Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BARGAIN ALERT!!!! Ridiculous price for passes in Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Well ... it's all kicked off .. well done Saas Fee. Now we have the Magic Pass for 2017-18 - 395 chf per adult and 295chf for groms - for unlimited access to 25 resorts across Valais, Vaud and others - includes Val D'Anniviers and Les Diablerets - we've bought ours for the family and the word is going out amongst Swiss and Euro friends.......

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 14-04-17 14:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I upgraded my Saas Fee annual to a three year for chf 444.

I will be doing a spell of training there in the autumn (just for personal development, not professional!) and that works out as each year paying for itself with just three days of skiing at a daily rate!
No brainer.

A Saas Fee 2017/18 season pass is still available at chf222 if booked before the end of April...and ignore the stuff on the website saying they will only proceed if they sell enough, everyone who subscribes will get it, no matter if they reach the threshold or not.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
some more info here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=131651
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the heads up. Seriously considering this as we tour for two months in the motorhome and quite like spending a few days at tiny resorts, which some of these are.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BoardieK, ... german and Dutch friends have bought theirs in the last hour ....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm considering these 2 options for next season. Just finished a great season in Ski Amade but looking for somewhere different for next year.

The magicpass is 1st Nov to 30 April, snow permitting.
The Saas Fee pass is for the winter season - when does the winter season start in Saas fee?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dhorst, there are some lovely resorts on the Magic Pass - Nax, Vercorin - and Grimentz has a brilliant new park for the groms and gromettes - re the start of the winter season in Saas just email the tourist office in Saas - they are great there and get back within minutes....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@dhorst, 1st November is the official start of winter season in Saas Fee.

That was a specific deal-breaker detail for me as I will be training there in the first two weeks of November and had to be 100% sure it was included...it is Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rungsp wrote:
I upgraded my Saas Fee annual to a three year for chf 444.

I will be doing a spell of training there in the autumn (just for personal development, not professional!) and that works out as each year paying for itself with just three days of skiing at a daily rate!
No brainer.

A Saas Fee 2017/18 season pass is still available at chf222 if booked before the end of April...and ignore the stuff on the website saying they will only proceed if they sell enough, everyone who subscribes will get it, no matter if they reach the threshold or not.

Thanks for posting that!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I emailed the tourist office in Saas Fee and, within 5 minutes, they confirmed the winter season is 1st Nov 2017 - 15th April 2018, so the 2 passes are pretty similar in terms of season length (snow permitting).

I'm leaning towards the MagicPass as I managed 2 weeks and 4 long weekends this year - Les Diablerets, Crans Montana and Val d'annivers all look like they are worth a full week.

Just need to work out how quickly the savings are eroded by on mountain prices compared to Ski Amade!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Magic Pass website is suddenly showing "Almost Sold Out", so it's gone from "In Stock" through "Limited Stock" to almost sold out in one day by my reckoning.

Just bought ours but my first choice of credit card, which expires next month, did not work.

Switzerland here we come!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@dhorst, ...prices on the hill not so different to places like 3v obviously verbier silly in places but smaller resorts on the magic pass simply wonderful - great food at restaurant bob in grimentz - Er can't miss it since it's the only one - and at good prices.

I am looking forward to skiing les marecottes - a great village - and some of the very small resorts. Gets us out and about in the season - pre-dawn breakfast - grumbling kids - they sleep in the car - coffee in the village - walk to station from gravel car parks (all free) full of smiley locals - hide shoes somewhere or ask to leave them with the pisteurs - then onto rattly lifts and up to fabulous uncrowded slopes. Nice.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BoardieK, ...if you want any advice about resorts and accommodation just drop me a line - we know the valais well ...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the offer. I quickly had to check the camping facilities/parking options available in the villages just to make sure we could manage in the motorhomefor two months and it all looks good. We've only skied/boarded around Gstaad in western Switzerland but driven through several resorts and my wife particularly likes the lower hilly ones. Will be in touch in due course.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BoardieK, ...easy motor home camping in Crans Montana, grimentz, zinal.
snow report
how do the food/accom prices compare. our Easter break in Engelberg was eye-wateringly pricy (and I'm used to London prices) - typically 25CHF for a main course, wines _start_ at 40chf.... even a pizza in town (admittedly at the nice Italian la monasteria) was 25CHF.... nearly 100% more than equivalent items in Italy. (our previous trip was 2 weeks in Sauzy). Was in Saas a couple of years ago, fond memories, but don't recall it being _too_ pricy.
snow report
@hamilton, exchange rate has been punitive (2.5chf to gbp in 2002; recently 1.2...Swiss central bank desperately wants a devaluation but has spent billions to no effect) but Brixit may shift things up (ie beneficially) if the election movement yesterday is any indication. Agreed ... Italy is excellent value at present, mainly because the economy is on a knife-edge. This too may change. Compare Swiss prices with mainstream 3V and there's not a huge difference, according to recent visits by friends.
ski holidays
@hamilton, leading from @valais2's comment, consider that at "normal" i.e. pre collapse exchange rates your 25 chf main course was more or less £11. That compares very well with London.

I buy my wine from Denner, almost invariably on special and I get very nice Spanish reds for 5 chfs a bottle. That's £2 in old money. Beat that down Tesco.

Your 40 chf bottle in the restaurant would have been £16. Central London you're looking at £25 upwards.

So no, Switzerland is not expensive, you are just converting from a 3rd world currency.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 21-04-17 9:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@under a new name, S P O T O N
snow report
Be careful.. what you gain on the lift pass you may lose when booking accommodation. The success of the lift pass offer has meant Saas Fee has been rammed this season which has been good for the resort, but it means a lot of the reasonably priced accommodation has been booked out. It has also meant busy slopes and long queues for lifts at times.
ski holidays
@FreeBeer, although that's the magic of the Magic Pass - 25 resorts, so plenty of places to spread out to, many with very cheap b&b and self-catering - or if using more that one resort - eg around the Val D'Anniviers, you could stay way out of immediate range on any one place and travel 30 mins to the different resorts, staying in extremely cheap accommodation.
ski holidays
I also see that: "The Jungfrau Ski region, Adelboden-Lenk, Meiringen-Hasliberg and Gstaad are launching a joint season subscription. For CHF 666 in advance, you will get free travel on 666 km of slopes in the Bernese Oberland".

Also, that the excellent early season pass that we used this year in Valloire France (€286 before September) is not being repeated for the 2017/18 season.

Could Switzerland become the number 1 cheap early season pass country in Europe?
latest report
4 Valleys (Verbier, La Tzoumaz, Nendaz, Veyzonnaz & Les Collons): Téléverbier has announced a CHF 400 Annual Pass for under-25s. The usual cost would be 1,425 CHF. It'll be on sale 1st September to 20th November 2017

It looks like they're building on a successful but more limited offer last year, and targeting an age group who are keen on summer mountain-biking and winter ski/snowboarding. A pass holder can also get a 10% reduction for family buying conventional passes.

See http://www.verbier.ch/en/liste-news-3/news-763/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy