Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SkiCross / BorderCross

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I hope someone can provide some advice ...

I'm intending (well, hoping) to partake in some skicross the coming winter season, but I'm having trouble working out suitable skis for the runs and parks (I'll be in Val D'Isere / Tignes in winter). I am current;y skiing Salomon QST 99 in 181cm (although those will probably be up for sale soon) but I can't see that these will be suitable for a skicross run (they are rather heavy and quite long), could anyone advise on what I ought to be looking at or do most people just use their general piste skis for this now?

My initial thoughts were 'park' type skis, but I think they would be too soft and I can't test out every one as I live in the UK (and quite frankly a run down your local SnowDome is no comparison), I would rather get it as right as I can beforehand.

I'm happy to hear any advice on the above as well, boots, bindings or ski related as this is a fairly new area for me?

Rob
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you are seriously racing as close to FIS grade GS ski as you can get - maybe you have a bit more flexibility on the radius and might want a softer flex so also consider women's range.

The more serious locals will be on this and most of them will have grown up gate bashing so if you don't have a racing background be ready for a tough awakening.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The skis used in skicross races are basically older specification Giant Slalom ones, mid 20s sidecut radius, heavy and long. Boots are standard race ones.

Maybe start with a "cheater GS" ski and your current boots.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Note that whatever you choose they will be very heavy and long.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My FIS GS aren't very heavy.

@DrUmbongo, have you raced anything before?

I am guessing not or you'd know already what you are looking for. Skicross makes for great TV as it's not for the faint of heart (not the skiing - it's the rugby like body slams).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow, thank-you!

I wasn't expecting such a fast response, but that's actually very helpful and cleared up a few things for me - could you clarify though what you mean by a "Cheater GS" ski, I'm not totally familiar with all of the terminology?

This is, though, basically in line with what I thought so I suppose I should pick up some GS types and run with those (please raise you objections if I've read this wrong) and put them alongside my collection.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under_a_new_name; I have not, it's more a a personal challenge and something I would like to develop, which is why I don't have the background information to pick the equipment, I'm not concerned about the impacts as I am fairly used to them from other sports
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DrUmbongo, OK, as long as you can see what you're in for.

"cheater" GS (or SL) skis are piste oriented recreational skis that give more of a race like grip. They can be very good to really rather poor depending on who the manufacturer is targetting. I.e. in around teh same period I was very much enjoying my Rossi 9X Oversize and very underwhelmed by the S.i.Law's equivalent Volkl P50s. (I like Rossi and Volkl race skis, generally).

I would expect, for example, that something like the Rossignol Hero LT would suit (or it's predecessors). Almost definitely able to pick something up in the seasonal pre-sales if you're in the alps early enough. Or eBay.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, A proper GS ski has a rather hefty raceplate on it does it not? That would be one of the main differences from a punter ski.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dave of the Marmottes, The Rossi ski I mention certainly has some sort of a plate on it. The plate on XOs from a quick image search looks a bit less burly than the one on my FIS skis...

Not sure how much difference that makes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Race plate on my SLs weighs roughly the same as a black hole. Comfortable the weeniest and heaviest skis in my not inconsiderable quiver.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dave of the Marmottes, My Volkls not too bad. Mind you, My Volkl SG 203s are about half the weight of equivalent Nordicas and about twice as easy to ski.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks guys, you've given me a lot of model numbers and reading to do and I appreciate it - I'm really not looking to break any records or anything, but it's something I would like to experiment with and I think that I know where to aim now.

Many thanks.

Rob
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy