Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

R.I.P. Paulo , Cafe Roby, Folgarida.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Our dear friend Paulo passed away yesterday. He will be well known to anyone who has ever skied in Folgarida as he not only owned Pasticceria /Café Roby (the one with the nice cakes) but was also the head baker.

Each time you sat down to a wonderful brioche for breakfast either in your Folgarida hotel or in his café, he will have made it. Anyone who ordered a birthday cake or received one as a surprise at any of the hotels will have eaten one of his wonderfully artistic creations.

I have done many early morning transfers and before setting off to collect the clients I’d call in at the Roby and Paulo was always there working hard to prepare for the arrival of his guests, as he called the café customers.

A really, really sad day for anyone who knew him.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry for your loss @Lisa_BrentaSki,
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Lisa_BrentaSki, have just seen this and didn't know the gentleman, but am sorry for your loss. He seems to have been well-loved and remembered
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes he was. I know that many, many members of this forum have visited The Roby and enjoyed his home made cakes and pastries (and a beer of course Very Happy ) as a spot of après ski, so he was very well known.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's sad Sad
To me, and my son Gregory, his cafe was one of the major features of Folgarida.
The man wasn't just a baker, he was an artisan!

It was on the back of his creations that Gregory still declares that 'cakes in Italy always taste better than they look' - not that his cakes looked bad, they looked beautiful and yet somehow they tasted even better! Not only that but what he charged for them was so reasonable, that time spent not eating them seemed like a wasted opportunity Toofy Grin

One time, my lad was in trouble for not being as far along with his packing as he should be on departure day. The reason, it transpired, was that he'd snuck off to the cake shop to buy us cakes for the journey home. He'd bought so many (5 iirc) that Paulo had chucked a couple extra in, much to the Boy's delight Very Happy For a child not exactly given to profligate spending, it took something really special to motivate him to blow his cash in that way Cool
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
That's sad Sad
To me, and my son Gregory, his cafe was one of the major features of Folgarida.
The man wasn't just a baker, he was an artisan!

+ 1 Sad

I didn't actually know him, but his cakes were delicious!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't like cake very much, so never sampled his wares in my one visit to Folgarida. Sounds like a sad loss, though. Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy