Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

saalbach / hinterglemm

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
ok so looking for some recommendations for this area. We are a couple both early 30's doing a 2 week trip in January. doing our 2nd week in Zillertal as we love the place, but we want to try somewhere new in the 1st week. We have already skied the ski-welt and the kitzbhuel areas so next logical step would be Saalbach as we are flying into Salzburg and then driving......

So can anyone make some recommendations for good quality hotels? (must have access to wellness / pool)(and ideally within walking distance of bars / lifts etc, i know we will have a car but we like a beer with lunch / apres)

Is there any benefit to Saalbach over Hinterglemm? or do you really treat it as one town / village.?

is there plenty of decent restaurants in both villages? (I ask as we are not afraid of a self catering option if we can find an aparthotel with a pool / wellness)

I have seen a deal for the Alpine Palace in Hinterglemm.... staying in the old bit of the hotel....any opinions?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@enduroaid,

Saalbach and Hinterglemm are two villages, 5km apart along a valley road. Personally I think that Saalbach is the prettier, livelier and more convenient of the two for lifts, but plenty of people would argue that Hinterglemm is the nicer village. Both have numerous hotels that are centrally located and have wellness/pool facilities. The lifts in both villages are all very central and the lift system links to Fieberbrunn and Leogang. The circuit around the valley can be done both clockwise and anti-clockwise and if you get tired, you can ski down to the valley road at any point and get the free bus back to wherever you're staying.

Alpine Palace in Hinterglemm is definitely a good choice, located directly next to the Reiterkogel lift in the village centre and only 200m from the madness that is the Goasstall for apres ski from 15.30. The older wing of the hotel gets good reviews and you still get to use all of the facilities. Just look on TripAdvisor for other top hotels in Hinterglemm and/or ask for comments about specific hotels on here. Glemmtalerhof and Zur Dorfschmiede Hotel in Hinterglemm would probably both fit your bill.

In Saalbach, the quality hotels are in the centre of the village with only a few minutes walk to any of the three main lifts. Look at Hotel Post, Hotel Bauer, Neuhaus or Saalbacher Hof. The Alpenhotel is now only B&B but has in-house restaurants for the evening (and employ a Scottish guide to ski with guests as part of the service). The Alpinresort is all-inclusive and very good. Hotel Sonne is located half-way between Saalabach and Hinterglemm, so a bit out of town, but they have a fleet of free taxis to ferry guests around and are also all-inclusive and have wellness facilities.

There are plenty of restaurants in both villages if you want to self-cater.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To add an extra one to @quinton's, comprehensive list the Eva Village always looks nice. Never stayed there though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@enduroaid, although I've not stayed in alpine palace, friends of ours have twice and they raved about it. Personally I prefer hinterglemm over saalbach but most folks on here prefer saalbach. The apres in the goastall and schwarzacherhof are excellent (hinterglemm). I think we preferred hinterglemm over saalbach because of the night skiing which our kids used loads whilst we apred at the schwarzacherhof 🍻🇦🇹🍻
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry. Just reread your post. Our mates stayed at the alpin kleinwasserei (sp????). The alpin palace can't be bettered for location. The original part of the hotel is pretty basic by all accounts but you eat and use all the facilities in the new part and saves you a fortune
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have stayed in both Hinterglemm and Saalbach. There are some pros and cons of both (although you are unlikely to be disappointed by either) - obviously my opinion only...:

Saalbach - Prettier place, more of a real village. Arguably quicker access to some of the more interesting skiing and to Leogang, and more central to the whole area. Some people prefer the apres here (personally am less sure). Hotels seem to be a little more upscale and expensive. Depending on where you stay, can be a bit of a walk from one side to other to access different sides of valley ski areas

Hinterglemm - more strung out - less of a real centre, less pretty (but still attractive), a (little) bit more traffic around. Easier access to either side of valley. Night skiing. Apres at Goatstall and Schwarzacherhof.

Personally, I prefer Hinterglemm as overall package, but that may be influenced by going with kids.

Generally, buses seem pretty poor in terms of where they stop (especially Hiterglemm, where they stop at ends of village), so hotel location is important.

As to places to stay, the ones we have stayed in are:

Saalbach - Hotel Kohlmais - fantastic location right by slopes, excellent food, rather small bar, friendly people, good rooms. Just over road from one of main apres bars. It has pool and wellness. Just out of the centre, so avoids noise at night.

Hinterglemm - Rosentalerhof - OK location (4/5 min walk to lifts, or less if you don't mind a short T-bar), mix of apartments and rooms, can go half board or eat out - food was good but not great, but friendly service. Lovely (small) outdoor pool. Location slightly away from centre meant it was quiet at night. We enjoyed our stay here.

Hinterglemm - Zur Dorfschmiede - contrary to the advice above, I would NOT recommend this. Owned by same people as Alpine Palace. Great location in middle of village, but unfriendly, awful food, extremely noisy at night and particularly at 6am in the morning as deliveries arrive and are unloaded, very average rooms and as a final irritant, bizarrely they turn off the boot heaters overnight, so boots still damp and cold in morning. Nice pool area, though. Over-priced wine list. Would not rush back.

Never stayed at Panther in Saalbach, but looks nice, has a pool and is really central - but no personal knowledge.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers guys still not sure where to go... I doubt we will disappointed either way but I'll look up some of the hotels you suggested... Pain in the ass of the alpine Palace is they want 15 euros a day for parking!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We did the Alpinresort last year and the all inclusive deal is a winner!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alpine Palace is the best ski hotel I've ever stayed at. Food is like something off Masterchef and the spa is super. And if you stay in one of the old rooms, (not luxurious but perfectly adequate) it's affordable. Who spends much time in their room on a ski holiday?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We stay at the Post. Very central and great food (no buffet dinners). Separate nude and clothed wellness areas in the spa.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hammerite wrote:
To add an extra one to @quinton's, comprehensive list the Eva Village always looks nice. Never stayed there though.

the eva village ticks all the boxes for us and will be returning again 2018 stayed here a few times as do a lot of returning guests, one of the best hotels in any ski resort we have stayed in, more a couples/older friends and family guest profile , very comfortable in all ways and welcoming
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy