Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
durr, I forgot...
Or Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Di Fassa.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have taken the plunge and booked a trip to Val Di Fassa at New Year.

We are a family of four, husband (level 9), wife (level 5/6), 8 year old (level 7) and 5 year old (level 5).

http://www.insideoutskiing.com/level.html

Having never been, what is the resort like (and the wider Dolomites in general).

Are there any particular pistes that we should avoid or make a bee line for ?

We are staying in Canazei and the ski school that Crystal use is Scuola sci marmolada. Does anyone have any experience of them ?

We booked Val Di Fassa beacuse of the artificial snow making capacity as it's early season. Hard, icy pistes will teach our eldest son how to use his edges properly Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report     
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@JoyZipper, Canazei is well situated for acess to the Sella Ronda. If you look at this Piste map you'll see that from Canazei you can take the gondola lift from Canazei to Pecol and from there up to the Belvedere area where there is some lovely skiing in its own right. The Belvedere area is also on the Sella Ronda circuit for both clockwise and anti-clockwise directions. If you take the anticlockwise direction from Belvedere you next reach the slopes above Arabba, from which it is a short connection to the Marmolada glacier. There is a 3 stage cable car to the top of the glacier, at the top of the second cable car there is an interesting free museum about the WW1 fighting there (between Austrians and Italians). There are great views from the top but best to pick a clear day for that, skiing down from the top of the glacier in poor visibility is not much fun. wink. From Canazei although it's a fair distance it's also possible to do the Hidden Valley run, see this thread for more info.

By the way, it's not just Val di Fassa but the whole Sella Ronda area that has excellent artificial snow making, the pisteurs there are masters at maintaining the pistes even if the natural snow should be on the scarce side. Very Happy

I've no experience of the ski school in Canazei.
snow report     
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Check out this guide posted by CameronPhillips

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2842844&highlight=fassa#2842844
snow report     
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the information - all food for thought. An excellent youtube clip too Cameron Phillips - thanks for taking the time.
latest report     
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One thing I would say is that for your level 5 (and 5/6) then the first morning onto Belvedere plan carefully what to do. The reason is that pretty much all of the runs are actually rated red - although none of them are really difficult. Once you get up the gondola you have to take one of two other lifts (either gondola or cable car) and the cable car deposits you at a place with a reasonably steep first pitch. So, first morning out with no skiing under the belt in recent past and somebody who fits the description of "I can ski on blue runs" may not be the greatest start. In practice in the area a lot of it is graded red but might be graded blue elsewhere so it does depend on the individual as well. I think the second gondola brings you onto the plateau (albeit busy-ish) and then if you pick the shorter of the two chairs in that area you can have some nice easy warm ups before going back down to the bottom of the second gondola.

The alternative is to go up the valley from Canazei (eg via bus) to Alba and uplift there on Ciampac cable car, at the top is an easy section (but if you take the chairlift at the top of the cable car, get off at the half way point for an easy run).

You should certainly do the Skitour Panorama as well, including the lovely tree run down to Pozza di Fassa but note there is a long flat run out at the bottom. One the way back when you get above Alba, let the others download on Ciampac cable car while you enjoy the black run down that face under the cable car.
latest report     
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the information Steve.
snow conditions     
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh, good, a Val di Fassa thread. I'm going in January so shall take note of the tips. snowHead
snow conditions     
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@JoyZipper, you're most welcome.
@Cinsha, there are a few other v useful threads out here on this part of the Dolomites and there are certainly a few of us snowHeads around who know the area fairly well Happy so feel free to ask ....
ski holidays     
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @SteveM,

I was gonna check for threads nearer the time and will do.
snow report     

Derived from phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group & 2004-2013 snowHeads.com Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy