Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car parking at lech

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Between december 23th -30th, I am planning to go for skiing with my 6 years daughter to Arlberg (Lech or oberlech), Austria.

I have never skiied before. I have booked the flights however, I have not much information about accommodation and transportation to the skii school in/around Lech/Oberlech. Therefore, I have two questions for forum members.

1) As I know it is expensive to stay around, I have planned to hire a car from Innsbruck and stay bit far (20-30 miles) from Lech. Can you please advise if I can park my car in early morning in Alrberg area?
2) For skiing lessons do I must need advance booking? I have read some school just gather on meeting point without booking. i.e. https://www.skischule-zuers.at/en/courses/group-lessons.html.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where exactly are you staying? The reason I ask is that, if it is the Warth direction, that 20-30 miles, in Winter takes a lot longer as the road between Lech and Warth is closed. Also, there are likely to be other ski areas that are a lot closer to where you are staying that are just as suitable for your party, if not more so.

There is parking in both Lech and Zuers, and finding a spot will be easy enough first thing, where exactly to park will depend on which ski school you go with. Oberlech is a car free area, and so you would have to park down in Lech and get the gondola up to the meeting point there, passing the Lech meeting point in the process.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@poths232, Welcome to Snowheads, for Lech park in Zurs (carpark at side of road on way in) and catch free bus to Lech, 10 mins. Or Stuben/ Alpe Rauz for free parking and access to St Anton. Or if coming from east (Innsbruck) park at Nasserein car park, small charge but worth it.

Ski lessons - Arlberg Ski School excellent, but i'll leave for others to comment, not my strong point.

If you've not skied before head for Lech, not St Anton, much easier skiing on lower slopes.

Have fun, might see you there....... wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi Mark/Sitter,

Thanks for your quick reply.

@Sitter, still I havent decided a place. As I have now planned to hire a car, I don't need to stay very near to these places. I will be staying on Zuer/St Anton side, as map suggests. I might go for a ski school in oberlech, lech or Zuer. There are only handful available. Which one do you suggest? Also if it is oberlech, how much I have to pay for Gondola? Does price will be included in a ski pass?

@Mark, I will definetly look into Alberg ski school. Thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you intend to stay that far from Lech, make sure any car you have has WINTER tyres, not 'all season' and you also have chains and know how to use them! Both the Arlberg & Flexen passes can sometimes be closed so access to Zurs/Lech is blocked. You cannot stay in Warth as the road to Lech usually closes late November and doesn't open again until about April. If you do make it to Lech, parking is through the village centre behind the Schegelkopf chairlift. It's quite a large car park openair. If your'e happy paying, there is are 2 underground car parks. One right in the centre the other beneath the village church. Lech Ski School is very good but you WILL need to book. No chance at peak periods of just turning up. There are now also 2 other ski schools. One in Oberlech & the Alpine Centre. Having said all that, I must be honest and say I do not think Lech is an ideal beginners resort. There are many better suited resorts for beginners. Don't just go to Lech to be 'cool' or look good for your friends. Wait until you have some experience so you can get more out of it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you are first week beginners I would question the wisdom of commuting 20-30 miles every day to Lech & back in mid-Winter. It can be done, there is a free car park next to the Schlosskopf chair at the far end of Lech or the Trittkopf parking at Zurs as has been mentioned ( https://www.lechzuers.com/travel-information ), though these can fill up in peak season and the only access in Winter is over the Flexen Pass, the valley road to Warth is closed in Winter. The pass is kept clear and the most avalanche-prone sections are covered, but it does get a lot of snow. Where are you planning to stay? Are you staying in Klostertal or will you also have to use the Arlberg pass or Tunnel every day?

Lech is a lovely place, but one of the priciest in Austria and as complete beginners you are not going to be able to take advantage of what it offers. Could you not save it for next year when you'll be able to navigate the ski area more fully?

Is there not a smaller, less pricey resort more suited to beginners nearer to Innsbruck where you can get hotel/accommodation right next to the nursery slopes and maybe get a taxi transfer from the airport and dispense with the need for driving hire cars over snowy passes?? Seefeld, Axamer Lizum, Kuhtai??? It will certainly make things a lot less stressful for you & your daughter.

There are 122 to choose from in the Tyrol... https://www.bergfex.com/tirol/

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 9-12-18 20:06; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Old Man Of Lech, crossed posts there, but seems we're thinking along the same lines. Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stay in cheaper Flirsch or Pettneu and get the skibus.

https://www.stantonamarlberg.com/en/accomodations/all-accommodations
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
poths232 wrote:
Hi Mark/Sitter,

Thanks for your quick reply.

@Sitter, still I havent decided a place. As I have now planned to hire a car, I don't need to stay very near to these places. I will be staying on Zuer/St Anton side, as map suggests. I might go for a ski school in oberlech, lech or Zuer. There are only handful available. Which one do you suggest? Also if it is oberlech, how much I have to pay for Gondola? Does price will be included in a ski pass?

@Mark, I will definetly look into Alberg ski school. Thanks

You won't be staying in Zurs as it's even more expensive than Lech and St Anton isn't far behind if you want a nice hotel. So you'll either be down in Stanzertal beyond St Anton or in Klostertal.

I don't think you understand that there are two mountain passes in between St Anton & Lech, the Arlberg & the Flexen which can be closed during heavy snowfalls so you'll be forced to use the toll paying Arlberg Tunnel each way and even then if the Flexen is closed Lech & Zurs will be cut off and you will miss ski school.

It really is not a sensible idea what you are proposing. Please consider a beginners resort closer to Innsbruck and get yourself booked into a nice hotel next to the nursery slopes, get a taxi transfer from Innsbruck airport and enjoy a stress-free learning experience, you will thank me later.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 9-12-18 20:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@poths232, you will both need to book ski school and you will need to find a school where you both start, and finish, your lessons in EXACTLY the same place. It is now very late to be booking for Christmas and, in addition, you are starting on a Sunday. This might reduce your choice of both accommodation and ski school. There are lots of people on this Forum who have very detailed knowledge of the Arlberg. I would follow their advice, if I were you. It's quite hard work getting you and your daughter your ski gear (you'll be renting, presumably?) and ski passes, and to and from ski lessons - even without a lengthy and possibly quite difficult drive and mucking round with snow chains.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also - try to avoid ski buses. Getting yourself and your daughter, in ski boots, with four skis and two poles (she won't need any) on and off a crowded bus is not a great way to start the day.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nice responses from @Old Man of Lech and @Luigi.

Both are right, as really don't have experience driving in snow in high passes. Never had winter tyres in my life let alone use of chains. Happy. I am not sure if airport car rentals are providing cars with chains and snow tyres.

Okay so now disccussion is moving from going towards Lech/Zur to somewhere else. Let me do some research and come back.

Any suggestion for beginners resorts is welcome.

Thanks for your kind responses.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pam w, I missed it was a Sun-Sun duration, that is going to make it tricky to find well-located accommodation anywhere is Xmas week.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
poths232-
Here is a selection of resorts found in just a few seconds search. I've personally only skied Stubai so don't have any knowledge about the others. Maybe other SH's will?

https://www.skiresort.info/best-ski-resorts/innsbruck/sorted/beginners/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@poths232, I am afraid to say this does not sound like a good plan. While Lech would be a perfectly OK place to learn to ski it is potentially one of the more difficult places to access in winter. Both the Arlberg and Flexen passes can get snow bound, whilst the roads are cleared as quickly as possible they are not good spots in a blizzard. Not a huge issue if you are driving in and out only at the beginning and end of your stay (being delayed by an hour or two is not a big deal) not good for a daily commute.

In addition to this having to drive for 45 minutes or so each way each day with a high possibility of snowy roads with a 6 year old is hardly a good idea for ski lessons. Lessons will start around 9, given inevitable issues with parking etc this means leaving your accommodation before 8 every day plus messing about on the return in the evening. This all sounds like a recipe for a lot of stress and a ruined holiday.

Unless you plan to stay in Lech or Zürs (finding accommodation at this juncture is not going to be easy) then as others have said there are many other places in the Tirol and Vorarlberg which would be more suitable. If you are both beginners then one of the smaller resorts will be fine, probably better than a big place like the Arlberg (potentially cheaper too). Having a car might help if your accommodation is slightly out of the way, both for getting to the slopes and accessing shops, restaurants etc. Most importantly stay in or as near as you can to the resort.

Wherever you choose, which could well be dictated by availability of accommodation, you should book ski school in advance. It is easy to send emails to the schools and / or tourist office asking about what lessons they run and also check whether English group lessons are available (almost certainly they will but need to check). Simply turning up at the ski school meeting place on the first day, especially with a 6 year old is not a good idea.
latest report
@Old Man Of Lech, @luigi, agreed not ideal choice but if adamant its where they want to be why not, easiest skiing in Arlberg local to Lech which is where they’ll be......Logistics re driving ok if they have winters and chains.

@pam w, buses shouldn’t be too crowded over Weinachten and what a place to be at that time of year for the little one - if he can drive 20-30 miles every morning I’m sure he can manage the local eco buses.
ski holidays
I'm OK on ski buses on my own, but really hate them with kids - but maybe I'm just a wimp! I'd rather get chains on and off twice a day than have to fight my way on and off buses. Anyway, given that it's late, and he's travelling Sunday - Sunday at Christmas, the OP might just have to take what accommodation he can find.
ski holidays
Markymark29--Lets face it. Anywhere in Austria at Christmas is going to be magical especially for a six year old.
snow report
If you can go on Saturday 22nd from Manchester, this package inc flights, transfers, room & Half Board and might work out cheaper than trying to do it all independently. I bet car hire in Xmas week from Innsbruck is £300+ on its own.

https://www.igluski.com/ski-resorts/austria/zell-am-see/hotel-traube_6434?holidayId=1455373078&offerid=1431864157

It's a Neilson holiday so find it here with those dates:

https://www.neilson.co.uk/ski/austria/zell-am-see/hotel-traube?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2oKCpcKT3wIVgUPTCh2PNgDkEAAYAiAAEgK8jvD_BwE

Zell am See is a very pleasant resort and as nice a place as any to learn, a few nursery slopes in town and then some good progressor blues on the mountain. They should be getting a bucket load of snow over the next few days as is most of Austria.

You will need to enquire about ski school, availability, timings & locations as pam w says you & your daughter will not be learning in the same group as they never mix adults & kids, unless you pay for private tuition.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 9-12-18 20:57; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@poths232, didnt realise you were inexperienced regards mountain winter driving etc, try somewhere like Seefeld?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 9-12-18 21:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
poths232 wrote:
Nice responses from @Old Man of Lech and @Luigi.

Both are right, as really don't have experience driving in snow in high passes. Never had winter tyres in my life let alone use of chains. Happy. I am not sure if airport car rentals are providing cars with chains and snow tyres.

Okay so now disccussion is moving from going towards Lech/Zur to somewhere else. Let me do some research and come back.

Any suggestion for beginners resorts is welcome.

One place you might look at is Serfaus / Fiss. It promotes itself as being very family orientated, the villages are pretty much car free (though you can drive to your accommodation), flexible ski school times etc. see https://www.serfaus-fiss-ladis.at/en/winter/kids-family

Assuming you are flying to Innsbruck, Zürich or Munich any hire car should come with winter tyres as standard, the days of extra charges for them should have gone (no harm in checking though). Unless you are going to some out of the way spot you are very unlikely to need snow chains.
snow report
Here's the direct link to the Zell am See package...

https://www.neilson.co.uk/ski/austria/zell-am-see/hotel-traube?depDate=2018-12-22&holidayType=NES1,NMS1&duration=7&destinationType=resort&rooms=1&room1Ad=2&room1Ch=0&resort=WA1&dep=MAN&carrier=LS&flightNo=LS889

Looks like it's also available from Birmingham for £40 more
ski holidays
As you are both beginners, I would agree with the other posters that you should look for a smaller resort and stay at the resort rather than commuting. It can be stressful trying to a 6 year old ready for ski school and carry all your gear and hers trying to get to ski school on time.
snow report
Yeah this is probably the snowiest road in Austria, and certainly the snowiest that is open over the winter - probably not the best place to first learn about winter/alpine driving! It can get REALLY tough up there in a storm. Lots above the treeline, so when the wind blows the snow and everything is just white it can be really hard to see where the edge of the road is, or anything else... Often easier in the dark actually!

However the idea of getting the bus from Pettneu or Flirsch isn't a bad one, if you really want to stay in Lech (not quick mind). Might be better to look at somewhere like Langen or Wald am Arlberg if getting the bus to Lech. I assume they're a lot cheaper than Stuben?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 9-12-18 22:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Great replies.

I found this one: https://booking.stantonamarlberg.com/stanton/en/accommodation/searchresult?selNights=6&selNumberOfUnits=1&customHeader=true&selArrivalDate=20181224&selAccommodationTypeLine1=room&selAdultsSearchLine1=2&type=single

Seems not a bad price. Under Euro 600-700 for seven days.

I relation to booking for a ski school, still places are available for some. I think the best bet is catch a bus/train from Innsbruck, and stay in nearby villages.
ski holidays
I also think your plan is a recipe for a stressful holiday. Given you have never skied before, a small, family-oriented resort will serve you well. It should be much less crowded than the Arlberg and a whole lot cheaper.

That said, if you can find something you can afford, stay in Lech. It is the quintessential (upmarket!) Austrian village; chocolate-box cover beautiful.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
I also think your plan is a recipe for a stressful holiday. Given you have never skied before, a small, family-oriented resort will serve you well. It should be much less crowded than the Arlberg and a whole lot cheaper.

That said, if you can find something you can afford, stay in Lech. It is the quintessential (upmarket!) Austrian village; chocolate-box cover beautiful.

Also I am looking into other options as couple of users suggested serfaus and Kuhtai is not bad option to look for.

Any suggestions on these two locations?
ski holidays
poths232 wrote:
Great replies.

I found this one: https://booking.stantonamarlberg.com/stanton/en/accommodation/searchresult?selNights=6&selNumberOfUnits=1&customHeader=true&selArrivalDate=20181224&selAccommodationTypeLine1=room&selAdultsSearchLine1=2&type=single

Seems not a bad price. Under Euro 600-700 for seven days.

I relation to booking for a ski school, still places are available for some. I think the best bet is catch a bus/train from Innsbruck, and stay in nearby villages.

That search was for 6 nights from 24th?? I thought you were arriving on 23rd?? You can certainly do public transport from Innsbruck to villages near St Anton, but it will probably involve a few changes Airport to Train Station, train to St Anton, then bus back to Nasserein or Pettneu.

So where are you thinking of going to ski school? St Anton is not great as there aren't really any easy progressor slopes beyond the odd nursery draglift there and at Nasserein, I can't think of any easy blues to progress onto, it's a very steep sided valley.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@poths232, The link doesnt show where the accommodation is, I guess one of the smaller outlying villages. No big issue with that, they all have a good ski bus service to St Anton. It is easy to get from Innsbruck to St Anton there are direct trains. You will probably need to get a taxi from the train station to your accommodation. It would be worth checking exactly where the accommodation is as there are some spots where a car is useful, not so much to get back and forth to St Anton for skiing but because otherwise they are a bit isolated.

Contrary to popular belief St Anton is not a bad spot for complete beginners, in addition to the usual nursery slopes in the village, there is a very nice nursery area at Gampen which usually has good snow. The issue is moving on after the first few days, there is a lack of easily accessible friendly easy (blue) slopes. If you and your daughter are fairly sporty probably not an issue as you will cope if you are a bit nervous it might be a bit of an ordeal.

I have not been to Kuhtai but I have seen suggestions that it is very open and thus can be a bit bleak in mid winter, in case of bad weather (which is what brings the snow) there are very few runs amongst the trees which are the best places to be in a snow storm.
snow conditions
I'd really recommend Serfaus/Fiss/Ladis. For total beginners you'd be better off in Ladis and that's the village of the three that's most likely to have reasonable accommodation still available. Ladis has a single gondola that connects up to the beginner's ski-school/kids area then carries on to Fiss. Connections on to main pistes are all from Fiss, so that makes Ladis less popular with experienced skiers but ideal for you.

Only negative (if it worries you) is that not many british people ski there, so ski schools will have lots of mixed nationalities. You will get lessons in English though, it's commonly used with all the non-German speakers.

Now that there's some snow on the ground all over Austria you might still want to look at package deals. Niederau was where I learned to ski and it was perfect. Nursery slopes in the village then easy progression on to blues at the top of the mountain. Very pretty and traditional village that a 6-year old will love.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy