Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montegenvre 24th March 2018

Poster: A snowHead
Really would like some advice - what kind of temperatures could we expect 24th March next year - is it generally quite warm which means the snow is really slushy in the afternoon?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Id probably advise you to go to a higher resort,
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We went to Monty this year, last week of January.

I can't really say more about the temperature apart from it was standard Jan/Feb weather really. Some days were very cold, especially with the wind blowing. Some days were lovely and warm and the layers came off. The snow conditions were spot on throughout the week. All the pistes were managed very well.
It's got a good local snow record and as far as I can remember/aware of has many north facing slopes so should be relatively protected against the sun.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Elsie80 wrote:
....... is it generally quite warm which means the snow is really slushy in the afternoon?

Yes.

If it's cold enough overnight, it will be 'crisp' in the morning. You can navigate both sides of the valley to make the least of the Sun, but odds on it will be 'warm' ......

And the link to the best part of the Via Lattea will probably be shut, so you'll maybe take the bus over, and likely go there the following year instead ......
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Elsie80, We have been to Montgenevre twice in the week you are thinking of. The first time we went it snowed every day. The second time it was a lot milder and slushy in the afternoons (spring freeze thaw). On both occasions there was sufficient snow.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Impossible for anyone to give a certain answer. Late March generally means warmer temperatures than mid-February but that's the same across all resorts. I skied this exact date in Avoriaz in 2017 and it was warm and slushy all week. However have skied the exact same date a few years back somewhere else and had wintry conditions and loads of fresh snow.

Best to look at snow records which give a bit of a guide. The Milky Way is a reliable area with a good record, majority North-facing pistes in the Montgenevre/Claviere sector which normally means reliable snow. But at that time of the year a warm spell could happen anywhere in the Alps leading to slushy conditions.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
froomie wrote:
Best to look at snow records which give a bit of a guide. The Milky Way is a reliable area with a good record

Reasonable chance the Milky Way won't be fully linked by lift that time of the year, the Mont/Clav section possibly separated from the main Italian part, so unless you bus it everyday, it's a bit moot.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@BCjohnny, The links to the rest of the milky way should be open that week. They normally close in early April.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Not many resorts start higher than Montgenevre.

General rule is cold in the mornings, warm in the afternoon, most slopes open as will be most connections in the Milky Way. You won't be able to ski down to Cesana, but there are chair lifts.

Ski early, late lunch in Italy in a sun trap, ski lazily home for a beer on a terrace in the sun.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does anyone know if there are any free lifts in Montgenevre? I'll be going there in February next year, and am wondering if there will be an option for a cheeky quick free slide upon arrival in the afternoon on the day before my lift pass kicks in...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not that I am aware. I'm pretty sure even the tow on the nursery slope needed a pass.

However, I believe certain passes give you a free half day. Certainly it did for us and we had a 6 day Via Lattea pass which allowed us to ski on the afternoon of arrival before as you say "the pass kicks in".
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@scubadancer, We've been a couple of times and never noticed any free lifts.
However, I do remember being having a free half day's pass when we bought a week's pass - this was a few years ago though so probably worth checking.
The great thing about Monty is the short transfer from Turin, early flight, easy hour on a coach, in resort for lunch Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks @Fridge03 and @jellemr. I have skied there before, but it was only for a single day whilst staying in Sauze d'Oulx a couple of seasons ago. I'll check out the details on the pass in the meantime. Cheers snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
we went last week of march and it was only slushy on the village side which are south facing, I am there 19th-22nd March
ski holidays
Having done a bit more research, it seems that the Monts de Lune (MDL) pass will be the best option, given the levels of experience within the group I'll be skiing with.... mainly beginners. Montgenevre and Claviere only, will be plenty for the week. I might do a trip elsewhere in Via Lattea on one of the days, which the MDL pass allows. I can't seem to find an up to date price for it though, does anyone know if it's best (ie cheaper) to order online in advance, or just wait 'til I get there? Puzzled With due apologies to the OP for the slight thread drift.
latest report
The price this year for the MDL pass is euro 215 + €3 for the actual pass. You might get a small discount ordering online, depending on when you travel and how soon you order.
ski holidays
Thanks @volfy, I actually chatted with a couple of reps from the Via Lattea stand at the Battersea Ski Show last Saturday afternoon, who pointed me towards a couple of useful websites.
snow conditions
I am wanting 2 days skiing just in Montegenvre what the price for that please
ski holidays
best snow of all my Monty trips this march 20-22
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy