Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge delamination - what would you do?

Poster: A snowHead
A short section on one edge of my Rossi Hero M18s - just under two years old - is delaminating. A bit disappointing as they've had only had 4 weeks use - including a week of race training, but almost no bumps.

see pictures

I bought them from Glisshop, who want me to send them back (at my expense) so they can send to Rossi to investigate. Problem is that might well leave me without training skis for much of the season.

If it's just cosmetic, or can be patched up, I don't really care. But if it's going to let water into the core and cause the skis to fail, I obviously do.

Would welcome thoughts...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We had this happen on some atomic junior FIS SL skis and the ski tech advice was that it was unrepairable and dangerous to ski on (I think because the edge could break away). I think you need to get them back to Rossi but maybe you could get the photos to Rossi directly and get their advice beofre you spend money on shipping etc.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@turbosmurf, Send them back they are no good to you as they are, they'll get worse. I'd email photos to Glisshop first and get them to agree to postage, or take it up with UK rep for Rossignol as a warranty claim direct, they need sorting i'd suggest.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had similar spotted earlier by a ski tech who showed me the tiny but clear sign of an impact that I hadn't noticed.

After a bit of google and head scratch I did an excellent repair myself with some vices, wood blocks, epoxy and some cocktail sticks.

I have to say that it looks to me as from your photos that there is an impact mark at the central point of the delam, slight but there nonetheless and whether this is sufficient to cause the delay or not I suspect that Gliss/Rossi will claim that it is.

Get the Araldite out is what I would do !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had the same on a pair of Salomon XT850s a few years ago. At it was the tails I could do a repair with epoxy and it held OK. Problem was: I could feel that any stiffness had gone and they were just nasty to ski on. Downgraded them to rock-hoppers and then binned them at the end of the season (I'd had fair use out of them - over 20 weeks - so not bothered about chasing the manufacturer).

Since yours have only had 4 weeks' use, I'd send them back. Given above experience, my concern over attempts to repair is the integrity of the ski and its performance, esp. if you intend to train on them.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@turbosmurf, Fair points raised above regards impact damage, once happened to me with a pair of Volkl Mantras and I got nowhere, glued them myself and they were never the same, binned 'em season end. Do they owe you much? Maybe worth buying a new pair and glueing them yourself and using them as rock hoppers as above........it could take a lot of hassle to get sorted, thats the downside of buying overseas they wont have a UK warranty.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's usually some impact damage associated with things like this - if you have a friendly UK rep or tech you can access who'll assess based on photos I might try that - usually the brands outsource to people like CEM, spyderjon & Anything Techical for warranty claim review anyway. You can probably ski them like that (I've skied with bits of edge hanging out so that is small beer notwithstanding the edge might pop eventally) or as above do an epoxy and clamp job yourself. Just depends on how perfect you need a training ski to be.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd have to say that I think skis should be able to handle quite a bit of abuse given their intended design... looks to me like a factory warranty claim.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, You'd think so, agreed but Volkl told me that because i'd had a fall at speed and the ski I had delaminated had had a tip impact then it fell outside their responsibility and was abuse etc.....I've never bought Volkl again wink I dont suppose they've missed me, I certainly havent missed them.....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Beyond repair. Send them back ad cross your fingers.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all - appreciate all the advice and experience. They've done an L3 tech prep course, two weeks pootling with friends and family, and then a week of race training.

There's no impact damage - these have had the easiest life of any skis I've owned. I don't think I've even popped out of them yet, let alone hit anything. Obviously the race training puts a fair amount of stress through them. Think it has to be a manufacturing defect, although I suppose they may not take my word for that. The last trip was race training in Stelvio (haven't tuned since): the snow was really thin at the runouts at the bottom of the drags, so the odd stone came through and the top sheets got quite scratched too. The skis looked almost new new before that trip and surprisingly battered afterwards.

I sent Glisshop photos, but they say as they are more than a year old, I pay for postage. Think I'll try @jedster's idea of contacting Rossignol directly. Will let you know.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@TQA, I'd agree on that as well. NO idea how much humidity might have got in ...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just a thought, have you forgot to release the bindings from the vice when waxing? Probably barking up the wrong tree
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sledger, how would that hurt?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@under a new name, well it probably needs a proper ski tech to explain properly... but when you heat the ski base it goes in to reverse camber so if the binding is clamped there will be a force pulling the edge and base layers away from the binding screws. If you look at the photos the damage is close to where the screws would be for the binding plate. On the other hand I could be talking bollxxxs
ski holidays
@sledger, The race plate would allow the ski to flex even if the bindings were fixed to a vice, the bindings are fixed anyway by the boot when you are skiing.
ski holidays
Had this happen on some cham87 . Started small then The wood core got wet and expanded pushed the two halves apart.
ski holidays
@turbosmurf, i would think it is a send them back to Glisshop i am afraid, it will almost certainly be the quickest way to get it sorted... Rossignol in the UK is brought in through an independent distributor rather than an agent or subsidiary, any warranty on a product is handled by the country where it was purchased, this has become more apparent over the past few years when resort shops have refused to deal with warranties of product bought in the UK, the situation is only likely to get more polarized after the end of march next year

good luck getting it sorted
snow conditions
It's not simply cossmetic, and really renders them unusable at the moment. Could be just the start, if its a manufacturing defect there may be others, if you try to fix it you'll never know. And you'll never have the same level of confidense in the skis.
Get thjem back to Rossi direct if you can ASAP so that they can investigate. Try to get an understandig from them as to what the corrective action would be, will they repair, replace, offer discount on another pair. I would have thought that replacement from dealer stock or directly would be the simplest method.
snow report
Quote:

when you heat the ski base it goes in to reverse camber

Puzzled Puzzled
latest report
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

when you heat the ski base it goes in to reverse camber

Puzzled Puzzled

Happens with Fischer race skis, never had a pair delaminate though.
snow report
@rjs, how hot are you heating them?
ski holidays
@under a new name, Not very hot at all. Iron is usually set to 100C, only need warm weather wax these days.
snow report
@under a new name, all of my skis do this when I wax them - have a look next time you're waxing.
ski holidays
Rossi UK told me to send them back to Glisshop. The mail was clearly from someone who's first language wasn't English - consistent with there not really being such a thing as Rossi UK, as b]@CEM[/b] says.

I'll send them off - only postage to lose; think as most people say a repair is unlikely to work.

Doubt it's servicing; I think I've only waxed them two or three times, and using the same procedure as other skis I've waxed a lot more often. I tend to have vice jaws loose on the race plate rather than the ski anyway.

Thanks again everyone.
latest report
@sledger, i have staff to do my waxings. Skis, sacks, backs and cracks.
latest report
@rjs, but seriously, you saying your skis go from ( to ) with a waxing iron?

Wow.
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@rjs, but seriously, you saying your skis go from ( to ) with a waxing iron?

Wow.

Yep. It's obvious that you really do have staff to wax your skis Toofy Grin

And usually the more metal layers the more they move, ie bi-metallic strips and all that.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@spyderjon, well, back in the day when I did do my own waxing, I think metal layers had only just been invented.

I was bloody lucky to have ptex bases and a clip in heel, let me tell you.
snow report
@under a new name, Luxury!!! We 'ad t' nail our skis to our feet.

Well when I say ski, twere two pieces of burning wood, but twere a ski t' us.
snow conditions
@Scarpa, I was being quite serious. ... well... mostly.

I did have p-tex bases and Salomon 222s.

https://goo.gl/images/FzgDdK
ski holidays
I sent the skis back to Glisshop and they replaced them within a couple of days (plus shipping both ways).

They can't have had time to send them on to Rossignol - they must have just replaced from stock.

To be fair it was much more obvious from inspecting the skis than it was from the photos that there was no impact or other damage, but I am still impressed. It only cost me one way shipping, and that because they were more than 12 months old.
ski holidays
Great result and good to hear Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy