Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to stay in Flachau

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Sorry to disturb all of you Ski Amade experts from your Summer slumber but I'm just on the point of booking our group weekend for next January.
Thanks to this forum, we have chosen Flachau and are doing 3 nights and 4 days skiing.

We have had 4-5 offers from hotels, which isn't bad as there are 12 of us, but looking at the map they are all in different areas. We are all decent skiers but also keen on Apres and later revelries. Is there one lift which is better less crowded that others? Which end of town is best for Apres or later partying? My hunch is the Star jet end as the hotels seem a bit more pricey up there but any info on logistics would be most helpful I don't want to book near Space jet (which appears to offer better VFM) and then discover we need a cab ride or 20 minute walk every evening to find the bars and restaurants.

Many thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@EdYarker, the centre of town is closest to the Starjet end, and this is the expensive end because that's where the WC run is, so the hotels there can charge a premium when the circus is in town. There's the very large and loud Hofstadl by the lift, and the centre (what there is, in a very strung out village) is a 2-3 minute walk downhill, but it is mainly quiet with the exception of a basement nightclub (which I've never tried) plus Fire&Ice further on past the Spar.

Achterjet is probably the lift which gives the easiest access to the slopes, but it is a fair way away from the centre, and the size of the car park tells you that it is intended to keep the day visitor traffic out of the town. However, it has a couple of quiet places for a beer at the end of the day, plus there's a music venue and the infamous Yetis party house. Regular buses run for 5 minutes to both ends of town, but only during lift opening hours.

Spacejet is even further away and quieter, and is used primarily by the day trippers due to the easy access and very large car park. There's not a lot there, but the Dampfkessel does apres and again there are buses to town.

We've typically stayed in the centre of town in apartments, so near the Spar and the main restaurants and bars, but still quick to access Achterjet each morning by bus, plus we've had a car and driven to Flachauwinkel or Wagrain occasionally. On balance, that's how I'd prefer to arrange it, rather than being near the lifts but a long way away from the town. There's a reasonable selection of places around Achterjet, so for those with a bus phobia this is a possible but Starjet would be better if the price differential wasn't prohibitive.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@EdYarker, I have a flat near the achterjet. what hotels have you been offered? when are you going? Achterjet to the centre of town is about 12 minutes walk. There is an umbrella bar at the bottom of the achterjet which is jumping till about 8.30. For late night partying there is Yetis partyhaus. I prefer the Musistadl whcih has live cover bands every night from 9pm - about 1am, which is in town but you can walk across the field to get there and back and it takes about 10 minutes, or you can get taxis outside and it is about €12 per minibus back to the achterjet area.

The dampfkessel is till about 9pm at the spacejet end - I wouldn't book there as you can apres there and walk back to the achterjet area in about 5 minutes (pole across the field for most of it)

@ousekjarr, Fire and Ice has gone, it is now Essgalerie restuarant. What music venue do you mean at the Achterjet?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@holidayloverxx, I was thinking of the Musistadl - and I'm not surprised Fire&Ice has gone, it was always deserted whenever we were passing it, but then we were never there at 1am wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks @ousekjarr, and @holidayloverxx, for your prompt and informative replies. They seem to fit with what I thought and generally how the price line runs.

Our cheapest offer has come from Hotel Paradies, but that is down in Shrempf-Resnergrasse nearer to Space jet. I was worried that we might be out on a limb there come the evenings.

Actually the cheapest was Apartments Barbara, which looks nearer the 'centre' but that price was squeezing us into rooms of 6, which even we baulk at. We would also rather some B&B if possible.

Other quotes I'm considering are from Crystls Apart-hotel, which looks well placed near Starjet, Hotel Bergdiamant near Achterjet and both Hotel Matteo and Funsport, bike, ski hotel on the main road between Achterjet and Starjet are available on Booking.com, although a bit pricey. Also on Booking.com are Chalet Lisa which looks like it's above Achterjet, but it doesn't say it is ski in/out. It is also SC and doesn't look like there are any restaurants next door for brekkie, so I'm ruling it out.

We are perfectly happy to get the odd bus or cab here or there but I was just keen for us not to be stuck somewhere too far from everything.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi EdYarker, you could easily walk from one end of the main road to the other is approx 30-40mins, so it's unlikely you'll be too far if you're staying within Flachau's boundaries. It's a great little town with something for everyone, you'll love it Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@EdYarker, Bergdiamant is opposite me; great location for achterjet and easy access to town and dampfkessel. taxis back are easy and unlikely to cost more than €15 for each 8 seater so less than a price of a beer each to get home if necessary.

Crystls is a good location for the space jet but it is an uphill walk to the lift I think

Hotel Matteo is on the main road (we go to the bar there - Paularei). bit further to walk to the achterjet but only about 2 mins further than from Bergdiamant, which is about 3 minutes walk. We always thought it looked good value but the bar, while massive and funky, always seems very quiet

The funsport looks to be the Tauernhof. One of the best hotels but bang in the middle between lifts - you will have to get the bus.

Don't know Chalet Lisa but I know where it is. I can't see it being ski in/out but there might be a "cut through". There are no restaurants as such for brekkie round the achterjet, although some of the hotels might sell you breakfast, cheaper just to go up the mountain and eat there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you @Eeyore, good to know the scale we are looking at. @holidayloverxx, your insight is invaluable. At the moment I think Bergdiamant is favourite as it is offering HB for similar price to the others BB. Obviously you can vouch for its location as well. We're fine with a short cab ride home at the end and if Yetis is next door then so much the better! Thanks once again.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@EdYarker, Perfect - umbrella bar, then stagger back to the hotel, dinner, yetis - sorted! yetis is over the road...which is better than next door Laughing

when are you going?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
24th January. Sounds like the evening makes itself! I've just had a rival offer from Crystls, which includes lift passes for 3 days. What are you normally looking at for that, about 150 Eu?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@EdYarker, 24th Jan is a good week - will be quiet re lift queues. yes about €150. apres at the Hofstadl or any of the bars at the base, finish the night at the Musistadl (unless you are under 30!)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This is all musi(stadl) to my ears. No, all a fair bit over 30 now! Many thanks once again.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy