Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Combined map of Skirama Dolomit AND Dolomiti Superski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a Vail "Epic Pass" for this coming 17-18 season and it includes three days at the SkiRama Dolomiti "circus".

But I would like to ski some of the Dolomiti Superski too, especially the Marmolada and the Sella Ronda (which I have skied before based in Arabba.)

I'd like to stay in a village so that we can ski both circuses, if possible.

The Superski is to north and east of the Skirama and I believe that they are contiguous but not clear so looking for a map showing both.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dmseattle, welcome to snowHeads!

I have never seen a map covering both. The Dolomiti superski map has to cover a large area already (and in practice you can't use the whole Dolomitisuperski map to navigate with any accuracy), my understanding is there is then a fair size gap via Bolzano/Bozen to reach the SkiRama area.

As far as I can make out, the relationship is roughly as shown here
Black outline is Dolomitisuperski, red is SkiRama.

But I have no first hand knowledge of SkiRama. I'd have to say that it looks like if you want to be able to get to both, Bolzano is a base, but there is a fair amount of travel involved.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Extremely helpful!
Thank you!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
First of all, you will definitely need more than 3 days in each to see all of those huge ski circuits, but maybe you could get a flavour of each in a shorter time.

Secondly, it would be a long commute from Bolzano to the Skirama areas, so I would suggest you do your 3 days at the Skirama by staying at one of the resorts there or villages nearby. Madonna di Campiglio in the Brenta Dolomites would be an obvious choice and the 3 linked areas there would likely keep you occupied for 3 days, but it will likely be the priciest for hotels. Val di Sole with its gondola links to Marilleva & Folgarida offers a good back-door into the linked areas with the option of driving up to Passo Tonale & Pejo to access those areas too.

Then transfer one afternoon/evening after your third day's skiing over to a new hotel or apartment in one of the Val di Fassa resorts. Moena, Vigo & Pozza are cheaper, but Campitello & Canazei are more convenient for direct access to the Sella Ronda & Marmolada, hence pricier, though it's only a few kms drive up a flat valley from Moena, Vigo & Pozza and there are some nice places to stay in these. Alba beyond Canazei is also now a good option with the new Funifor lift there. There's enough skiing immediately accessible in Val di Fassa to keep you busy for well over a week skiing a different area every day.

Another option for the Sella Ronda is Val Gardena which is also easily accessible from he A22 corridor, though it does tend to be quite pricey here, esp the resort of Selva. S Cristina & Ortisei offer slightly better value but are less well connected.

Another thing to bear in mind is the road conditions on any mountain roads you will be planning on using. There is a relatively low altitude route from Val di Sole to Val di Fassa (S42/A22/S48) without the need to traverse any high altitude mountain passes which are fine in dry clear weather, but can often be closed in wintry conditions or after a snowfall.

ViaMichelin gives a driving time of 2h52mins from Madonna di Campiglio to Canazei using the low altitude route which reinforces the view that you should try and do a 2-centre trip. If you did try and stay somewhere in between the areas, it would mean a 1-2hr commute to the skiing each day which would spoil things.

Which airport will you be flying into? Will you be renting a car? How long are you planning on staying/skiing overall? Which month are you going?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 12-09-17 8:33; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As to the combined map, there isn't one as these are two separate lift consortia.

Skirama Dolomiti includes 7 different areas (some lift-linked) west of the A22 between Trento & Bolzano and Folgaria-Lavarone to the SE of Trento.

http://www.skirama.it/lang/EN/homepage#section-skimap

Dolomiti Superski includes 12 different areas (some lift-linked) east of the A22, covering a huge area of mountains as far as the Austrian border which can take several hours of driving (and high passes) to traverse from end to end. The Sella Ronda sits at the centre of the Dolomiti Superski with 4 linked areas Val Gardena, Val di Fassa, Arabba/Marmolada & Alta Badia, each of which have a number of resort villages linked into the main circuit.

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/ski-area/ski-map

This topographically accurate ski map is extremely useful for navigating the Sella Ronda and immediate surrounding areas, much better than the foldaway ski maps available at the lift stations.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valli-Ladine-Sellaronda-ski-maps/dp/8883150953?tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks so very much Luigi!
Excellent advice and exactly the sort I'm seeking.

We will probably come north from Rome...or maybe Venice....still working out details Smile
(I have a friend who will be in Rome and we'll go north by some route.)

luigi wrote:
First of all, you will definitely need more than 3 days in each to see all of those huge ski circuits, but maybe you could get a flavour of each in a shorter time.

Secondly, it would be a long commute from Bolzano to the Skirama areas, so I would suggest you do your 3 days at the Skirama by staying at one of the resorts there or villages nearby. Madonna di Campiglio in the Brenta Dolomites would be an obvious choice and the 3 linked areas there would likely keep you occupied for 3 days, but it will likely be the priciest for hotels. Val di Sole with its gondola links to Marilleva & Folgarida offers a good back-door into the linked areas with the option of driving up to Passo Tonale & Pejo to access those areas too.

Then transfer one afternoon/evening after your third day's skiing over to a new hotel or apartment in one of the Val di Fassa resorts. Moena, Vigo & Pozza are cheaper, but Campitello & Canazei are more convenient for direct access to the Sella Ronda & Marmolada, hence pricier, though it's only a few kms drive up a flat valley from Moena, Vigo & Pozza and there are some nice places to stay in these. Alba beyond Canazei is also now a good option with the new Funifor lift there. There's enough skiing immediately accessible in Val di Fassa to keep you busy for well over a week skiing a different area every day.

Another option for the Sella Ronda is Val Gardena which is also easily accessible from he A22 corridor, though it does tend to be quite pricey here, esp the resort of Selva. S Cristina & Ortisei offer slightly better value but are less well connected.

Another thing to bear in mind is the road conditions on any mountain roads you will be planning on using. There is a relatively low altitude route from Val di Sole to Val di Fassa (S42/A22/S48) without the need to traverse any high altitude mountain passes which are fine in dry clear weather, but can often be closed in wintry conditions or after a snowfall.

ViaMichelin gives a driving time of 2h52mins from Madonna di Campiglio to Canazei using the low altitude route which reinforces the view that you should try and do a 2-centre trip. If you did try and stay somewhere in between the areas, it would mean a 1-2hr commute to the skiing each day which would spoil things.

Which airport will you be flying into? Will you be renting a car? How long are you planning on staying/skiing overall? Which month are you going?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I spent a week in Arabba some years ago and loved the whole area...the Sella Ronda is just so fantastic...so I was hoping to be able to ski both circuses, and may yet do so, though obviously we'll have to move villages.

luigi wrote:
As to the combined map, there isn't one as these are two separate lift consortia.

Skirama Dolomiti includes 7 different areas (some lift-linked) west of the A22 between Trento & Bolzano and Folgaria-Lavarone to the SE of Trento.

http://www.skirama.it/lang/EN/homepage#section-skimap

Dolomiti Superski includes 12 different areas (some lift-linked) east of the A22, covering a huge area of mountains as far as the Austrian border which can take several hours of driving (and high passes) to traverse from end to end. The Sella Ronda sits at the centre of the Dolomiti Superski with 4 linked areas Val Gardena, Val di Fassa, Arabba/Marmolada & Alta Badia, each of which have a number of resort villages linked into the main circuit.

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/ski-area/ski-map

This topographically accurate ski map is extremely useful for navigating the Sella Ronda and immediate surrounding areas, much better than the foldaway ski maps available at the lift stations.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Valli-Ladine-Sellaronda-ski-maps/dp/8883150953?tag=amz07b-21
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dmseattle wrote:
I spent a week in Arabba some years ago and loved the whole area...the Sella Ronda is just so fantastic...so I was hoping to be able to ski both circuses, and may yet do so, though obviously we'll have to move villages.

Yes, you know it's definitely worth travelling halfway around the world for! snowHead

The lifts around the Sella Ronda have seen many improvements in recent years, but the main circuit can get busy at peak times, New Year & February. The snow has arrived very late (early Feb) the last two years, so the timing of the trip will be critical if this pattern repeats again.

If you are arriving from the South, whether Rome or Venice, the advice still stands, best use the main A22 highway to S Michele all'Adige, then the low altitude S43 & S42 roads to access the Val di Sole resorts. Then retrace steps back to A22 when leaving, then north to Egna/Ora to access the S48 & SP232 into Val di Fassa or Bolzano North and the S12 & S242 into Val Gardena.

Arabba is a great place to stay, but if accessing from the West, it will require crossing the high altitude Pordoi Pass which is kept open in Winter, but may have a temporary closure after a snowfall.

Hope it all works out for you!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes I am monitoring snow very carefully.
My trip would be to visit an American friend in Rome and of course to ski as...so whether there will be good snow in first two weeks of December...something to ponder especially since there is already a dusting of snow in Utah as an alternative.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dmseattle wrote:
Yes I am monitoring snow very carefully.
My trip would be to visit an American friend in Rome and of course to ski as...so whether there will be good snow in first two weeks of December...something to ponder especially since there is already a dusting of snow in Utah as an alternative.

Hmm, early December, there is usually a limited opening of some higher areas in the pre-Xmas weeks, for the last few seasons only on artificial snow. Of course, this coming winter could be different. Sometimes the snow arrives in late November and stays, but don't bank on it. Best leave any firm plans until nearer the time when the snow conditions and opening dates of the various ski areas are more sure. Not all ski areas will be open at that time, some only on weekends. At least finding a hotel last minute shouldn't be a problem.

The Dolomite areas will have the snow cannons on as soon as it's cold enough, but there may well be better natural snow conditions in NW Italy (Cervinia, Monte Rosa, etc) in early Dec, you'll have to play it by ear.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy