Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serfaus vs Lech vs Saalbach vs Ischgl HELP

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

I am hoping that the SnowHeads on here can help me make the best decision on which resort and hotel to chose for our upcoming trip.

Brief history. I am an intermediate and my wife is a beginner to intermediate skier. We are both in our low 30s. We have been to St Anton (I loved it but too difficult for the wife) and Saalbach (we both loved it) in recent years. I also went to Serfaus and Ischgl a few years ago and have very fond memories of both.

We are now thinking of Serfaus/Lech/Saalbach/Ischgl for an upcoming trip from 20-27 January but are having trouble deciding on a resort and a hotel. We are really caught in two minds of going back to Saalbach again which we know we love or to try something new for the Mrs. We are looking for a ski resort that caters to both our needs and won't leave us bored in a week as we like to cover the miles. We prefer Austria to elsewhere as we love the village charm. We are looking for the following in the hotel. 4 or 4 star superior. Half board with excellent food. A large wellness area. Rooms with a balcony and a short walk to the nearest lift. In summary, quality of hotel, food, wellness, location is the most important. We do like apres too but more relaxed as it will be just the two of us travelling.

I would love to hear your personal recommendations!

Thanks in advance,
Roland
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rrd3718, Serfaus & Lech are both great, and fine for a week. From your post I take it you are not looking for the wild apres, so again Serfaus and Lech are good. If you are looking for quality then look at the hotels in Oberlech*, e.g Sonnenburg, which I highly recommend, or Montana (owned by former Austrian downhill champ Patrick Ortlieb), but these come at a certain price!

In Serfaus I have stayed at Geiger's Posthotel, which is 4* and can recommend. Have heard very good things about Hotel Bär, which is 4S, but is more family oriented, so only if you are not bothered by children... There are tons of other good places though.

*Oberlech is even quieter than Lech, with zero cars, can only be reached via the cable car and access tunnels leading from the cable car to the individual hotels spread around the village. Great for ski in ski out.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you for the detailed response Steilhang, I will certainly look at all those great suggestions. We don't have kids so would prefer there to not be too many kids running around. Last year (2016) we went to AlpinResort Sport and Spa in Saalbach from 2-9 January and the pool areas was unusable most of the time with children being children. And while I love kids, my ski holidays I prefer to relax in a more adult environment.

With regards to oberlech, how does one get in and out to Lech in the evenings? Sounds excellent. I skied in Lech for only one day on our St Anton trip but found it to be beautiful!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lech would be my recommendation. Pistes are very well managed with lots of style flattering motorway blues. It is a pricy resort so fewer kids.

It is now possible to ski over to St Anton if you get adventurous.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks TOA!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rrd3718,
Quote:
With regards to oberlech, how does one get in and out to Lech in the evenings? Sounds excellent.
The cable car runs till quite late. About 1AM IIRC. After that you have a walk ahead of you Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stayed at Hotel Montana 2 years running in Oberlech and have yet to find food any better. It's not cheap mind you but is in a stunning location. Dead easy to get to and from lech in the evening - best way is to toboggan or you get the cable car. I've been to all the resorts you want to go to apart from serfaus. Absolutely loved Hinterglemm and Saalbach. I've been to Kappl twice and visited Ischgl throughout each week. Skiing is easier than St Anton but I've never really taken to the village of Ischgl (personal choice and absolutely nothing wrong with it). In fact we are heading back to Kappl again this year.
If you want a cheaper alternative to Oberlech have a look at the Hubertushof in Stuben. Fantastic food and great location. Stuben has less kids in hotels than Oberlech in my experience.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Steilhang and @boabski thank you for the feedback. I must say I also found the village of Ischgl to be less attractive than others, particularly Lech which is absolutely stunning. I think we have narrowed the choice to Oberlech and Saalbach now. Showed the Mrs Oberlech yesterday and she was in awe. Never have stayed above a resort before so i'm imagining in to have amazing views and be incredibly peaceful in the evenings. Are there great mountain huts in Lech as there are in Saalbach. I would miss the chicken man in Lech. Coming together nicely thank you!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stayed at Hotel Lasinga in Fiss. Superb.

http://www.lasinga.at/en/xwr/hotel-ambiance.html

My TR of the 1-week holiday

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=125375

Pics are down, facebook coding thing. Here's the link

https://www.facebook.com/mike.richards.927/media_set?set=a.10154102243683624.1073741876.506688623&type=3
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@rrd3718, I think the only drawback of Lech is the lack of on piste restaurants - they all tend to be in Oberlech. Saalbach wins that contest however I would not let that put you off staying there
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Meant to say that the Petersboden gets a good rep too and is a bit cheaper than the other Oberlech hotels mentioned above
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
had a great stay in Hotel Arlberg in Lech proper 3-4 years ago. Steps to a lift going up the Lech side, and a few more to a cable car that allows access to Zurs from the top. Great service, good food, good hotel bar, good wine list, etc. I prefer the main village to Oberlech above, and I think you run into few families with small children in the main village.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy