Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How expensive is Madonna di Compiglio?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,
I have been reading this wonderful forum for a while and this is my first time posting. And English is not my primary language, so please excuse me for my mistakes!
We are planning a ski holiday in Italy and are choosing between different resorts. Our best option would be Madonna di Compiglio but we are a little bit set back
by the prices there. Even the ski bus is not free!
How much does it to have a lunch in a regular, not fancy place? And on the slopes? Can you recommend good but not crazy pricey ski rentals?
Any info would be highly appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads...

Can't help with your questions though -- someone with better knowledge should be along soon..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ihaveadog, we've been to Madonna a few times, food cost on the mountain was not too expensive, typical Italian prices and a little cheaper in the Folgarida and Pinzolo sectors. Drinks were again average prices, although Madonna does have some quite flash bars which probably do charge over the odds. Sorry can't help on ski rental.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good news then!
We really want to avoid the feeling that we are in "a wrong place", that is actually intended for middle+++.
We would prefer to have a lunch somewhere in late afternoon rather than booking half board in the hotel, because we are not used to eat a main meal late in the evening.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I wasn't that taken with Madonna ...... there are resorts close to it that allow just as good access to the area, seem more authentic, and are much better value for money.

But otherwise, if you like the 'glitz', yes it's a good place to stay.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We hate the "glitz".
Our second choice is Folgarida, but then we will have to book the halfboard and, even more important, will not have access to these long-wide-easy MDC pistes, because will be not able to overtake the red connection between the two, that many describe as quite steep.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't recall any of MdC being that unusually steep. But I have skied quite a lot and you shouldn't take my opinion on that. I also don't recall it being universally expensive. It can be if you want it to be but it's not obligatory.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am not going to take your opinion for any means!
We are in our 50s with two weeks skiing experience. Have been to Passo Tonale last year and enjoyed it thoroughly. Now have at first looked at Folgarida but then thought to upgrade it to MdC. But not at a private jet price.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ihaveadog, where you travelling from and when?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bergamo, 24/2
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And our son is looking for reds - blacks.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lots of skiing in MDC for people in their 50s with two weeks experience. If your son wants steeper slopes there are a few of those.

Food on the mountain is cheap compared to France. I can imagine that the town is expensive in the evening.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can imagine it too. Question is up to what degree. +20% of normal italian prices is not a dealbreaker, +50 starts to look so, +100 definitely is.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ihaveadog, you might find this useful. https://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Ski_Resorts_Near_Bergamo_Map.html

Personally, I'd head to Monterosa, but I have a bias to that. MdC is perfectly fine.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Being a teen, our son will have to live with the given amount of reds/blacks.
I personally prefer no blacks at all.
snow conditions
Thanks for the link.
Is there a Italian map with interactive filters like at Austrian tiscover?
snow report
@under a new name, the link from MdC to Folgarida has a steep pitch at the bottom of the red to the connecting chair and can be quite intimidating when lots of people are heading back to Folgarida and the run to MdC from Folgarida whilst not steep can get quite chopped. But generally the runs are not steep.
snow report
Have you looked at Madesimo, Lombardy?

Closer to Bergamo than MDC too.

Fits your criteria

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Madesimo

http://www.bergfex.com/valchiavenna/
snow conditions
No, I have not checked Madesimo. It does not appear in the list of Italian resorts good for beginners, so was not on my radar. Will look into it.
ski holidays
@stevew, I've only visited for a conference and so only went Folgarida side once. Nothing on piste can be that steep anyway, although I admit for an early stage skier a lot can be too steep.
snow report
MdC will be perfect they have lovely cruisy blue and nice eateries.
snow report
ihaveadog wrote:
We hate the "glitz"

Then go somewhere else .......
ski holidays
Have you thought about the Sella Ronda. Alta Badia is blue run heaven.
ski holidays
ihaveadog wrote:
We hate the "glitz".
Our second choice is Folgarida, but then we will have to book the halfboard and, even more important, will not have access to these long-wide-easy MDC pistes, because will be not able to overtake the red connection between the two, that many describe as quite steep.

Side slip if necessary. However, Lifts are generally old and slow in Folgarids (a serious issue if really cold) but better in MDC. Ski life is far too short as it is so rather than face the "steep" every day just up grade. Food and lodgings were good value given the quality of the scenery, runs, grooming, dolomiti artificial snow for emergencies. The glitz is understated unless you go looking for it. I've been in much worse places. I think MDC would suit you all very well. some of the Lombardy resorts may be a bit small- depends on what you want.
snow conditions
suec wrote:
ihaveadog wrote:
We hate the "glitz".

Side slip if necessary. However, Lifts are generally old and slow in Folgarida (a serious issue if really cold) but better in MDC. Ski life is far too short as it is so rather than face the "steep" every day just up grade. I thought Food and lodgings were good value in zMDC given the quality of the scenery, runs, grooming, dolomiti artificial snow for emergencies. The glitz is fairly understated unless you go looking for it. I've been in much worse places. I think MDC would suit you all very well. some of the Lombardy resorts may be a bit small- depends on what you want.
ski holidays
@ihaveadog,

there is an interactive map here

http://ski2.intermaps.com/dolomiti-di-brenta/?id=4359&lang=en
snow conditions
Matt1959 wrote:

Food on the mountain is cheap compared to France.

Glad to hear it! I'll be skiing MdC at the end of January, already getting excited!
latest report
U need to be careful on the hill in M d'C. There are one or two places whose prices are pretty steep. Most though, as said above, are decent Italian good-value food.

I think it's a lovely area and drop in there whenever I can, if only for the odd day, when passing through.
There are some great blacks and reds to keep your son happy. I, my son and my nephew set ourselves the task of doing all the blacks (in MdC, Pinzolo and Folgarida) in a day, which proved quite a challenge. First day we narrowly missed a lift which prevented us getting the last 3. We tried again the next day and completed the feat.

The town is pretty glitzy, it must be said. You'll be happily 'promenading' in the pedestrian area when everyone will have to give way for a Ferrari or Masserati which, for some reason, gets to drive there - trust me, it's never a Fiat 500.

Folgarida is far cheaper, but a fairly charmless place IME, although it has a truly phenomenal cake shop!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@admin, I'm not sure about the cake shop for next winter (see my other post), let's wait and see
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy