Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet Staff - Wage confusion

Poster: A snowHead
I am estimating (imo) that British Employees in EU winter & summer resorts will drop dramatically after March 2019 probably to around 10% of the current numbers.

edited

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 31-07-17 16:24; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is a drop of 10% dramatic? I'd say that was a remarkably small drop based on your earlier predictions. Whats caused you to change your view? Toofy Grin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mrs May has just put the nail in the coffins of thousands of British Winter & Summer resort workers as from March 2019..

RIP British Seasonaires (EU)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah, so you thought "I am estimating (imo) that British Employees in EU winter & summer resorts will drop dramatically after March 2019 probably to around 90% of the current numbers." meant a drop of 90% and then a quick edit would go un-noticed hide your stupidity?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@adithorp, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@adithorp, It is a reasonable assumption if EU citizens from march 2019 cannot travel & work freely in the UK.

Did you not hear Mrs Merkels comment after the announcement .. "there will be a cost"
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rolling eyes
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd say the likely answer will be in EU Passports, if you want to work in Europe then you'll be able to buy EU citizenship. Anyone who doesn't want to pay their 'respects' will most likely be excluded from the party. It's probably the best that we can expect Puzzled
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Daleskier wrote:
I'd say the likely answer will be in EU Passports, if you want to work in Europe then you'll be able to buy EU citizenship. Anyone who doesn't want to pay their 'respects' will most likely be excluded from the party. It's probably the best that we can expect Puzzled

So how do non-EU citizens work in the EU right now?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
froomie wrote:
Daleskier wrote:

They get a work permit, but you are still subject to non EU migration control, so quite a reduction in rights!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
froomie wrote:
Daleskier wrote:

Most Australians (at least in ski resorts) seem to do 'black work' from what I've seen.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, they do but they are on gap years,not their job!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Daleskier, sure, but the whole thread is about chalet workers!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
froomie wrote:
Daleskier wrote:

Most Ozzy´s you see worjkng in Austria are dual Passport (mostly British) holders but I believe Austria,Australia,Canada also has bilateral work experience visas between their countries.

Other Non EU who apply for Jobs (Hotels,Etc). The employer sponsors them and will apply for their Visas.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
clarky999 wrote:

Precisely. We are talking about 5/6 month seasonal workers, not permanent overseas residents.

What "reduction in rights" would you anticipate for chalet workers? I can see nothing changing from a worker's perspective, they'll continue to get board and lodging, lift pass, equipment hire, a bit of spending cash thrown in and be squeezed into cramped living quarters. All of which they will gleefully accept as it will give them a full season of skiing, partying and enjoying each other's company.
snow report
National insurance contributions, paying tax in pounds, the ability to leave and come back when you want, recognition of driving qualifications, use of British car in Europe, etc. For sure the face of the ski industry that you meet is the chalet host doing a season, and year 1 they probably don't give a dammbut there are plenty of us who are drivers ski techs etc who do this every year as part of their working year. Everyone is on the same deal pretty much. Sorry if I've veared off topic a bit!
snow report
Daleskier wrote:
National insurance contributions, paying tax in pounds, the ability to leave and come back when you want, recognition of driving qualifications, use of British car in Europe, etc. For sure the face of the ski industry that you meet is the chalet host doing a season, and year 1 they probably don't give a dammbut there are plenty of us who are drivers ski techs etc who do this every year as part of their working year. Everyone is on the same deal pretty much. Sorry if I've veared off topic a bit!

So in your vision of Brexit British cars are no longer able to drive in the EU? Non-EU dirving licences no longer valid throughout the entire EU? You actually believe that UK nationals won't even be able to travel to and from the EU at all? How on earth do the citizens of all the other non-EU countries come and go?
ski holidays
froomie wrote:

Non-EU dirving licences no longer valid throughout the entire EU?

They are valid for a limited time only.

but chalet companies having to comply with French employment legislation will be the big killer.

The lowest paid staff at Club Med in France are on 1000 euros a month, cash. That's after they get food, liftpass and accommodation.
latest report
froomie wrote:

So in your vision of Brexit British cars are no longer able to drive in the EU? Non-EU dirving licences no longer valid throughout the entire EU?

We won't need to as we'll all have self driving cars by then Toofy Grin
snow conditions
froomie wrote:
clarky999 wrote:

Precisely. We are talking about 5/6 month seasonal workers, not permanent overseas residents.

What "reduction in rights" would you anticipate for chalet workers? I can see nothing changing from a worker's perspective,

As Davidoff suggests, I think they will lose the automatic right to just come and work and will probably need some sort of permit, which means the companies bringing them will probably find their current 'secondment' loophole closed as they'll have to apply for the permits which will probably be contingent on complying with local employment regulations.

So the workers themselves will probably get a better deal - as long as the TO's are able to pay them minimum wage without raising prices so much they put customers off.
ski holidays
Not so bothered about the large TO's they'll find a way. I'd be more bothered about the many smaller expat run businesses out there.
snow report
I find this all a bit confusing but maybe because we're talking "EU" but really meaning "France".

What's the deal with Brit chalet holiday set ups in Austria, Switzerland and Italy?
latest report
Hand Wringer wrote:
I find this all a bit confusing but maybe because we're talking "EU" but really meaning "France".

What's the deal with Brit chalet holiday set ups in Austria, Switzerland and Italy?

Switzerland the TO model is basically dead n buried. Austria lives on although competive guesthouses etc have never made the model as big. Italy - no idea but the hotels are so cheap and so good that I'd have thought difficult to make a chalet model stick.
snow report
UK folks will fall into the same category as Non EU i.e there will be two choices.

Legal: Employment through an EU (France,Austria etc) established business. Being on a normal pay scheme (Taxes,Social,Pension, Insurance, Leave etc). This will almost certainly require work visas as the UK appears to be not adopting any Norway or Swiss style model whcih would allow you to work freely.
It is very unlikely that any new EU-UK treaty will be in place March 2019.

Illegal : Black Market Work.

In short: British Chalets companies will have to change their whole business model to conform. i.e they will no longer be "British Chalet" (registered Austrian,French, Italian) companies. British (numbers) workers will be hugely reduced as the current system (paid, taxed in UK) will not be allowed & in the future visas will be required to work in the EU.

Only the clients will be British
ski holidays
Daleskier wrote:
there are plenty of us who are drivers ski techs etc who do this every year as part of their working year.

What do you do for the rest of the year?
snow report
ClubMed staff work very hard and take the work very seriously, more so than many young chalet staff in my experience. Many of them do not ski as they see the hotel trade as a career. However you cannot compare gap year adolescents and adults who are making a legitimate career in the mountains such as Daleskier

Any Irish grand parents? Many Kiwis use that as a way to work in Europe. My mother still holds her Eire passport after being in UK for sixty years so would consider it myself, but my wife does not so pointless.
latest report
"""Or take European Pubs, which operates bars and restaurants in French resorts frequented by British skiers. The chief executive, Charles Owen, has built his firm on the back of one bit of EU regulation, the Posted Workers Directive, which enables him to send British staff to work in the Alps for up to ten months a year on British pay and conditions. Employing EU workers would add about 40% to his wage bill, he says, and destroy the business. Mr Owen wants to open a subsidiary in Dublin so that he can continue operating in the EU."""

https://www.economist.com/news/britain/21725780-uncertainty-about-britains-departure-eu-deepens-bosses-are-preparing-move
ski holidays
Quote:

Mr Owen wants to open a subsidiary in Dublin so that he can continue operating in the EU
. The challenge of this is that there simply won't be enough Irish workers if all of the UK companies making use of the PWD set up an Irish company. UK companies seconded around 40,000 people to Europe in 2016. The UK doesn't report by sector, but perhaps as many as 18,000 of those were in leisure / tourism roles with approx 6,000 being in ski. That's a lot of bodies to recruit from a small population.

There is a 1956 agreement that allows secondment of workers between UK & France but it would almost certainly need dusting off and refreshing. If there is a will to do that I think it is very likely that the French would insist on at least some element of French social charges having to be paid. So secondment may still be possible but the cost hit would still be there.

In practice the only beneficiary to any change is going to be the tax man in the country where work is taking place ... if indeed Tour Operators and others can identify a way to restructure their models and pricing that enables them to continue trading at all.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ctskifam, I would expect that under freedom of movement, there's nothing to stop him permanently employing e.g. a Spanish waiter in his Irish company and posting them to France temporarily under PWD.
latest report
@under a new name, not quite that simple. This is where interpretation of the PWD gets murky. In theory that should be feasible ... if the Spanish waiter has been living and working in Ireland and paying in to the Irish social security system prior to being seconded. The reality is that a French labour inspector (sticking with the France focus) might struggle to accept a non Irish passport holder being seconded by an Irish employer.
latest report
@ctskifam, I read an article recently that broke non-UK EU employees in the UK down by sector - pretty scary reading - food production for in stance was ~50%, but I can't find it.

I'm not sure that non-cadre staff in France are that much more expensive than seconded UK workers. But it does mean understanding the system. And having a French representation of some description.

I'd get a solid Irish legal opinion and run with PWD in the first instance, myself.
snow conditions
To return to the OP question regarding NMW, there is some mis-understanding here.
NMW is calculated by our dear HMRC on wages AFTER deductions. So if your accommodation fees/lift passes are deducted from your wages, then your salary should be NMW plus your accommodation fees/lift passes.

We found this out the hard way: as an employer, deducting Childcare vouchers from an employee who not on NMW but who was seeking to save tax and NI on her childcare by using the Childcare Vouchers scheme.
HMRC came in and investigated us, and found we were technically paying below NMW because with Childcare Voucher deductions, the employees' take home was below NMW. They applied the same rules to subsidised food in the café, uniforms and even Court settlements where we were required to make deductions from staffwages to pay their CCJs.

A large number of Day Care Nurseries were investigated last year, and found non-compliant. HMRC find these anomalies, and prey on a sector for a short period of time to maximize revenues. Online tax submissions have reduced their normal income stream.

Reads different when HMRC post it:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/record-number-of-employers-named-and-shamed-for-underpaying
snow report
The more I read this thread the more I realise no one has a clue what is going to happen. A year ago speaking to mates with chalet companies everyone seemed sanguine. Now everyone is shitting themselves. 12 months later we are only starting to have discussions about the consequences of brexit, that we should have had before the vote.
snow report
@Strax, Not entirely correct there is an allowed offset for accommodation (currently £44.80 a week). No other company benefits (subsidised food, uniforms childcare etc.) count towards minimum wage. I am surprised that CCJ deductions were disallowed as these are NOT company benefits.
latest report
Quote:

The more I read this thread the more I realise no one has a clue what is going to happen.

@Daleskier, that's what it looks like to me, although some online rag today suggested that the EU are worried that the UK actually has a grand (cunning) master plan to be produced at the 11th hours (presumably, with a tail hung on it and called "Badger").
snow report
Quote:

discussions about the consequences of brexit, that we should have had before the vote.

but as the EU is staffed by devious self serving lying rats, how could we ever predict what the consequences would be? All we could ever learn beforehand, is the worst possible propaganda which the Brussels Confederation wished to post. There was only one way to find out the true consequences of Brexit, and its under way just now.

Maybe in 70 years time the Italians and the Greeks will thank us for changing the form of the EU Constitution. Or maybe their memories will be as short as those of the French.
Whether we stay in or whether we leave, its just a bunch of politicians making it up as they go along. Not particularly reassuring in todays political arena.
snow conditions
Quote:
but as the EU is staffed by devious self serving lying rats,

Unlike our own politicians! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Daleskier wrote:
The more I read this thread the more I realise no one has a clue what is going to happen. A year ago speaking to mates with chalet companies everyone seemed sanguine. Now everyone is shitting themselves. 12 months later we are only starting to have discussions about the consequences of brexit, that we should have had before the vote.

Did they honestly not worry about the way things were likely to go before, during and after the vote?

It is actually possible to comply with French employment rules whilst running a chalet, you just don't make much money at all; surely, however, they must see it as a "lifestyle business" anyway?
snow report
@Strax,

Quote:

how could we ever predict what the consequences would be?

I refer you to an actual expert who actually knows what he is talking about... and who predicted the current state of affairs really rather acccurately https://news.liverpool.ac.uk/2017/07/31/watch-project-fear-to-project-reality-prof-michael-dougan-one-year-on-from-eu-referendum/
snow conditions
Quote:

I refer you to an actual expert who actually knows what he is talking about... and who predicted the current state of affairs really rather accurately https://news.liverpool.ac.uk/2017/07/31/watch-project-fear-to-project-reality-prof-michael-dougan-one-year-on-from-eu-referendum/

Having watched that through its hard to know whether to knock back a large drink, type up my CV or slash my wrists.

I think many within the ski sector did see the massive challenges that would come about if there was a "Leave" vote. We just didn't think that it would happen or, if it did, that it could possibly be managed this badly.

Sadly staff heavy (and slim margin) tour operating models may just be one of many sectors that takes a good old kicking as a result the omnishambles that is Brexit.

I've decided to go with the drink ...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy