Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet Staff - Wage confusion

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@ctskifam, Cheers! Hic!

Prof. Dougan is not a glass half full kind of guy I feel. At least not in a professional capacity.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Strax wrote:
Quote:

discussions about the consequences of brexit, that we should have had before the vote.

but as the EU is staffed by devious self serving lying rats, how could we ever predict what the consequences would be? All we could ever learn beforehand, is the worst possible propaganda which the Brussels Confederation wished to post. There was only one way to find out the true consequences of Brexit, and its under way just now.

Maybe in 70 years time the Italians and the Greeks will thank us for changing the form of the EU Constitution. Or maybe their memories will be as short as those of the French.
Whether we stay in or whether we leave, its just a bunch of politicians making it up as they go along. Not particularly reassuring in todays political arena.

Farage, Gove and Johnson told everyone that we could be rid of those corrupt unelected EU politicians and we could stop more people stealing our jobs in Starbucks. That was all most people wanted to hear.

What is now panning out across the ski industry and across the entire UK hospitality industry didn't take a lot of working out. Neither did it take a lot of working out that whilst the banks and insurance companies would still keep some presence in London, for regulation and (their £70bn) tax paying purposes they would relocate to Europe.

EU politicians are indeed devious lying rats, so are French ones, Austrian ones and so are the UK ones. We will continue to live being ruled by devious lying rats, just with high inflation, much less tax going into the UK coffers and with much fewer people to do our menial/NMW jobs.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ctskifam, assuming your chalets are in France, there is always hope that Macron is going to get more employer-friendly regulations though if you need to become a French business...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
adithorp wrote:
dp wrote:
@alasdair.graham@hotmail.c, it's how the youth hostels run in the UK. vast majority of YHAs are staffed by complete volunteers.

Isn't that the @nixmap, method?

May be is time for a new thread
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@nixmap, season is approaching isn't it? Recruitment time? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

@ctskifam, assuming your chalets are in France, there is always hope that Macron is going to get more employer-friendly regulations though if you need to become a French business...

There is some hope but I think we can look forward to a grève or two when French workers get back from their August holidays! Pushing through change is going to be far from straightforward.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name,
Quote:

I refer you to an actual expert who actually knows what he is talking about... and who predicted the current state of affairs really rather acccurately https://news.liverpool.ac.uk/2017/07/31/watch-project-fear-to-project-reality-prof-michael-dougan-one-year-on-from-eu-referendum/

To be fair, I am sure I could find you an expert in the subject of the National Lottery: but he still couldn't predict numbers this week. I don't believe anyone can accurately predict what the outcome from Brexit will be, but doubtless it will continue to evolve over many years: whatever is agreed as the "Exit" conditions will be tweeked over time.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The point, @Strax, is that Prof. Dougan was reviewing his (and colleagues) predictions in the light of the following 12 months, and turns out they got them pretty correct.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So . . . hypothetically . . . and 'older' more aware season worker signs on with a British tour operator . . . he/she/multiple choice has already sorted and bought a discounted lift pass, has their own equipment and drives down in a nice comfortable winterised camper van for accommodation. Are they in a position to tell the TO to pay them properly?

Just thinking ahead to my retirement Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Masque, no. The TOs aren't all that keen on their staff being independent and have a seemingly endless supply of young and cheap ones. But you don't have to work for a TO. And imo it's much better this way, at least for anyone over 25.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque wrote:
So . . . hypothetically . . . and 'older' more aware season worker signs on with a British tour operator . . . he/she/multiple choice has already sorted and bought a discounted lift pass, has their own equipment and drives down in a nice comfortable winterised camper van for accommodation. Are they in a position to tell the TO to pay them properly?

Just thinking ahead to my retirement Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I worked for Crystal in my first season (some 10 years ago or so now), and they paid you, and then a couple of days later took out a "provision of services" charge from your account to cover accom, transport, lift pass etc. so in theory you could do as said. In reality it wouldn't work that well, we didn't find out resort until towards the end of training week, and could be moved to other resorts should staffing levels require it...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
EU Directive on Posted Workers? Article in recent Economist about bar workers posted to the Alps for 10 months but based out of UK. Costs would be 40% higher without Directive. Firm will move to Dublin on Brexit.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy