Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying first pair of skis

Poster: A snowHead
Currently looking to buy my first pair of skis, and i have a few questions.

Firstly, a bit of background info. Im 21 years old and I've been skiing for 14wks, on top of that ive recently started to take part in the freestyle sessions run by my university.

Im looking for a ski that is suitable for park but at the same time wont hinder me too badly on the rest of the mountain. Now i know ski preference changes person to person but I have no idea where to start really so naming a few makes that i could possibly demo would be very appreciated! (I have been interested in Line's Chronic Ski however i cannot seem to find anywhere to demo in the UK)

Im 5'6" 70kg and every site seems to have a different guide on what length ski to buy, any ideas of a suitable range for ski length?

When buying bindings, what is a suitable size to buy for a ski, for example the line chronics have a 92mm waist, would a 90mm binding be able to stretch or would it require a 100mm?

And finally, if im buying skis online, should i purchase the skis pre binded or buy the skis and bindings unfitted and then get a fit and tune from somewhere else?

Thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
welcome.
I dont have a correct answer to your question but try and get yourself to one of the snow heads ski tests in October at either hemel or manchester would be a good start.
Personally i prefer bindings mounted on quiver killer so i have one set of bindings on multiple skis even on a weeks holiday (depending on forecast i may take 2x sets of skis). I use the vist free binding and change brake widths to suit different skis. If you can work a screw driver its a very easy job!
I am not a park person but i did buy a pair of coreupt skis in the 99euro bankruptcy sale a few years ago.... they where supposed to be decent in the park plus piste.....tbh they where pretty poo-poo all round (maybe its my skiing!) Also dont get carried away with the years model of ski, very often this years ski s the same as last years ski with a new paint job. Just now is a good time to pick up a steal as companies are trying clear old stock before the new goes on sale.... I picked up a pair of new 16/17 blizzard brahma for £170 no bindings. I will mount them myself with quiver kiiller. if i dont like them i will offload after a weeks use for similar money!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
- I know nothing about Park skis, so can't recommend there.

- On ski length - probably in the 173-179 range (advanced with average aggression).
or 167-173 if Intermediate.

- On ski brake width:
1. Can depend on the design, as some pull together as they are raised.
2. They can usually be bent a bit...usually about 8mm
3. Ideally, they should be just wide enough to clear the ski....and preferably not more than 12mm wider than the ski waist.
4. My 92mm waisted skis have 100mm brakes fitted.

- S+R insist that you send a boot before they will fit a binding...but I have had them fitted by the likes of Glisshop, based on boot sole length, without issue....you can always get them checked again once they arrive.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Other then being able to go backwards - what's the difference with a "park" ski?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
Other then being able to go backwards - what's the difference with a "park" ski?

This, apparently - https://www.backcountry.com/explore/how-to-choose-a-park-ski
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name wrote:

From what my lad tells me, they are usually centre mounted, not all that stiff, and he won't let me sharpen the edges at all under foot due to all the rails and boxes etc. He does ski on piste with them , but prefers other skis really for that.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Whitedot are likely at the ski tests in October, I'd try the Park One with your requirements. I don't ski in the park but found them perfectly good allrounders and just about wide enough for dabbling off piste.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Digger the dinosaur, unfortunately the Park One has been discontinued. The Zero One might still work though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Armada were at the ski test last year and they do some really nice twin tips and park skis.

All in all I'm another one voting... don't buy anything, come to Oktobertest and choose it by skiing it rather than by looking at pictures of it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarlet, having skied both I'd say that the standard One is a better all rounder than the Zero One but there are better options for park skis than Whitedots.

I skied the Armada ARV 108 at the ski test last year and loved it immediately, reckon it'd make for a good 'one ski quiver' although may struggle on icier stuff.

Not skied on it but the place that I got my skis (K2 Shreditor) has a sale on with a few options, one of which is the K2 Sight for £125 flat. http://www.sailandski.co.uk/acatalog/K2-Sight-Skis-2017-32994.html#SID=8873
They've also got a couple of other skis that may fit the bill.

Are you looking for a ski that's going to spend most of the time in the park but will need to get you around the mountain, or a ski that you spend most time on piste but will try to hit the park a for a few hours here and there?

@under a new name, park skis tend to be softer and with more pop to them. Decent width underfoot and not necessarily much of a sidecut either.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
@Scarlet, having skied both I'd say that the standard One is a better all rounder than the Zero One but there are better options for park skis than Whitedots.

I agree, but that's not the argument we're having wink That said, Sam Allen seems to do alright on a pair of Directors.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I ski the Park Ones as an all rounder and they seem to do me fine. I'm not a park rat by any stretch of the imagination but do enjoy jumps off the side and the beginner features that seem to dot about. I'm 5'7 and just under 80kg and ski the 173. the standard Ones might work for you as a decent single ski, though my other half does everything I do a little bit better than me on Head Titans...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:

there are better options for park skis than Whitedots.

True enough but it's just the way that it is, that it's a Snowheads rule that if somebody asks for ski recommendations you have to recommend Whitedot skis.

Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dp,
Or just to say choose the red ones 'cos they will be quicker wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hellolendon, for binding you might consider Marker Schizo. You can just them forwards or back 6cm, so centre for the park, then wind them back for the piste.
snow report
@endoman, I can imagine he doesn't like them on piste.

@SnoodlesMcFlude, "pop"? What is this "pop" you talk of. A fizzy drink?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy