Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Would you recommend Norway for Beginners and Intermediates?

Poster: A snowHead
Would you recommend Norway for Beginners and Intermediates?

I am trying to think out of the box regarding Countries and resorts. I know that Norway is expensive but we would only need spending money for food

When is the season in Norway?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@NewSki, Some years ago I had a week in the resort of Geilo. It has skiing on both sides of the valley it lies in, and is very suitable for beginners and intermediates. I don't know how you are travelling to Norway but it lies on a main railway line from Oslo, so is quite easy to reach. Some useful info on Tripadvisor.

As an aside, if you fancy a day rest from skiing then by train you can go to the high mountain station stop of Myrdal from where the famous Flambahn railway descends all the way down to the village of Flam in the fjord below, a very scenic trip.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Trip report for Trysil from last year http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3052423&highlight=trysil#3052423.

@NewSki, why Norway particularly? The season typically runs from late November through April.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@NewSki, I have skied a few small resorts in Norway and they were certainly good for beginner/intermediates (not to say that some don't have more 'advanced' slopes). Where I first really got back into skiing TBH (was meant to be ice climbng, was too snowy...). Ability to have a go at cross country/Nordic forms too. We DIY flew in to Oslo and hired a car, but think that there are TO packages available from Gatwick (maybe elsewhere?).

Have you also thought about Finland/Lapland? Fair few package/TO trips there in Dec, Jan, Feb (maybe bit later?) - though arguably not necessarily the best time, it can be good conditions (or pretty cold and windy and wet also...) and will be snowsure. (You can DIY trip in later months, but direct flights may not be possible). The resorts there (and generally in Norway & Sweden too, I think) are low altitude and generally not very long runs, sometimes chairlift served but a lot of draglifts also. Depends on the resorts, usually not a huge selection of runs but good for learning and practicing; sometimes something more challenging thrown in too. Very rarely anywhere near approaching busy, some resorts do 10am-7pm skiing plus night skiing one day a week. Lessons easily available, often cheap. Would recommend it (or Norway), subject to being prepared for cold and/or bad weather (but that can be true of anywhere really). Added bonus of non-ski activities, reindeer, snowmobiles, huskies, staying in log cabins (or SC accommodation), Northern Lights possibilities etc.
But, yes, it is expensive. Buy beer at supermarket (spirits are special shops). SC doesn't work out too bad, cost-wise, with the odd pizza treat thrown in, maybe.
I love the scenry (trees, flat white iced over lakes, trees, trees and, um, trees Laughing ) and the weird Arctic light that you get in Jan/Feb, the fact that you get to start skiing with the sunrise and ski through the sunset and on under the floodlights. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My impression of Norway is that it's not as bad cost-wise as people think, as long as you're not after a big apres experience. All inclusive via Ski Safari is reasonable for what you get, or people on here have managed to DIY incredibly cheaply - try searching on Trysil and Cost maybe.

We've been at half term to Trysil - busy all week, and Myrkdalen - deserted during the week then the weekenders from Bergen arrive in numbers.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 19-07-17 9:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Themasterpiece wrote:
Trip report for Trysil from last year http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3052423&highlight=trysil#3052423.

@NewSki, why Norway particularly? The season typically runs from late November through April.

Wow a credit on the TR. Cheers!

Whilst we werent beginners I would heartily recommend Trysil for beginners as long as you can or have the aptitude to learn to stay on long drags (there so the wind doesn't close the whole resort).

You can get around pretty much all the resort on greens and blues. Ski school was excellent. No hooning around by other skiers in control or otherwise.

Self catering makes the cost not unreasonable. Skistar who seem to run most of the large resorts there are well organised.

I would expect the same holds for other Scandinavian resorts.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PS I believe that the Norwegian resorts will be well represented at the Telegraph ski show this year. Maybe worth heading to that if you want to do the rounds and can hold off booking it all (Don't think I could wait)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@NewSki, another Norwegian trip report, for Hemsedal, here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3023239&highlight=#3023239.
Hemsedal would be a pretty good place to learn, I think. Costs can be reasonable if you self cater (and don't drink too much alcohol). The weather could be, ummm, Arctic (it was -20 the day before we arrived last winter) but we've had 3 scandi trips so far and it's been very similar to the Alps in terms of weather.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mgrolf, +1 for Hemsedal for beginners, but as with all countries, check for Norwegian holidays because it can get busy. I've done a couple of TRs on Hemsedal somewhere on SHs, and a couple on Are too (Sweden - less suited to beginners IMO but better for intermediates)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I spent a long weekend in Trysil and had a great time, however it did not have any specific benefits over resorts in say Austria, but did have one big disadvantage for us (half a dozen guys), the cost of having a drink in the evening, it was eye watering.

For that reason alone I would always rate Austria over Norway, if you don't plan to drink, then it would be of no concern.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@JimboS, +1 - Norway is not the place to go if you want a few beers.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
...maybe you should reconsider Norway....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Snowman_(2017_film)
The film will be released by Universal Pictures on 20 October 2017.

Filming
Principal photography in Norway in the cities of Drammen, Oslo, and Bergen, and the area of Rjukan.

Plot
Detective Harry Hole (Michael Fassbender) investigates the disappearance of a woman whose pink scarf is found wrapped around an ominous-looking snowman.

uh oh!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Harry Hole,really?

Had a look at Rjukan. Looked really interesting with its history (Heroes of Telemark) and skiing down from the mountain top you get to from the underground train. If it wasn't for the poor snow at the time we were looking to book and the fear that they wouldnt have enough base for when we were looking to get there for a late Easter I would have likely gone there rather than Trysil. Also a bit limited on slope side accommodation.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair Pink wrote:
@NewSki, Some years ago I had a week in the resort of Geilo. It has skiing on both sides of the valley it lies in, and is very suitable for beginners and intermediates. I don't know how you are travelling to Norway but it lies on a main railway line from Oslo, so is quite easy to reach. Some useful info on Tripadvisor.

As an aside, if you fancy a day rest from skiing then by train you can go to the high mountain station stop of Myrdal from where the famous Flambahn railway descends all the way down to the village of Flam in the fjord below, a very scenic trip.

Snap we learnt there over 3 trips and enjoyed it. Got a little small after 3 years and there were a lot of tows but great resort.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
one way around the cost-of-alcohol issue is to take it with you. We went last year, each person took a 3L wine box, we were fine for the week. Ok some groups will want more than that...
snow conditions
We've been to trysil 3 time. Superb for beginners and intermediates. Go half board in a hotel (Radisson, Touristcentre is excellent) if possible, or self catering if you have a car and can go to the supermarket in town. We've only ever been in school holidays and found it really quiet on queues (compared to Austria and France). Weather has always been good for us. It can get windy hence a fair few drags, but this means skiiers are more spread out, without the constant 6/8 person arrivals of chairlifts say. Not a lot to do apart from skiing, though I'm sure there activities/trips you can do but we wouldn't have had the cash! We took a couple of boxes of wine which lasted the week no problem. Alternatively Oslo airport duty free is pretty good. We also enjoyed arums in Finland but flights and availability are restrictive.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy