Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chasing snow and living in constant winter...?

Poster: A snowHead
Howdy,

I'm interested to know how many Snowheads spend time chasing the snow all year round? What are everyone's experiences of jumping between northern and southern hemisphere... How did you cope living in constant winter? Where did you ski/live, what you do for work?? Cool

https://radseason.com/chasing-snow-could-you-survive-in-constant-winter/

EP
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Reading the Queenstown thread, sounds like things don't get going until July down there. Where would you go May and June? Lapland, but even that is getting patchy in June.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Iceland - very late season there...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glaciers?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
New Zealand really doesn't get going until mid late July, Turoa has only just opened it's lifts this weekend, and by mid lat Sept it's kinda over. It's a short season, The South island is a little better, but not much. However there is some great touring f you are prepared to hike, better still do multi day tours to really get in the wilderness.

If you want lift accessed skiing and you're in Europe, given the NZ exchange rate you're better off staying in there and skiing the glaciers.

New Zealand is awesome, but it is not the mecca for resort skiing that some people like to believe - most good skiers that don't live near the hills (and can afford it) ski Japan and the States, and only grab a trip "in country" if a good deal comes up, or if the urge to ski gets to much!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You can ski Norway, Russia and Georgia into June if you want to.

Endless winter? Personally no thanks. After 6 months of skiing I'm always stoked for kayaking, board shorts, flip flops, bikinis, summer dresses, beer outside on the balcony in the evening. Then by the time September rolls around the fire is burning for skiing again just as the glaciers open.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@clarky999, I am with you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+2

Reasons for seasons Wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@clarky999, ...right on the button...

Nov ... strip off the storage wax
Dec to April .... get up the hill
May to June ... bad patch of withdrawal, endless fiddling with gear, try to get back into climbing and mountain-biking
June ... finally out of bad patch and get up the hill on bikes
July Aug ... high as poss in the Alps with bits of string and clinking metal
Sept-Nov ... get increasingly fed up that being out on the bike is getting colder and darker; get the crampons out for some winter stuff in the Lakes...
Repeat
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I like spring and autumn but summer bums me out. Everyone saying what lovely weather when the slightest activity starts you sweating and public transport is hellish isn't much fun. I'd settle for winter - spring on repeat. Spring it's usually warm enough to be wearing shorts and flip flops in most ski resorts anyway.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't do it, but I'd love to. I reckon that if you lived in the European higher regions you could have a pretty good time most of the year, with the option of enjoying some pretty good summer weather (and some pretty good winter and spring sun sometimes too) and many alternative outdoor activities if you get fed up of the glaciers.
Now, why did I never learn foreign languages, discover a bit earlier what I really most love in life and take the plunge and move over there when I was younger? Silly, scaredy-cat me Crying or Very sad Have the time to do it now, maybe even, just, the resources: just not the courage Sad .
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Reminds me of this thread:-
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=392045&highlight=1000+consecutive#392045
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

if you live in the European higher regions you can have a pretty good time most of the year, with the option of enjoying some pretty good summer weather (and some pretty good winter and spring sun sometimes too) and many outdoor activities

FIFY

Quote:

just not the courage

Why ever not?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Love the summer (bodyboarding, cycling), spring (more cycling, just with a thicker top on), autumn (more cycling, with wider knobbly tires) and real winter (cold, snow optional). Do not like mild, slightly damp, grey winters (which is a shame, cos I lives in Kairdiff)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dave of the Marmottes, that's because you live in the UK and don't a proper climate or seasons where you can more or less gradually acclimatise as they change.
latest report
valais2 wrote:
@clarky999, ...right on the button...

Nov ... strip off the storage wax
Dec to April .... get up the hill
May to June ... bad patch of withdrawal, endless fiddling with gear, try to get back into climbing and mountain-biking
June ... finally out of bad patch and get up the hill on bikes
July Aug ... high as poss in the Alps with bits of string and clinking metal
Sept-Nov ... get increasingly fed up that being out on the bike is getting colder and darker; get the crampons out for some winter stuff in the Lakes...
Repeat

July - Oct ... high as poss in the hills with bikes and such
Nov ... get increasingly fed up that being out on the bike is getting colder and darker

(I like spring and autumn)
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, that's because you live in the UK and don't a proper climate or seasons where you can more or less gradually acclimatise as they change.

Well that and the constant humidity when it does get hot. I suspect I could get used to living somewhere like Utah (politics and religion aside) even though it gets scorchio in summer but Singapore never.

Mind you I've been in the Alps some summer days when the only sensible thing to do is stride straight from a lift to the nearest shady terrace.
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, 'tis true.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy