my first ski run was a heavily mogulled red !
Shocked
Some time later, I joined the queue for the chair lift Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Drag lift at Ski Snowdonia onto plastic rug.

@Dave of the Marmottes, didn't know you were from the Wirral
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Possibly the yoghurt pots in Flaine, although there may have been a button lift before that.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Palafour at Tignes, my mates thought it was hilarious, took me all morning to get to the bottom Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zakopane in a field by the ski jump.
Some metal T-Bar contraption Smile
Great memories
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Poma button in Les Agudes, on French exchange, C 1971.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sunny side Pima at Glenshee, fell off about 10 times, it was a brute.

Andy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski Rossendale drag, then on first snow holiday a drag in Misurina. Lots of falling off before I mastered it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mine was the drag lift on the alpe de great orme in Llandudno, the scariest thing was the altitude sickness like symptoms upon reaching the dizzy heights of 200m above sea level.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
School ski trip in 1971 to Reith bei Brixlegg, there was this strange solo gondola made out of fibreglass which was a bit like a "Bubblecar". Fully enclosed with a little window, bright orangy/red as well.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some local ski club's wire tow in Petrosani, Romania. We were presented with a bar with two pins at one end. You dropped them over the wire and then held on to the other end to go. At the top you had to pull yourself forwards and then disengage the pins. Impressed by all the kids under instruction going round corners on one ski.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rope lift on Mount Cook, New Zealand - about 1961 - on school trip. We each had a 'nut cracker' grip roped to our waists. We were in workman boots, with a groove ground in the heels to take cable bindings on wooden skis. Thus balancing as the rope snatched one away took some learning - and falls were routine. Assuming I did get away, I then had to feed the rope over pulleys as I was pulled up the slope. This too was difficult, but I made things even more difficult for the following skier if I didn't manage it. Even so, we had a great time.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some rope lift on the nursery slopes in Santa Caterina, then an old slow (even for ~1995 standards) very cold 15+ minute chair up to the main mountain.

I'd love to go back - looks like some really great terrain in the right conditions!

snow report
@Matrski,
Your head is 200m above sea level when you're stood on the beach Very Happy
ski holidays
I'm not sure if it still there but it was a single seat chair on the flanks of the Tofana near Cortina, near Pocul IIRC. I jumped on clutching by rucksack to my chest wondering how I was going to getoff and what happened at the end. It was agreat way to get over the grind to the bottom of the crag. It was years later that I realised that these things were also used for skiing. I cannot remeber the year exactly but it was probably late 70's
ski holidays
It was probably a rope tow at Bebington Oval back in 1987/88 (if they had one, can't really remember). First proper lift would be a drag lift at Alpe d'Huez that same season - first ski holiday. I recall falling off a lot. In fact it took at least 20 years before I stopped falling off drag lifts Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Rope tow at Mendip dry ski slope just outside Bristol. Otherwise, the J Kaserwald II T bar at Axamer Lizum.

Took my (then) two year old daughter on the Golf out of Meribel village earlier this year. Think she got the better deal.
snow report
Old school button lift, on beginner slope in Saas Fee, Winter 72/73.
snow conditions
geoffknight wrote:

@Dave of the Marmottes, didn't know you were from the Wirral

I'm not but my grannie lived over there.
snow conditions
Poma in Passo Tonale.
ski holidays
clarky999 wrote:
Some rope lift on the nursery slopes in Santa Caterina, then an old slow (even for ~1995 standards) very cold 15+ minute chair up to the main mountain.

I'd love to go back - looks like some really great terrain in the right conditions!

Went there in 1985 aged 17. Great memories thanks to Katie from Orpington Blush
ski holidays
@altis, wrote : "..We were presented with a bar with two pins at one end. You dropped them over the wire and then held on to the other end to go.."

same for me - but on a rope tow at RAF Troodos (Cyprus), along with Leather boots and Cable bindings.... !!
snow report
Like Honeybunny I was on the drag lifts in LDA but in 1992. As it was Olympic year, it seemed like the whole France had put its holidays back to the week I went away. The queues for the drags were at least 30-40 mins a pop. My thighs and knees were on fire!
Later on my first day I was taken up the mountain by my so called friends and they made me take a T bar. Trauma. That was also the year where the queue for the gondola was so long people got very grumpy and two big french guys ended up having a punch up right infront of me!
latest report
Tamworth rope-tow, first proper one would be Discovery chair at Mammoth.
latest report
Would have been "Le Grand Barbat" chair at Cauterets in the French pyrenees.
snow report
Cant be sure but by deduction I think it may have been a button lift or Tbar at Bichlbach near lermoos, in 1970 or 1971 ?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't remember, Engleberg, 1972, four years old.
latest report
Can't remember if my first lift was at The Lecht or Cairngorm. If it was The Lecht then it would have been a wee rope tow. If it was Cairngorm then it would have been the, now defunct, two man chair that went from the carpark. As shown here:

http://youtube.com/v/xD7-brUuEHM
snow report
Glencoe 1967 ....... on this thing!
snow report
Bracknell drag lift. Then Ahornbahn
snow conditions
Button lift on some nursery slope in livigno in '66 as a young child. Still remember it clearly and that feeling of pure joy when I made it to the top for the first time. Very Happy
snow report
Xscape MK Magic Carpet, graduated to the poma after a little while.

First lift in a proper resort was a drag lift in Alpe d'Huez.
snow conditions
Rope tow at Xscape followed a couple of hours later by the Poma there.
Then Rhodos1+2 cabin in Meribel followed by the Altiport chair about 30 times that day
latest report
Clotes lift in Sauze. I went up with a fellow beginner and we both fell getting off.

This might have been because we both planted our poles and got a good push off.

I planted my pole between my fellow beginners skis and she repeated the offence. The liftie was not paying attention and there must have been 8 skiers in the pile before he stopped the lift.
ski holidays
Christmas 2012, Magic Carpet at Mount St Louis Moonstone just north of Toronto. Closely followed by the glamourously named "Gentle Ben Triple" which provided access to this piece of gnar (not my video)

http://youtube.com/v/stPc0wGANyg

We were only there for the afternoon and the runs seemed steep at the time...honest. Even though I only skied for about 3 hours it was enough to get bitten by the bug, first proper ski trip followed in March 2014, done 8 more since and aiming for 4 this season.
latest report
Rope tow at Rushden dry slope in 1979...no grip left by the end of the session!
snow report
HoneyBunny wrote:
Seeing as the "first lift" topic wasn't what we thought, what WAS the first ski lift you ever went on? I presume for most of us it was a nursey slope tow of some sort...

Mine was the nursery slope button lift in Les Deux Alpes, way back in 1988!! Fell off that thing a LOT.

Same for me. A few goes on that then it was up the Diable.
snow report
First physical lift was on the rope pull at Bassingbourn Barracks Dry Slope in late 1986 for 6 weekly lessons, first proper lift on snow would have been the Village lifts in Saas-Fee in March 1987. I can remember going up and it taking the entire 2 hour morning lesson to come down that massive slope Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy