Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommended resorts in Austria (that also has plenty on offe for the none skiers in our party?)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi peeps,

So Its the time of the year when all the emails are coming through about ski holidays deals etc and iv ben looking at some ideas for our party for our 2018 ski holiday.

There will b be 10 x adults and 1 infant (4 adults and the infant won't be skiing) so we still nehave d plenty on offer for them to do.

2 of us went to Morzine last year (granted its France yes but thought I'd mention it anyway).... and we found it so nice and authentic . If there were none skiers with us there were plenty on offer.

I don't want to go the same resort though 2 times in a row, hence we're looking at Austria this time round, and with a. Much bigger party this time round.

By things to do, I mean like......
*'decent walking trails that are cleared and through snow lined trees so they get to experience the snow too
* snow shoe walking
* easy access to public transport like. Bus or jump on a train to the nearest or next big city / capital
* cake / coffee shops
* walks round lakes and other areas of interest
* able to use some of the lift infrastructure to get to places (like meeting up with us lot at lunch time).
I understand choice of chairlifts or gondolas are limited for none skiers, but if they do get access to some nevertheless then that would be ideal
* nice vibe to it and authentic ...... not a concrete purpose built jungle, so using Morzine again as an example....something large enough like that would be ideal.

My brother and his girlfriend went to Zell Am See a few years back and with it being a large authentic town and with a huge lake there, there was plenty of walking and none skiers activities on offer......however as he has already been there he would like to t somewhere new.

*'whilst I'm at it, a resort with he above in mind and plenty of long cruising blue and red runs are preferred. Reason being because within our group we have mixed ability skiers and snowboarders, hence blue and reds. Not bothered about black runs and greens don't even get a mention lol!! Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Perhaps Bad Hofgastein. Lots of spa stuff, proper towns. 40 minutes drive or train from Salzberg which is well worth a visit. The non skiers can walk or take the bus along the valley floor to Gastein and meet the skiers for lunch. The main lifts in Hofgastein and Gastein are both Gondola lifts to get the non skiers to the top of the mountain. Both are historic spa towns which although a little jaded are still nice in themselves and are year round towns.Plenty of red cruising for intermediates in the area. Have stayed in a few hotels in the area and the Goldberg at the top end is worth a visit in itself (and would be ideal for non skiers), the four star Klammers Kartern is good for families and has a lovely outdoor pool. I was also thinking of Kitzbuhel but the non ski activites would probably favour Bad Hofgastein.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think Kitzbuhel would be a good option. Proper old town, with a pedestrianised centre and plenty of shops, restaurants etc. Horse drawn carriage rides round town, and the indoor Aquarena pool complex is very good. Also on a main rail line so easy to visit say Innsbruck for a day out.

Alternatively Schladming, also a proper old town with a railway station so easy to visit Salzburg for a day.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's great guys, thanks for All the info wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would have said Kitzbuel,
but after going to Zell am Zee this year I would really recommend it for non skiers.

We were lucky enough to be there on a week when the lake froze over, which is a blast. (but I don't know if it happens often)
We spent a day walking around on the top of the mountain, very nice, and you could probably go around with a push chair.

There is a regular train to Salzburg if you want to get the sound of Music tour (takes about 90mins).

Regular train to Leogang if some of the party want to ski in Salbach area and meet up during the day.

Anyway, I think Austria would give you the experience that you are after.
Snow, Cake, Beer, Coffee, More Cake, Walking, more Cake, Some more coffee.
It just goes on.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry I just noticed that you have done Zell am see already ....

Best go to Hemmel Hempstead then.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DrLawn wrote:
Sorry I just noticed that you have done Zell am see already ....

Best go to Hemmel Hempstead then.

Haha Very Happy

We (as in me & the missus) haven't been Zel Am See.....it was my brother and his missus and that was 3 yrs ago.
That said, he would prefer to try somewhere different but still open to going back there, so all these tips will help me with our choice.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Another vote for Bad Hofgastein. Proper Spa town, good connections and some decent skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You can also try St Anton am Arlberg. For skiers you have the whole of the St Anton,St Christophe, lech,Zurich,Rendle plus more. For non skiers there walks plus other activities. Non skiers can get to the Gampen, Rendle and Galzig restaurants easily. Others are available by foot. If you decide to head here Suzi Snowflake and I can give you some of our favourite restaurants, runs, bars and spas
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
All the best bets already covered but when are you planning to go?
Zell is probably the best for the sheer variety of alternatives but the lake freezing to the extent thats its safely and officially opened is not a certainty and if it does it will be most likely in late January to mid February. Kitzbühel would be my next choice with the proviso that if you go late January it is race week so you'd want to consider whether that was a +ve or -ve for your party and the same for Schladming a few days later.
Gasteinertal too is another worthwhile option. Perhaps Seefeld, although the skiings not extensive there are other options around the Innsbruck area.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for Schladming, with a 'hiking lift pass' for non skiers, enables all the gonadal (and the odd chair!) lifts on all the 4 joined mountains, plus ski bus to surrounding resorts which are also included on the lift pass.

Cheers
Kev
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@KevWal, , how did you find information about the 'hiking lift pass'? If you have any links that would be great! Ange
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Si_Dean, Kitzbuhel
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@flangesax, Hi Ange, it does take a bit of finding!

Some info about Reiteralm one day hike passes here, E14.50 per adult:

https://www.reiteralm.at/de/winter/reiteralm/winterwandern

Multi-day hiking ticket passes here:

https://www.reiteralm.at/de/tickets-preise/preise-winter/fussgaenger-wanderer

Ahh the Planai version of the same info here:

http://www.planai.at/de/winter/winterwandern

Last year E75 for 4 days hiking more than paid for its self for the non skiers with 1 x Hockwurzen, 1 x Planai, 1 x Reiteralm and 1 x Dachstein trip.

Cheers
Kev

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 23-10-17 18:36; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Seefeld.
Bad Hofgastein.
Kitzbuehel.
Chamonix.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy