Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worst ski runs in the world

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure we've done it before but the carving thread prompted me by consensus that Pierre a Ric is usually a nightmare cos of punter traffic.

I'd add Happy Valley - St Anton
Green road down to L2A

Any other nominees
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Boulevard Cumin in VT.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Santons - Val D.

Any piste with @mihaid or @stanton on it.

No scratch the last statement, as Mav said, "I call that a target rich environment."
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Any piste with @mihaid or @stanton on it.

Oh wait, neither of them actually ski do they...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I thought that if you picked the right time Pierre a Ric was fantastic.

My worst one has to be Ours into Mottaret too flat but better than it used to be.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Boulevard Cumin in VT.

This was the first thing that came to my mind too. Tis especially fun first thing on a morning when its thawed and refrozen over night rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

.....Green road down to L2A.......

+1 for the 'road'..... Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't know what it's called but that enormously long flat path in Kitzbuhel that leads down to Aurach, from where the only way out is by helpfully waiting taxi.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any run that has no snow on it
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wilde Grub'n, Stubai Glacier. The only (*only*) redeeming feature is that you don't have to download at the end of the day.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Piste M in Val 'isere the way down from Solaise to Val. especially late in the day.

Icy with narrow steep sections and full of scared beginners.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The run from the Boe lift to Passo Campolongo at three in the afternoon, all moguled up, a timid skier sat on each lump, and smart alecs weaving in and out of them at high speed. Horrible! Confused snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know it's the silly season and all but aren't most of these "functional" runs e.g. to avoid downloading, so a. can be avoided and b. not really open to criticism on that basis.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
TQA wrote:
Piste M in Val 'isere the way down from Solaise to Val. especially late in the day.

Many years since I have skied in Val D. I don't remember Piste M - but when I was there, that description suited Verte down to La Daille. Often in a state of bottle ice, with the odd bit of thin powdery snow which the more expert can turn on, whilst beginners crashed into the rocks at the side. Got when I was a beginner, and in turn I saw it happen to many others over the years.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oooh, the ski runs I got were in St.Anton after getting into a pile of moody gammon... spoo
ski holidays
Les Desmoiselles or whatever the back to resort green is in LDA
snow report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Boulevard Cumin in VT.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried it twice.

There is a green in Killington where they should really sell you skins before you start. It is either Great Northern or Great Eastern
latest report
achilles wrote:
TQA wrote:

Many years since I have skied in Val D. I don't remember Piste M - but when I was there, that description suited Verte down to La Daille. Often in a state of bottle ice, with the odd bit of thin powdery snow which the more expert can turn on, whilst beginners crashed into the rocks at the side. Got when I was a beginner, and in turn I saw it happen to many others over the years.

Verte is usually in very good nick these days. The snowmaking has helped enormously over the last few years and even if its "hard" its rarely a problem.

I avoid Piste M late in the day - can be mogully, icy, or just chocka with people sideslipping. Should be better now that the new Solaise is in situ and beginners can download a lot easier.
latest report
Plein Sud in Val Thorens can be a minefield late in the day. Lots of traffic heading back to the hotels plus people who've over indulged at the Folie Douce, combined with the lower half especially being very chopped up make it a challenging experience!
snow conditions
Red 66 (I think), the return route from the Rastkogel (Mayrhofen) area down to the base of Penken valley.
Long soft to crudded & bumped (BT traffic) snowfield, often crazily busy with way too many mainly early intermediate skiers and boarders who haven't got a technical clue how to deal with it - then feeds via narrow linking further descent into more long field of the same, only steeper, busier and often hardpack to ice.
Get the cable car!!!
ski holidays
Anything you have to pole on. Give me a mogul field, cut up and slushy, anyday over poling.
snow report
Thornyhill wrote:
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Boulevard Cumin in VT.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried it twice

I haven't Very Happy The one time I made the mistake it was made worse by the fact I was with a early intermediate 'border that I had to drag halfway.
latest report
I quite like Boulevard Cumin but Mont du Vallon for some reason gives me the heebie-jeebies despite knowing that I've skied much steeper/worse. I just don't go there now, although I know that's a bit irrational.
latest report
The green back to resort in L2A.

As a first week skier at the time, I can confirm it was blooming awful. Especially at 4PM!
snow conditions
Anything in Morzine.
ski holidays
Last steepish pitch on Valfagehr in St Anton, just above Rauz, anytime after around 9:30am. Usually glazed ice, studded with piles of scraped snow, and crowded. Suicide alley.
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, Happy Valley.

The home run at Kaltenbach after 4pm!
latest report
In reality there is no such thing as a bad ski run. Sure some are flat but functional, some get busy but with experience you'll know when and anyway it's a challenge, some get icy/rutted so ditto the last point.

One run I remember not liking was a run above Courcheval 1650 (I think) that had a series of rollers/ridges that stretched across the piste and were thus unavoidable. Rollers are no fun IMO.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Rollers are no fun IMO.

Really? Why? Personally I like pistes with changes of pitch, bends, banks etc. I'm less enamoured by ones that are straight and constant gradient - just a bit uninspiring, Unless they are VERY steep of course Very Happy
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Rollers are no fun IMO.

Really? Why?

Because you can't do much with them. You can't ski round them like a mogul. You can't really jump them like a riser. You just kinda piston the knees ride them. Not easy to describe, I just don't like them. It's quite rare to get natural rollers. If they are varied in height, gap, they are fine. By me.
snow report
Layne wrote:
jedster wrote:
Quote:

Rollers are no fun IMO.

Really? Why?

Because you can't do much with them. You can't ski round them like a mogul. You can't really jump them like a riser. You just kinda piston the knees ride them. Not easy to describe, I just don't like them. It's quite rare to get natural rollers. If they are varied in height, gap, they are fine. By me.

The wu tangs you get on a flat cat track that isn't groomed everyday but gets high traffic can be a right PITA , you want to maintain speed but are losing energy with each "absorb" or you relax and run the risk of launching. Same as a high traffic traverse where you end up scrubbing your tips more and more uphill and trashing the traverse to avoid being launched off it.
snow conditions
Last stretch of the Vallee Blanche below the glacier down through the trees and rocks - its better to walk up to the railway and catch the train.
ski holidays
Quote:

its better to walk up to the railway and catch the train

Totally depends on conditions. Was absolutely fine last time I skied it.
snow report
ansta1 wrote:
Santons - Val D.

Actually it's a good run when it's quiet. Admittedly that doesn't happen all that often.
snow report
I agree with all those comments about green run down into l2a, however my absolute worst run is the one at the end of the holiday Crying or Very sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy