Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inter-resort travel VT, Chamonix & Tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

So just sorted out a season job and now I am just trying to settle on the location. My two options are Tignes and Chamonix. Both have pros and cons for me, I know Tignes like the the back of my hand and I have never skied Chamonix before. The way I am trying to settle this is by figuring out which one is most accessible to Val Thorens. I have some mates heading out there for a bit during the season so it would be good to go out there and meet them for a day or two here and there. Does anyone here know of convenient ways of doing this and also which resort would be most accessible for it? Quite frankly I am happy to ski, drive or bus it if necessary, I'm not fussed.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not aware of any easy public transport routes Chamonix-VT. And it's about an hour's further drive.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tignes massively easier - just route through Moutiers. Will you have a car? I suspect doing it by bus won't make for much of a day trip skiing.

Chamonix and Tignes really represent different things entirely in a season experience though both on the slopes and off- what do you actually want? NB the stuff that CHX is most famed for isn't necessarily the best thing for newbies until they've earned their spurs and it has far from the best piste skiing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you've not got a car it's not really practical to "nip to Val Thorens for a day" from either Tignes or CHamonix.

Easier from Tignes, by car a couple of hours each way if public transport I'd expect you're adding at least an hour to that!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Tignes massively easier - just route through Moutiers. Will you have a car? I suspect doing it by bus won't make for much of a day trip skiing.

Chamonix and Tignes really represent different things entirely in a season experience though both on the slopes and off- what do you actually want? NB the stuff that CHX is most famed for isn't necessarily the best thing for newbies until they've earned their spurs and it has far from the best piste skiing.

I could take my car but then I would need to find a place to put it. What I am looking for is a place with accessible good snow parks and nightlife for my days off. Problem with the Tignes job is its in Les Boisses at Tignes 1800 otherwise I definitely go for the Tignes job. Tignes 1800 seems pretty quiet, it looks more family friendly. And I was looking at shuttle buses and stuff down from Tignes Le Lac and Val Claret and they all stop running at midnight which is ok but not ideal really. I really just don't know what to expect out of Chamonix. If I can find a place to put my car for a reasonable price I might go for Chamonix.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@will9444555, One benefit of being in Tignes 1800 is that there is free parking.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rjs where is that located?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@will9444555, There is on road parking and a free first come first served carpark near the top of the chairlift from Brev. If you are in 1800 then it looks like you will be joining the other seasonaires staggering down the road just before sunrise!

As for Cham where exactly would you be there are lots of satellites which are probably more remote than Tignes 1800.

Allow 1hr40 by car from Tignes to Val T (but not on a Saturday!).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chocksaway wrote:
@will9444555, There is on road parking and a free first come first served carpark near the top of the chairlift from Brev. If you are in 1800 then it looks like you will be joining the other seasonaires staggering down the road just before sunrise!

As for Cham where exactly would you be there are lots of satellites which are probably more remote than Tignes 1800.

Allow 1hr40 by car from Tignes to Val T (but not on a Saturday!).

Sorry forgive me but what do you mean by satellites?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Tignes and rent a car for the day when you want to go to VT.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@will9444555, Lots of little villages that are quite remote with little night life.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've looked up car rental, it can be pretty pricey cos I'm under 30
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bus from Tignes to Moutiers, then change bus from Moutiers to Val Thorens - eg

https://www.altibus.com/documents/aeroports/2/navettes.pdf

http://www.transdevsavoie.com/media/upload/T3_VTO_MNR_hiver_2016-2017_valid--_le_28-09-16.pdf

Or use this route finder - http://www.mobisavoie.fr/jeton//index
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stephen buck,
Yeah I've been looking at bus routes and stuff. Looks like the best option probably!

Thanks guys, think I'm going with Tignes after much consideration!

One last thing if anyone knows much about it, but how good are the taxis in Tignes at night do they run throughout? Obviously 1800 is a bit out of the way from nightlife so it seems like the only viable option if I'm gonna enjoy any nightlife
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
will9444555 wrote:

One last thing if anyone knows much about it, but how good are the taxis in Tignes at night do they run throughout?

The taxi services are mainly concerned with airport transfers.
ski holidays
I think you would struggle to find a cab at 2AM - the vast majority of journeys within Tignes are walkable and to expand on what Dav said - they really don't want to be cleaning the puke out of a leather seated minibus before setting off to the airport at 5am (yes I am sterotyping a bit!).

Don't forget to ask around when you get into resort, lots of people go to Moutiers every day which takes some of the hasle out of it. Also hitching from Tignes to Bourg is eminently doable, mountain folk are pretty good about picking (single) lost souls up. I treat it as a free French lesson!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy