Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Removing vaseline from ski bases

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Vaseline blocking future penetration? Oh the irony. Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tubaski wrote:
Vaseline blocking future penetration? Oh the irony. Shocked

Laughing

If the OP had used KY Jelly there'd be no problem Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Replying to an old thread here.
Been a Master racer for couple of seasons and ski racer parent for 5 seasons already.
I have to wax skis daily and clean skis after skiing on 'mud' in skidomes. And I am talking expensive race skis.
The cost and time spent on hot waxing make you innovative. I am sharing some experiences here.

Hard wax is just high molecular weight hydrocarbons. There are also lower weight hydrocarbons also known as paraffins or waxes. Yes they are less durable (last shorter on your skibase), but they work the same with respect to snow crystals and moisture.
Now go read about what vaseline is.
It is in fact excellent stuff for skis. It is a petroleum jelly - a mix of paraffin liquids and solids.
Most spray on or paste based race waxes are the same stuff + some fluoro, just x10-x20 more expensive.

We have tried a lot of types of unconventional 'waxes' with good results. If you need quick wax or ski cleanup after skiing on dirty snow, then charcoal fuel (check the label for what it is - liquid paraffins) or any other type of liquid paraffin (ask at your local pharmacy) is the best. Just make sure it is free of colorants, scents and other extras.

The trick with vaseline or liquid paraffin is to wipe it off really well. Let it soak for couple of min and wipe it well with lint free paper (blue window cleaning paper is perfect) until the base is shiny (not matte) and slippery.
And to get rid of it completely just do a hot wax - high molecular weight hydrocarbons from solid wax will sink into the base, while lighter hydrocarbons will rise or even evaporate.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for resurrecting this thread, @ZuikiZ. I am completely at sea with the molecular weight of hydrocarbons but I missed the thread the first time round (think I was away literally at sea at the time) and it brightened up my Sunday afternoon.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy